Forfar v Elgin

1 hour ago, theSilverFox said:

I thought, bar the two calamities, we played some amazing football today. It’s hard when the opposition has everyone behind the ball and everyone is a clogger or a cart horse 

I agree with this . I quite enjoyed watching us today v 11 or 10 men behind the ball it was never going to easy to break down. 

thomson was outstanding I thought . 

2 hours ago, TheClosingArguement said:

7 wins since boxing day. Frankly what's more embarrassing is that more people aren't concerned at how utterly grim it is so watch us be a completely different team each week. 

Fair enough. But what was so different from last week to this week? Apart from the result but play wise we are playing some good stuff. Hopefully Keatings can get fit and get on the end of the balls onto the box 

Just now, C_titz said:

Fair enough. But what was so different from last week to this week? Apart from the result but play wise we are playing some good stuff. Hopefully Keatings can get fit and get on the end of the balls onto the box 

Had the keeper not made 2 blunders last week we wouldn't have scored. Irvine wants to walk the ball into the net. 

Irvine got the job because the club were too cheap to get anyone else in. He's inexperienced, unwilling to expirement & judging by his wee point & stare at some of those on the terracing, he doesn't take criticism well. 

I don't think it's a poor group of players, it's definitely down to the coaching. 

7 minutes ago, TheClosingArguement said:

Had the keeper not made 2 blunders last week we wouldn't have scored. Irvine wants to walk the ball into the net. 

Irvine got the job because the club were too cheap to get anyone else in. He's inexperienced, unwilling to expirement & judging by his wee point & stare at some of those on the terracing, he doesn't take criticism well. 

I don't think it's a poor group of players, it's definitely down to the coaching. 

Who would you have given the job to? Realistically who can we attract that’s not up and coming 

1 minute ago, C_titz said:

Who would you have given the job to? Realistically who can we attract that’s not up and coming 

Considering we were in free fall from the second malcolm walked in the door, once he bolted we should've got literally anyone with experience. Going from one inexperienced manager to a total novice was an appalling decision. 

Every appointment since Dick left has been laughable. 

But hey, as long as the sportsman's dinner sells out, who cares eh. 

3 minutes ago, TheClosingArguement said:

Considering we were in free fall from the second malcolm walked in the door, once he bolted we should've got literally anyone with experience. Going from one inexperienced manager to a total novice was an appalling decision. 

Every appointment since Dick left has been laughable. 

But hey, as long as the sportsman's dinner sells out, who cares eh. 

Jim weir almost had us in the championship ?

3 minutes ago, C_titz said:

Jim weir almost had us in the championship ?

Jim Weir had Baird, Hilson, Spencer, Moore, eckersley... 

Once he lost half that side he showed his true form. 

Edited by TheClosingArguement

Just now, TheClosingArguement said:

Jim Weir had Baird, Hilson, Spencer, Moore, eckersley... 

Once he lost half that side he showed his true form. 

Jim weir also signed these players? Any club would struggle to replace these players 

Just now, C_titz said:

Jim weir also signed these players? Any club would struggle to replace these players 

I mean, if it hadn't have been for Hilson & Millar we'd have been relegated under Weir when he came in. Total fairytale that any of that playoff season was his doing. 

28 minutes ago, TheClosingArguement said:

I mean, if it hadn't have been for Hilson & Millar we'd have been relegated under Weir when he came in. Total fairytale that any of that playoff season was his doing. 

This is the most ridiculous thing I’ve read in a long time. Weir had us playing unbelievably and things only started to unravel after his crash

1 hour ago, TheClosingArguement said:

tbh, I wouldn't have been shocked if elgin pumped us had it remained 11 vs 11. 

You must’ve been at a different game to me

1 hour ago, WeAreElgin said:

Good to see the Forfar massive are taking it well

Smug is never a good look. Do you really think Elgin deserved anything from that game today?

I’m not feeling overly positive after today, I can see why some people are and obviously that’s their view, but the fact is that we failed to get three points against ten men.

We started off very poorly and Andy Munro is at fault for the first goal, punts an aimless ball straight to their keeper and he returns the favour except Hester can get onto it before Munro gets near and it’s 1-0. I don’t think we played that well at all in the first half and we were fortunate that Brian Cameron pulled off the best save of the match. Aitken stepped up to score but that’s about all he did in his time on the pitch.

Second half we did have Elgin camping in their half, but we didn’t do much with the ball and Kane Hester seemed to be playing as a CM for the first fifteen of the half, likely to try and absorb any Loons pressure that may have come.

It was a daft challenge from Marc to make and it’s good to see he was able to continue. On the point of him continuing, was it maybe that he was just winded that he stayed down rather than unconscious? That is the only reason I can think of for him staying on.

We seemed to look better when Armour and Flanagan came on, Flanagan is obviously still getting up to speed but Armour looked good, resulting in a deserved goal.

Towards the end we should have won, but we didn’t and our insistence on passing the ball between the defenders instead of having a go is frustrating. The referee was horrendous, how he missed the handball in the second half I have no idea.

I still feel Irvine’s peg should be shaky, and I don’t see that changing any time soon.

On Weir, his first eighteen months at the club were great, but his signings after we failed to get promotion were what cost us, even before his crash. We hadn’t won in over a month prior to it and performances were not great either. I get that people liked him and so did I, but let’s not pretend that the team’s form prior to his crash was promotion chasing material.

Bit conflicted after today. Some great moves in the second half -- slicing Elgin open but we just couldn't get the ball in the net. Twenty shots to Elgin's two tells the story. Irvine's like for like subs and cautious approach continues to do my head in, why on earth do we need four defenders on the park in the later stages? 

Edit: Flanagan clearly not up to speed yet but as expected looks class and gives us something a bit different.

Edited by Jupiter Jazz

I choose to be optimistic. Forfar seem to have a really good playing style now, Thomson and Nditi overlapping was great to see. Flanagan (once he can manage 90 minutes) looks brilliant. Slater is just a class above. 

Yes we should've won, with over 20 shots in a game  and Elgin down to 10 men (9 for the final 5 mins) you'd hope to have scored more than two, but let's not forget Forfar were getting kicked and fouled all day long and the referee was well...

Today was like those games you sometimes get on Football Manager we were in control the whole time but drew the game because of two stupid mistakes from our players, if you could refresh or reload the game we'd probably win 3-0.

However, I would start Armour over Matty next week, and possibly Flanagan for Hanratty (if he's fit enough).

1 hour ago, fafc1885 said:

I’m not feeling overly positive after today, I can see why some people are and obviously that’s their view, but the fact is that we failed to get three points against ten men.

We started off very poorly and Andy Munro is at fault for the first goal, punts an aimless ball straight to their keeper and he returns the favour except Hester can get onto it before Munro gets near and it’s 1-0. I don’t think we played that well at all in the first half and we were fortunate that Brian Cameron pulled off the best save of the match. Aitken stepped up to score but that’s about all he did in his time on the pitch.

Second half we did have Elgin camping in their half, but we didn’t do much with the ball and Kane Hester seemed to be playing as a CM for the first fifteen of the half, likely to try and absorb any Loons pressure that may have come.

It was a daft challenge from Marc to make and it’s good to see he was able to continue. On the point of him continuing, was it maybe that he was just winded that he stayed down rather than unconscious? That is the only reason I can think of for him staying on.

We seemed to look better when Armour and Flanagan came on, Flanagan is obviously still getting up to speed but Armour looked good, resulting in a deserved goal.

Towards the end we should have won, but we didn’t and our insistence on passing the ball between the defenders instead of having a go is frustrating. The referee was horrendous, how he missed the handball in the second half I have no idea.

I still feel Irvine’s peg should be shaky, and I don’t see that changing any time soon.

On Weir, his first eighteen months at the club were great, but his signings after we failed to get promotion were what cost us, even before his crash. We hadn’t won in over a month prior to it and performances were not great either. I get that people liked him and so did I, but let’s not pretend that the team’s form prior to his crash was promotion chasing material.

Would agree with nearly all of this, certainly don’t share some fans optimism as where it really counted ( in either penalty box) thought we were poor . McCallum made the first an easy finish for Hester and was crazy for the second. Perhaps if we didn’t have such an absolute jobber of a back up keeper he might actually feel some pressure.

The way Forfar played  yesterday was another step up in performance. Some of the quick, close passing then moving the ball on was excellent. There were some superb incisive long balls from Slater who maybe tired a bit at the end, but was in control. He's some player. I'd say all outfield players had great games. Worrying that White didn't come back on after a knock at the half time whistle (hopefully not serious) but Tarek, although totally different in style, was excellent. Nditi deserves special mention - tremendous game. The front men were playing well and even Matty was holding up and laying the ball off nicely 😉 but Armour impressed as well. The only continuing problem seems to be McCallum's run of fairly poor (by his standard) run of games. The less said about Elgin's display the better, though.

Couldn't get to Kirkcaldy yesterday so took this in - thought Forfar played some really good football; Slater and Thomson the standouts. Keeper looks a bit of a liability. Agree with the FM analogy above, Forfar probably win that game the next 3 times you restart. 

Really enjoyed 2nd ever visit to Station Park (and first sober); will be back. 

Edited to add - the ref was diabolical.

Edited by raith_94