What is the answer?

jamamafegan

Rangers and Celtic are both Europa League level clubs. No surprise they’re being soundly found out at the higher level.
Hearts are an ‘out of Europe in August’ level club, like Motherwell and Dundee United. No surprise to see them being pumped by proper continental level clubs either.
It’s likely the three of them will finish fourth out of four in their groups and we will have no Scottish side in Europe after Christmas.
Progress!

On 07/10/2022 at 23:15, Lex said:

Rangers and Celtic are both Europa League level clubs. No surprise they’re being soundly found out at the higher level.
Hearts are an ‘out of Europe in August’ level club, like Motherwell and Dundee United. No surprise to see them being pumped by proper continental level clubs either.
It’s likely the three of them will finish fourth out of four in their groups and we will have no Scottish side in Europe after Christmas.
Progress!

Are they still in?

AZ Alkmaar 7 Dundee United 0

Motherwell knocked out by Sligo. Knocked out by Stjarnan in 2014.

Kilmarnock knocked out by Connah’s Quay Nomads

Hibernian 0 Malmo 7

Hearts 1 Birkirkara 2 - knocked out.

St Johnstone knocked out by Minsk, Trnava, Alashkert and Trakai.

Aberdeen knocked out by Sigma Olomouc, Kairat, Apollon Limassol and Qarabag to name a few.

Inverness knocked out by Astra.

There’s a few of the many miserable results endured by Scottish clubs in European competition over the past decade or so. It’s grim reading. So many humiliating performances by Scottish teams, being knocked out by teams from - quite frankly - jobber footballing associations. Then there’s the odd results by Hibs and Dundee United who were turned over with ease.

On some occasions Scottish teams put in good performances and pull off excellent results. St Johnstone knocking out Rosenborg and Luzern. Hearts drawing with Liverpool. Dundee United beating AZ Alkmaar last week! Yet for some reason we are unable progress. It just seems like we lack bottle. Sometimes it’s fair to say the teams we are up against have significantly budgets. Aberdeen for example going out to teams like Real Sociedad, Sporting Lisbon and Burnley in recent years. I don’t think it’s a good enough excuse though, it doesn’t make sense to me how teams can put in a decent first leg performance and then just fold like a deck chair in the second. For me, it comes down to having a weak mentality. I fully expect Hearts to be beaten by Zurich in their upcoming game and it won’t surprise me if they get bodied in their Conference League group either.

How do we fix this mess?

Urgent edit required on the OP

On 07/10/2022 at 12:39, PauloPerth said:

All three in the bin by 4th November, then we can all celebrate with big fireworks displays all round the country that weekend.

Well you certainly called that right , tbf so did my dog. There are lots of things wrong with Scottish football,  we take schadenfreude to a completely different level and you are right up there.

So let's celebrate Top 6, play offs for failure,   too many senior teams for such a small country , leagues that are insanely small, inherant vested interest,  no automatic relegation,  a voting set up that would make the mafia blush, a CEO on the Board of both the League and the National Association ( redefines conflict of interest) only now introducing VAR ( about 3 years behind Kazakhstan  ) etc etc.

Boring myself now . 

The question is " What is the answer  ? "

The answer is " Not the SPFL "

2 hours ago, ekok said:

Well you certainly called that right , tbf so did my dog. There are lots of things wrong with Scottish football,  we take schadenfreude to a completely different level and you are right up there.

What is your point?

I’m saying a critically uncompetitive league is made even worse by the richest clubs being rewarded with even greater income.

Thats not schadenfreude, that’s basic common sense for a fan of any other team in the league.

The fact that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed rangers and Celtic getting pumped all over Europe in the past few weeks…. now that’s schadenfreude.

10 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

I'd contest whether Inverness v Astra is at the same level of awfulness.

Given they then beat West Ham and won their league that season too.

6 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

What is your point?

I’m saying a critically uncompetitive league is made even worse by the richest clubs being rewarded with even greater income.

The point  is the SPFL needs major restructuring.  I did list a few of the things I think need to be addressed. Totally agree more competition is needed, right across the board. Suggest best way to do that is to introduce a structure that encourages that, which can only be achieved through agreement, as we know the SPFL is a Members Association.  

That leads us to the rules, which are notoriously difficult to change eg major issues need 11 from 12 from Premiership Clubs, wonder where that ratio came from ? 

Whether fans are laughing at or embarrassed by our Clubs abject performances in Europe,  suggest major change needed. We will all have ideas on what that might look like. First things first, get agreement to actually do something,  rather than going round in ever decreasing circles talking about it.

Until we do, going to get same old same old.

There IS no answer. Fitba is fucked post-Bosman and we might as well enjoy the little victories where we get them.

For example...the very, very rare occasions when both cheeks get pumped on the same weekend and we get the 'experts' falling over themselves on Sportscene/Sportsound to explain it away, and how a strong cheeks is 'good for Thcottish Footbaw' etc...

I used to be one of those who supported every team in Europe, even the Glasgow two. This year, as in recent ones however, oh how I've chortled as they have had their erkies well and truly felt by those big bad clubs who have the affrontery to, ye know, have more money than them. Och, NOOOOOO ! But that's no' fair ?!?

The lack of awareness of our wonderful meeja in reporting this disparity in Europe but never at home is another reason why I trawl the Tiers well below the top ones for my kicks now. 

Proper mannie's fitba, an' aw that !

Europe, for the most part, has always been a wee chance to have some johnny foreigners playing your team. A bit of exoticism on your doorstep and maybe a wee trip abroad.

Nothing more, nothing less.   Who cares? Its like the World Cup.  Just enjoy it but dont expect anything from it.

The point  is the SPFL needs major restructuring.  I did list a few of the things I think need to be addressed. Totally agree more competition is needed, right across the board. Suggest best way to do that is to introduce a structure that encourages that, which can only be achieved through agreement, as we know the SPFL is a Members Association.  
That leads us to the rules, which are notoriously difficult to change eg major issues need 11 from 12 from Premiership Clubs, wonder where that ratio came from ? 
Whether fans are laughing at or embarrassed by our Clubs abject performances in Europe,  suggest major change needed. We will all have ideas on what that might look like. First things first, get agreement to actually do something,  rather than going round in ever decreasing circles talking about it.
Until we do, going to get same old same old.

IMG_4396.jpg

Saw this for the first time today. Funny how between 3rd and 12th the difference in TV revenue given to top flight SPFL clubs drops by 0.5-1% per place - but from 2nd to 3rd there is a significantly greater drop of 5.5%. I’d start there. That split should be more even. OF get enough money as it is through tickets/European football with the SPFL handing them a financial advantage as well.