2022/23 Dutch football

Marten

Time for a new thread. And a good moment for me to do so. After our dramatic promotion last season coming back from a 3-0 deficit (4-1 aggregate) after 78 minutes in the return (away) leg of our play-off final to win after penalties, Excelsior started the season with a 2-0 win at Cambuur and now a 3-1 home win against Vitesse. Top of the eredivisie for now (we'll probably drop down the table soon enough but let's enjoy it while it lasts). 8)

This is the last season of the no movement agreement between the Eerste Divisie & Tweede Divisie*.

*- excluding jong teams in the Tweede Divisie
I'm not convinced there will be actual promotion & relegation from next season. They'll probably find an excuse to put it off again...

Got my season ticket for ADO again this season (playing in the second tier because on the opposite side of Excelsior's miracle in the playoff final!). 4-0 opening game loss to Hercales but think (hope) they might be pretty decent. First home home on Sunday against Den Bosch, but having to watch in pub as no fans allowed in as punishment for fans somewhat OTT reaction to aforementioned playoff defeat.

11 hours ago, The Holiday Song said:

Got my season ticket for ADO again this season (playing in the second tier because on the opposite side of Excelsior's miracle in the playoff final!). 4-0 opening game loss to Hercales but think (hope) they might be pretty decent. First home home on Sunday against Den Bosch, but having to watch in pub as no fans allowed in as punishment for fans somewhat OTT reaction to aforementioned playoff defeat.

I guess you live in Den Haag? Whereabouts? I lived in Loosduinen for 4 years before moving to England (where I stayed 8 years before moving to Scotland 5 years ago).

On 13/08/2022 at 22:40, Marten said:

I guess you live in Den Haag? Whereabouts? I lived in Loosduinen for 4 years before moving to England (where I stayed 8 years before moving to Scotland 5 years ago).

I'm the other side, near Haags Bos. Not far from HVV Den Haag's ground if you know that. Been here four years, last year was first with ADO season ticket. Where is your Excelsior connection from?

Yesterday's game went worse than expected, 2-0 home loss to Den Bosch who had lost 3-1 the week before to FC Eindhoven (who were starting two of our castoffs from last season). Not a great start! Although Kuijt has seemed to identify what we thought was lacking yesterday too so hoping it's just a team gelling issue these first two weeks.

2 hours ago, The Holiday Song said:

I'm the other side, near Haags Bos. Not far from HVV Den Haag's ground if you know that. Been here four years, last year was first with ADO season ticket. Where is your Excelsior connection from?

Yesterday's game went worse than expected, 2-0 home loss to Den Bosch who had lost 3-1 the week before to FC Eindhoven (who were starting two of our castoffs from last season). Not a great start! Although Kuijt has seemed to identify what we thought was lacking yesterday too so hoping it's just a team gelling issue these first two weeks.

Yes, I know that area. My father's side of the family is originally from Rotterdam-Kralingen, my grandmother came to Excelsior as a girl back in the 1920's. So it just runs in the family.

Not a great start for you guys indeed, but hopefully Kuijt gets time.

• 1 month later...

Remarkable weekend, Ajax (1-1 at home against Go Ahead Eagles), PSV (3-0 defeat at Cambuur) & Feyenoord (1-1 at NEC) all dropped points. The only unbeaten team left in the division, AZ Alkmaar, won 1-4 away at Groningen and are now top of the league. They're in a top form, having beaten Ajax before the international break as well. Their only competitive game they've lost so far this season was at Tannadice...

Remarkable weekend, Ajax (1-1 at home against Go Ahead Eagles), PSV (3-0 defeat at Cambuur) & Feyenoord (1-1 at NEC) all dropped points. The only unbeaten team left in the division, AZ Alkmaar, won 1-4 away at Groningen and are now top of the league. They're in a top form, having beaten Ajax before the international break as well. Their only competitive game they've lost so far this season was at Tannadice...
United, on the other hand, have won two competitive games all season, and that was one of them...

This weekend no changes at the top, AZ, Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV all won. AZ won the often tough away game at Utrecht so they stay top.

On 05/10/2022 at 10:51, Sarto Mutiny said:
On 02/10/2022 at 16:27, Marten said:

United, on the other hand, have won two competitive games all season, and that was one of them...

At least you had another one yesterday. ;) 

AZ lost their first league game of the season, 1-2 at home to Feyenoord. PSV won 1-6 away at Utrecht and Ajax 7-1 at home to Excelsior, Ajax are now back top, PSV 1 point behind while Feyenoord & AZ are 2 behind.

For Excelsior by far our best man on the pitch was our goalkeeper (and no, I'm not joking). That says a lot about the rest when you concede 7. Losing against Ajax is expected, but no excuse for it to be like that. 🤬

Artificial turf disallowed in the Eredivisie starting 2025

Artificial turf will disappear from the premier league for good. From season 2025/2026, clubs playing at the highest level will be obliged to play on natural grass. A final decision on this will follow on 1 December.

As of the 2025/2026 season, no stadium in the premier league will have artificial grass. The transformation is an express wish of the majority of premier league clubs. With the definitive banning of the 'fake mats', the Netherlands is considered more likely to structurally rank among the top six in Europe. The premier league clubs want the latter. That way, more tickets for international competitions can be distributed in our country.

The 18 premier league clubs recently received a memo from the Eredivisie CV, raising the question of how a ban on playing on artificial grass is viewed. If 5/6 of the clubs vote to ban artificial grass, the premier league clubs will be obliged to play their matches on natural grass from season 2025/2026. That vote, which takes place on 1 December, is a formality. Almost unanimously there is a preference for football on real grass.

There has been annoyance about artificial grass in the premier league for much longer. As recently as 2017, this newspaper was at the forefront of banning the plastic surface in stadiums. A hundred leading figures - national team coaches, former players, trainers, internationals, captains - backed an urgent appeal to all clubs, the Eredivisie CV and the KNVB to ban artificial grass in the top professional league. But a ban on artificial grass never proved feasible, noting that clubs did receive an incentive from European funds if they started playing on real grass. So now that ban is imminent.

Edited by GNU_Linux

After losing 7-1 at Ajax, I wasn't expecting much of our game against AZ today. Thankfully I was wrong, an impressive performance got us all 3 points: 2-1.

Ajax will be happy as Feyenoord (1-1 at home against Fortuna Sittard) and PSV (4-2 defeat away at Groningen) also dropped points while they beat RKC 1-4 away. Because of that, they now have a 4 point lead at the top.

• 2 weeks later...

A question for @Marten

I'm over in Amsterdam on 18th - 20th Nov and plan to get the train to Leiden and then bus to Katwijk to watch Quick Boys v AFC.

I am presuming for a game at this level, pay at the gate would be the norm. However, was wondering if there is any way to buy tickets online? I had a look at Quick Boys website and the online ticket sales section seems to lead to a dead end.

Am I just being an idiot?! Any help would be much appreciated

12 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

A question for @Marten

I'm over in Amsterdam on 18th - 20th Nov and plan to get the train to Leiden and then bus to Katwijk to watch Quick Boys v AFC.

I am presuming for a game at this level, pay at the gate would be the norm. However, was wondering if there is any way to buy tickets online? I had a look at Quick Boys website and the online ticket sales section seems to lead to a dead end.

Am I just being an idiot?! Any help would be much appreciated

As far as I'm aware, Quick Boys (like most teams that level) only really sell tickets in advance for the bigger games, like derby games against Katwijk / Rijnsburgse Boys or cup games against bigger teams. You should be fine to just turn up and pay on the day. 

2 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Thank you!

Also, the town is quite a nice seaside town, including some nice bars for pre/post-match pints. So I'd recommend trying to get there early and/or staying a bit after the game. If you like seafood, you'll definitely be spoiled for choice there as there are plenty of good places to eat.

Edited by Marten

There have been quite some changes at the top. Ajax got a 4 point lead just before the previous weekend, since then they lost at home to PSV, drew at home against Vitesse on Wednesday night and drew away to Emmen on Saturday. PSV and Feyenoord were joint top with PSV having the better goal difference going into the last weekend before the World Cup, but PSV lost at home to AZ, who recovered from poor defeats against Excelsior and RKC. This means that suddenly Feyenoord head into the break on top, 3 points ahead of Ajax & PSV, 4 points ahead of AZ and 6 ahead of FC Twente. It's being very competitive at the top now.

• 1 month later...

Last weekend the league restarted after the World Cup break. The top 4 before these games all drew. NEC 1-1 Ajax, FC Utrecht 1-1 Feyenoord, PSV 0-0 Sparta & AZ 1-1 Vitesse. As a result, Twente could break into the top 5, they overtook AZ after beating Emmen 2-0.

The last 3 days was the round of 32 in the Dutch Cup with some shocks. Third tier teams De Treffers (1-0 at home against Cambuur) and Spakenburg (3-2 away at Groningen) both managed to pull off an upset by beating eredivisie clubs. With Katwijk a third team form the 3rd tier made the last 16, but that wasn't a shock as they beat Urk who play in the 4th tier (0-3). Three 2nd tier teams are still in it: ADO Den Haag, De Graafschap & NAC Breda. None of the big sides got knocked out.