Alloa vs Edinburgh

One thing I'm really shocked about is the number of fans that Edinburgh brought. There were more directors and staff than paying fans. Cracking day to watch football and only 22 in the away end. A shame because it's a tidy team on the park.

14 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

One thing I'm really shocked about is the number of fans that Edinburgh brought. There were more directors and staff than paying fans. Cracking day to watch football and only 22 in the away end. A shame because it's a tidy team on the park.

Just wait 'til they head through to Grangemouth for the first time. OYF.

Prepare yourself to be shamed like never before, City fans.

It's madness the whole railway end is shut off to home fans, especially on a day like today, for the sake of 22 fans.

2 minutes ago, pencils said:

It's madness the whole railway end is shut off to home fans, especially on a day like today, for the sake of 22 fans.

Have the rules changed below the Championship, or is that the club's decision?

Doesn't seem like long since we were swapping ends at this level.

49 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

No surprise.

Myself and other Edinburgh CITY long standing regulars who would have been there have better things to do than support a team whose directors change the name with no consultation.

On 11/08/2022 at 20:16, Kevchenko said:

Already plugged on the Alloa thread, but for the Edinburgh guys, we had @AllyMonc on our new podcast previewing Saturday's game.

Some Alloa v Kelty stuff up first then Edinburgh preview from about half an hour onwards.

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Still working through this but really enjoying it and looking forward to hearing more. 

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

I remember one of the things the Hamilton fans warned us about Brian Rice was that he stuck with players in positions they weren't effective in. You'd really, really hope he's learned from that.

I don't think he will. He played Taggart left centre back in his first game and although Taggs did his normal steady job he clearly wasn't entirely comfortable and was also missed on the flank. Was then deployed there and LB on a few more occasions before the end of the season. You could make an excuse for that and Kev as emergency RWB when Rice had come in mid-season but we're now 7 competitive games into a new season and it's been obvious enough already that neither player is anywhere near as effective as they can be in these positions. Taggs is class on the right and Kev is needed further up the field (and more central too). Ultimately the reason for it too is that Rice retained Church and didn't sign another LB either. He needs to sort that.

Managers have their quirks and Rice has plenty of positives as a boss as well but I'd expect more players out of position (and too many positional and formation changes through games) from him. 

Very poor result today. I remember doing a feature on Alloa being upset by Edinburgh City at City Park in the 30s then losing to Spartans there decades later in the Scottish Cup, then of course losing to City a few years back over the road from City Park at Ainslie Park. Getting pumped at home by the dodgy new incarnation a new low. 

Edited by Waspie

That's just bizarre. He's not the first manager to stubbornly employ players in odd positions, but surely he must still be expecting to bring in a few better options in those positions. It doesn't make sense.

4 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Politics mate!

All a bit pathetic and sad really.

Others on here better qualified than me to answer your post!

Edited by Tenkay

Too many off days across the pitch yesterday, but got to say Edinburgh played well and were good value for their win. 

There was a couple of times they tore us to pieces on the counter and it probably could have been more than 4. 

Tough one coming up next week as well. 

If we want to challenge for the promotion play offs then we either need to recruit the right players to play the 5-3-2 formation or go to a back four to shore up the defence. 

Both Durnan and Graham are far too slow to be playing together at the back in the same team. The strongest back four available right now would be Church, Stanger, Taggs, Robbo.  Hopefully Muir is fit sometime soon so that he can replace Hogarth in goals. 

We look OK going forward but a complete shambles at the back. 

Edited by BigMartyn86

I don't mind Durnan and Graham together when we play 3 centre backs, especially with someone like Stanger as the third with a bit more pace. 

I'm imagining Muir signed up believing he'd be #1, he was in the stands on Saturday so hopefully he's not too far off match fitness.

Just hope Taggs starts at right back this week. 

On 16/08/2022 at 13:11, Rory said:

I'm imagining Muir signed up believing he'd be #1, he was in the stands on Saturday so hopefully he's not too far off match fitness.

As much as I agree with some parts of the above, especially Taggart on the right, I don't really agree with this. Muir signed as No.2 and Hogarth has been signed as No. 1 IMO.

You don't take these players on loan from the Old Firm and sit them on the bench. Firstly, it would cost an extra little fortune, and secondly, he wouldn't be here if that was the case.  We have to appreciate we have a young keeper in the net and with the manager wanting to play a certain style, unfortunately these mistakes will happen. Let's not forget his heroics only a few weeks back. He will only improve.

Muir is a good goalkeeper but he hasn't started a competitive game of football since last October, and has spent a bit of time on the bench of both Queen's Park and Airdrie in recent years. An excellent back-up and someone who will feel he can push Hogarth all the way, however, I can only see Muir being No.1 if Hogarth's loan was cut. It's been a shame the way Muir's Alloa career has started but he will play his role. 

Edited by KierenAAFC