Greenock Morten vs Dundee FC - 20/08/2022

9 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Can’t believe they get away with such a bigoted name for a stand.

It's called the Wee Dublin End because there used to be a lot of cottages just to the west of the ground which were occupied by some of the fairly large Irish community that lived in Greenock.  Nothing bigoted about it.  Much like you have "Derry", which IIRC isn't actually anything to do with sectarianism either.

The view from the WDE is actually pretty good although a roof would be nice.  In bygone days when you could move about within the ground, sometimes used to stand there if we were attacking that end.  I can't remember when they put in the original bench seating but I think it must have been in the 1980s.

13 minutes ago, Alibi said:

It's called the Wee Dublin End because there used to be a lot of cottages just to the west of the ground which were occupied by some of the fairly large Irish community that lived in Greenock.  Nothing bigoted about it.  Much like you have "Derry", which IIRC isn't actually anything to do with sectarianism either.

The view from the WDE is actually pretty good although a roof would be nice.  In bygone days when you could move about within the ground, sometimes used to stand there if we were attacking that end.  I can't remember when they put in the original bench seating but I think it must have been in the 1980s.

No bother Neil Oliver.

Thank you.

Bigoted and sizeist imo. Mods!

7 hours ago, Alibi said:

Much like you have "Derry", which IIRC isn't actually anything to do with sectarianism either.

Wrong.

In the 1920s there was an influx of Greenock based Irish immigrants that moved to Dundee and were slain upon arrival as per Dundonian bylaws. We buried them beneath the terracing and the name Derry was after the head gravedigger Derek (Souttar who would go on to play for the club.)

9 hours ago, Alibi said:

The original benches were in place for the start of 81-82 season. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

Need a big performance from the Derry Juggernaut today. I imagine Imrie will try to go for the juggular (won't be the first time he's done that to a fellow professional). Big performances needed in central midfield.

Lets face it, we've been a saft touch for a while so wouldn't expect anything else from him. He'll hopefully see a big difference this season though

Lets face it, we've been a saft touch for a while so wouldn't expect anything else from him. He'll hopefully see a big difference this season though

We’re still not nasty enough imo. Thistle kicked us out of our rhythm a couple of weeks ago.

Not been able to find this on the firestick so far. Found 6 different streams of Motherwell vs Livi though. Fs.

I paid for the official. It’s been offline since the first minute. Fucking useless cunters. Probs not paid the leckie.

40 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Is Strapp not one of your better players? Good to see him on the bench.

I remember somebody saying they played a lot better last week with Strapp off, maybe just doesn't fit into Imrie's system well.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Not been able to find this on the firestick so far. Found 6 different streams of Motherwell vs Livi though. Fs.

It's all them so far anyway, not a great start from us by any means.