Greenock Morten vs Dundee FC - 20/08/2022

Just now, port-ton said:

Mcmullan will give far more experienced fullbacks a much harder time than he gave King today.  17 years old and already played left back, left wing and central midfield for us off the top of my head.  Boy has a real future of he keeps at it. 

My MOTM by a country mile 

This looks like it’s going to be a tight league.  Most fans from every club knew this (despite the banter about strolling the league from various fans of 2 or 3 clubs).  I do not think Morton will win this league but I think they, and a number of similar clubs, can easily take points off the top 3-4 teams, especially at home.  For that reason I’m not too worried about this result at this stage of the season.

21 minutes ago, virginton said:

As for Dundee, while the squad clearly has some quality players, it's hard to see what the strengths of the team are yet. Early days of course but it's hard to work out what the game plan is supposed to be with you: what a 'Dundee goal' should typically look like. 

It usually involves one of our wide players deciding to play a decent ball in, but that was definitely not on the cards today. Bowyer tried selling us that Grayson was Charlie Adam-esque with his delivery. Tidy enough midfielder but I am left severely wanting from his set-pieces.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

1 hour ago, Liam899 said:

Wow that was horrendous to watch. Fair play to Morton, they play to their strengths and it’s hard to play against. But it’s absolutely mind numbing to watch. Couldn’t watch that every week.

Scraped a point despite being very poor. On to the next one!

What strengths were they exactly?

You probably played more diagonal left to right long balls than us. If that's the best this league has to offer, we have nothing to worry about 

Quitongo running at your defense time and time again was actually very enjoyable for us.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Is this nonsense just going to get rolled out every week because we used one long throw-in quite effectively? 

As for Dundee, while the squad clearly has some quality players, it's hard to see what the strengths of the team are yet. Early days of course but it's hard to work out what the game plan is supposed to be with you: what a 'Dundee goal' should typically look like. 

Ours involves Quitongo and (sadly useless) Kabia getting in behind the backline. Quitongo caused all sorts of problems today but we need better quality to actually put the ball into the net. If we still had Reilly instead of Muirhead then I think we win that game.

You hoofed consistently throughout the game, unless I was watching another match? It was absolutely dreadful to watch.  I thought you were more effective than us though. I agree re us not having an identifiable style of play in this game. We were piss poor. 

3 minutes ago, madton said:

What strengths were they exactly?

You probably played more diagonal left to right long balls than us. If that's the best this league has to offer, we have nothing to worry about 

Quitongo running at your defense time and time again was actually very enjoyable for us.

Make the game very scrappy, work very hard, be very physical and very direct. Dundee couldn’t play against it. We looked totally devoid of anything. 

6 minutes ago, Liam899 said:

Make the game very scrappy, work very hard, be very physical and very direct. Dundee couldn’t play against it. We looked totally devoid of anything. 

That's how they played us last week, constantly fouling and breaking up the play, and a ref that gave them free reign. Anti football.

It's a dire style of play, but it's effective and with the tough pre-season Morton have had trying to bring people in, certainly don't begrudge them it.

It's our job to break them down rather than just joining in with the same sort of stuff ourselves and ensuring it's turgid.

We knew going in that Imrie likes to go direct (Bowyer even mentioned it in his pre-match interview) and we just ended up hoofing it straight back to them time after time.

A point on the road isn't a bad thing though. Killie drew with Morton in 3 of their 5 matches last season (including a cup tie that Killie eventually went through via penalties).

It's a dire style of play, but it's effective and with the tough pre-season Morton have had trying to bring people in, certainly don't begrudge them it.
It's our job to break them down rather than just joining in with the same sort of stuff ourselves and ensuring it's turgid.
We knew going in that Imrie likes to go direct (Bowyer even mentioned it in his pre-match interview) and we just ended up hoofing it straight back to them time after time.
A point on the road isn't a bad thing though. Killie drew with Morton in 3 of their 5 matches last season (including a cup tie that Killie eventually went through via penalties).

Agreed. Fair play to Morton, deserved their point for sure although I thought we were most likely to score in the last 10 minutes. We need to be better.

1 hour ago, Liam899 said:

Make the game very scrappy, work very hard, be very physical and very direct. 

You're just describing 75% of all Scottish lower league matches.

I didn't see much commitment to Corinthian sporting values and Dutch total football from the away side today. I wasn't expecting it either, because it's lower league Scottish football.

The only difference between our style and the rest of the division right now is the quality of our final ball. Thankfully Cove at least look to be worse, and Imrie is now talking about adding one or two more players.

Edited by vikingTON

I thought that was an enjoyable 0-0 although feel aggrieved that we didn't win as we had a few chances. Dundee I thought looked dangerous on the break especially through mcmullan. Both teams lacking luck or finishing touch in front of goal.

32 minutes ago, virginton said:

You're just describing 75% of all Scottish lower league matches.

The only difference between our style and the rest of the division right now is the quality of our final ball. 

Fair point. 
I disagree though with the latter. From what I’ve seen of the league so far, Thistle, Queens Park, and ourselves (this game aside) all have different styles to Morton.  All will go direct at various times when needed but that seems to be Morton’s main style from what I can see and what others have said. 

Would have taken a point before the game, so not too disappointed although Baird hit the post late on which would have given us the 3 points.

Some good performances today, from King (MoM) Baird, Gillespie and Quitongo. But to be fair all our players got pass marks today.

King has a great future ahead of him. Was so impressed with him today. 

Probably would've won that if we had two real footballers instead of Blues and Muirhead.

Kabia's not looking much better.

Alex King, however, is the real deal.

Edited by #Gary

1 hour ago, #Gary said:

Probably would've won that if we had two real footballers instead of Blues and Muirhead.

Kabia's not looking much better.

Alex King, however, is the real deal.

Harsh on blues. He does a lit of work off the ball and should have done better with one of his late runs into the box.

Muirhead needs a goal to get him going but overall I'd say he played well.

Kabia I'll give you. Not been impressed at all

1 hour ago, Mr.Blue said:

Harsh on blues. He does a lit of work off the ball and should have done better with one of his late runs into the box.

Muirhead needs a goal to get him going but overall I'd say he played well.

Kabia I'll give you. Not been impressed at all

Muirhead doesn't score anywhere near enough goals to get that leeway. While Blues wouldn't be in the top 3 of issues - and we did play quite well today - he's not actually doing much off the ball in my view. The Crawford replacement for Lyon shows what could happen if we actually got another real Championship midfielder in place of Blues.