What is the answer?

jamamafegan

Rangers 1 Liverpool 7

AZ Alkmaar 7 Dundee United 0

Motherwell knocked out by Sligo. Knocked out by Stjarnan in 2014.

Kilmarnock knocked out by Connah’s Quay Nomads

Hibernian 0 Malmo 7

Hearts 1 Birkirkara 2 - knocked out.

St Johnstone knocked out by Minsk, Trnava, Alashkert and Trakai.

Aberdeen knocked out by Sigma Olomouc, Kairat, Apollon Limassol and Qarabag to name a few.

Inverness knocked out by Astra.

There’s a few of the many miserable results endured by Scottish clubs in European competition over the past decade or so. It’s grim reading. So many humiliating performances by Scottish teams, being knocked out by teams from - quite frankly - jobber footballing associations. Then there’s the odd results by Hibs, Dundee United and Rangers who were turned over with ease.

On some occasions Scottish teams put in good performances and pull off excellent results. St Johnstone knocking out Rosenborg and Luzern. Hearts drawing with Liverpool. Dundee United beating AZ Alkmaar last week! Yet for some reason we are unable progress. It just seems like we lack bottle. Sometimes it’s fair to say the teams we are up against have significantly budgets. Aberdeen for example going out to teams like Real Sociedad, Sporting Lisbon and Burnley in recent years. I don’t think it’s a good enough excuse though, it doesn’t make sense to me how teams can put in a decent first leg performance and then just fold like a deck chair in the second. For me, it comes down to having a weak mentality. I fully expect Hearts to be beaten by Zurich in their upcoming game and it won’t surprise me if they get bodied in their Conference League group either.

How do we fix this mess?

Edited by jamamafegan

11 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Hibernian 0 Malmo 7

Aberdeen knocked out by Sigma Olomouc, Kairat, Apollon Limassol and Qarabag to name a few.

There’s a few of the many miserable results endured by Scottish clubs in European competition over the past decade or so. It’s grim reading. So many humiliating performances by Scottish teams, being knocked out by teams from - quite frankly - jobber footballing associations. Then there’s the odd results by Hibs and Dundee United who were turned over with ease.

On some occasions Scottish teams put in good performances and pull off excellent results. St Johnstone knocking out Rosenborg and Luzern. Hearts drawing with Liverpool. Dundee United beating AZ Alkmaar last week! Yet for some reason we are unable progress. It just seems like we lack bottle. Sometimes it’s fair to say the teams we are up against have significantly budgets. Aberdeen for example going out to teams like Real Sociedad, Sporting Lisbon and Burnley in recent years. I don’t think it’s a good enough excuse though, it doesn’t make sense to me how teams can put in a decent first leg performance and then just fold like a deck chair in the second. For me, it comes down to having a weak mentality. I fully expect Hearts to be beaten by Zurich in their upcoming game and it won’t surprise me if they get bodied in their Conference League group either.

How do we fix this mess?

Tell the Old Firm to leave, leave now and don't come back.  We then dismantle their stadiums brick by brick, aluminium sheeting by aluminium sheeting and build decent low rise social housing in their place.   Probably won't make a blind bit of difference to the kind of result we saw last night but by God Scottish football and, more importantly, Scottish society would be a far far better and more decent a sport to enjoy and a place to live.

You say Scottish teams get knocked out by teams from jobber football associations. That’s exactly what we are. Fcuking tinpot, but we think we should be regarded as better than those ‘jobbers’? There’s no fix. We are jobbies, sorry jobbers. Easy mistake.

That’s exactly what we are.

I agree with you but it hasn’t always been this way. There is something seriously wrong when we are being turfed out by teams from places like Ireland, Wales, Lithuania, Armenia, Malta and Romania. It’s unacceptable. You can’t blame inferior budgets for that. It’s a weak mentality, a lack of grit and determination. If it really is a lack of quality - how are teams from these countries managing to attract those players and we aren’t? Are Scottish clubs signing the wrong kinds of players? Is it the way we are set up? It’s deeply troubling. Aberdeen were the last team to play in a European group stage nearly 15 years ago. The only reason Hearts are ending that wait is simply because the competition structure has changed - nothing to do with footballing merit. A shocking state of affairs.

28 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

How do we fix this mess?

Get more people playing Football Manager to understand that there's more going on than just Scottish Football. That say the 4th best team here isn't magically better than the 4th best team somewhere else just because we've never heard of them.

Somehow people have failed to realise that Scotland is in amongst the "jobber footballing associations". No World Cup appearances since 1998. 20+ year gap between Euros appearances. 

Just now, jamamafegan said:

I agree with you but it hasn’t always been this way. There is something seriously wrong when we are being turfed out by teams from places like Ireland, Wales, Lithuania, Armenia, Malta and Romania. It’s unacceptable. You can’t blame inferior budgets for that. It’s a weak mentality, a lack of grit and determination. If it really is a lack of quality - how are teams from these countries managing to attract those players and we aren’t? Are Scottish clubs signing the wrong kinds of players? Is it the way we are set up? It’s deeply troubling. Aberdeen were the last team to play in a European group stage nearly 15 years ago. The only reason Hearts are ending that wait is simply because the competition structure has changed - nothing to do with footballing merit. A shocking state of affairs.

Ireland just pumped Scotland

Wales are in this years world cup 

A Romanian team has won a European trophy (European cup) more recently than a Scottish side

We may think we are better than these nations but they wont and most neutrals wouldn't either.

Look at Qarabag's European record over the last 15yrs, they would absolutely expect to beat Aberdeen and it would be seen as a surprise if they didn't.

Football levels today are about finances and specifically wages. I am not going to spend the time doing it but the gap in wages between the 'jobber' teams we have lost to will not be that big and close enough to make it competitive in a 2 leg tie.

19 minutes ago, yoda said:

I quite like sticking the boot into "The Caley" but Astra went and knocked West Ham out two seasons running so I don't think it's particularly fair to include them in that list.

They also won the Romanian title the season we played them.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

How do we fix this mess?

The first step is acceptance.

We need to realise the standard of the Scottish Premiership, outside the Top 2 of course, is absolutely desperately bad.

Until we do that there will be no progress.

I'm getting on a bit, I started going to matches in 1982 but this isn't some senile 'It was better in my day' reminiscence in the autumn of life.  Not only was it better, it was so much better it's an absolute tragedy that the game has been allowed to plummet to todays levels.

What's the answer?  Well that's a complex issue but surely better coaching and basic technique on the ball would be a start?  I watch Premiership football and players can't even hold a line most of the time.  They have no positional awareness on and off the ball.  Fundamental skills like crossing and passing are poor.  Players that make off the ball runs are almost like genius level gods in Scottish football.

I watched Match of the Day for the first time in a couple of seasons last week and the thing that really stood out for me was how hard virtually every player worked off the ball.  Forget about the technique aspect of football, our players are just fucking lazy as well.  Most of the guys in our league are plodders seeing out time like they were photocopying in an office.

So maybe the first step is to have professional pride.

11 minutes ago, MrIrvinePollock said:

Maybe stop ploughing loads of cash on poor foreign players ....and use that money to produce and employ full time youth coaches who can work on producing quality Scottish talent?

154 players have started a match in the Scottish Premiership so far this season - 57 Scots and 97 non Scots.

That's a disgrace.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Hibernian 0 Malmo 7

There’s a few of the many miserable results endured by Scottish clubs in European competition over the past decade or so. It’s grim reading. So many humiliating performances by Scottish teams, being knocked out by teams from - quite frankly - jobber footballing associations. Then there’s the odd results by Hibs and Dundee United who were turned over with ease.

How do we fix this mess?

Let's not forget Rangers and Celtic losing to Progres and Red Imps or Artmedia 5-0 

So you're right it's not all down to budgets, 

2 minutes ago, Portmahomack Saint said:

Let's not forget Rangers and Celtic losing to Progres and Red Imps or Artmedia 5-0 

So you're right it's not all down to budgets, 

Celtic absolutely thrashed Red Imps and ended up drawing twice with City in the CL group stage.