Clyde vs Kelty Hearts

Just now, leomessi1984 said:

New signings better be in the 11 next week surely. Shocking start from Potter with big games to come.

Leo I just don’t get us filing up with midfielders when it’s obvious we need someone up top , Doherty a waste of a shirt imo , get us playing a 5 in midfield and try to stop the rot Agyeman up top , Cardle on for last 20  instead of starting as he’s almost done at this level , rant over just pissed off 😤 

Well done Clyde 

7 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Leo I just don’t get us filing up with midfielders when it’s obvious we need someone up top , Doherty a waste of a shirt imo , get us playing a 5 in midfield and try to stop the rot Agyeman up top , Cardle on for last 20  instead of starting as he’s almost done at this level , rant over just pissed off 😤 

Well done Clyde 

I do think Mcgill was needed to give us bite & legs. Lyons a good player also so gives depth. Agreed on Doherty though, don't see enough quality there. Agyeman should have had about 5 goals over the first three games, some poor finishing. Fash back today hopefully changes that.

Edited by leomessi1984

3 minutes ago, leomessi1984 said:

I do think Mcgill was needed to give us bite & legs. Lyons a good player also so gives depth. Agreed on Doherty though, don't see enough quality there. Agyeman should have had about 5 goals over the first three games, some poor finishing. Fash back today hopefully changes that.

I know chances are coming but we are getting picked off far too easy as well , they basically scored 2 goals when we had a free kick and a corner, somethings just not right 

Well that was comfortable.
We didn't start well tbh but grew into the game with the Kelty forward giving scottish football a contender for miss of the season!

Second half we started well and it felt like we were never going to break through. Lovely ball over from Sula and matched with a lovely chip. Followed that goal up with a fantastic break and great run from Scullion to get to the box and what a lovely wee nick on from Gomis to Cameron rifling the top corner.
3rd Goal came from a classic counter and good finish again by Cunningham again! 5 this season already!

Kelty looked rubbish, all that money and look a team of a few individuals and nothing up front.

PS. GIRFUY Cardle, wee thistle b*****d! [emoji1267][emoji1267]

Huge credit to Parry for what I would say was a game-saving stop from Agyeman, given the course of proceedings up to then. Did well to force the boy wide, too, who squared to the aforementioned for his howler. Really impressed with a lot of those performances today, with the back three showing up well (and what a ball from big Sula for the first!) and Gomis and Grant industrious as ever. I thought Roberts put in a fantastic shift and Cunningham made amends for his profligacy last week with two good finishes. Night and day watching these energetic boys versus last season's plodders, and what a difference it makes having big, strong, vocal centre backs. Just hope they're minor concerns for Kennedy and Cuddihy, the only two scratches on proceedings.

Really enjoyable game today, nice to get a wee shandy before the game, first visit to Fanzone and pleased to see it so busy.

McLean, Grant and Sula were tremendous today as was Ray Grant. Front 2 worked so hard especially in that heat. Well done to everyone today, no failures. Keep it going and great to have another good Saturday night. 

Gomis a different player this year. Looks much fitter and playing brilliantly with some similar minded players around him. He wae outstanding today and my MOTM. 

Ray Grant was excellent as well, sprayed the ball about brilliantly! 

Got a cracking wee team here, fairly balanced across the pitch and playing some fine football. 

Lastly, Shout of the game... "Fucking hell Lennon, make a sub before it's too late!!!" 🙈🤣🤣

As much as I’ve enjoyed a game for a while, great performance and it’s good to have a right feel good atmosphere around the place. 

Parry making a great save along with Agyemans miss was as much as Kelty offered until it was too late.

Cunningham really playing with confidence and taking chances when they come, Ray Grant was excellent and broke up a lot of their play. 

The back 3 were also really good, won everything in the air. Sula had a shaky first 10 but was good after he settled, plus a lovely through ball for the first! 

Overall an excellent start to the season. Did get a laugh at the shout of telling Lennon to change it before it’s too late only for us to score shortly after 😂

There was also a shout towards Scullion wearing white socks and thinking he’s a ticket which was absolutely bizarre.

Cracking result and overall a really good performance but on another day, we could have been 2-0 down at HT and I felt we made it a little too easy for them at times. 2nd half we were a lot sharper and all three goals were taken really well. Cunningham's finish for the first was bloody brilliant. 

I still think there's more to come from the team but I'm confident we'll continue in this vein and build upon it. Allan (had reservations initially but looks to be a real player) to return next week and the big man Thicot (will he even get a game?) hopefully coming into the squad soon can only strengthen what is already a really good team. Managed to squeeze a wee pint in before kick off which just makes the match day experience all the more enjoyable.

Hope and expect to see a large and noisy Clyde crowd at Montrose next Saturday as this is the first Clyde team for years which genuinely deserves our backing. The Clyde are back!

You'd be hard pushed to complain about that today.

After being a bit disappointed to read in the match preview that Duthie was still missing today, partly because I've only seen him in a brief cameo against Morton, I did have a few concerns about a lack of depth in the team. Jordan Allan's sending off last week had me a bit worried about our firepower too. We lined up as a 3-5-2 and playing the three centre-halves today definitely benefited us against the likes of Agyeman and Austin, once he was introduced.

Kelty got off to a better start and had a great chance which saw Agyeman break through one-on-one but Parry pulled off another fantastic save from that kind of situation. He's really a fantastic goalkeeper when faced with a one-on-one. Parry had to be sharp shortly after to push away an effort from Cardle (I think) after he had cut in from Kelty's left hand side. In amongst that, Agyeman produced one of the misses of the season after Docherty had rounded Parry (who managed to push him wide and allow us to get a few back on the line to cover) and squared to Agyeman, only for him to blaze the ball over the top. Pretty inexcusable from him not to even hit the target. McNabb narowly missed a cross at the back post and Ross Lyon produced a horrendous pass that almost sent Kelty through again but thankfully, we survived. Most of Kelty's chances had come from a ball over the top of our three centre-halves and but generally speaking, which was/is a bit of a concern, but we defended relatively well throughout the half. Kennedy picked up another little knock and was replaced by Cuddihy, who played well on the left hand side, before picking up a knock himself. Hopefully, Kennedy and Cuddihy can shake these knocks ahead of next week and get a good run in the team without any injuries. It leaves us a bit thin on the ground if they're out and Kennedy in particular has caught my eye this season.

In amongst all of that, we had started to grow into the game and settled into some decent possession football in spells. Ray Grant in particular was dictating the play. Some diagonals out towards Kennedy and Lyon on each flank had put us into some promising positions and we played a couple of nice balls into the box that a more imposing centre-forward may have taken advantage of. Ross Lyon had our best chance of the half when he burst through one-on-one but a slightly heavy touch allowed Jamieson to make a good save from his effort. Lyon and Cunningham had a couple of long range efforts that were routine saves for Kelty's keeper.

After half-time, it was a pretty boring first five minutes and I can only remember Tidser having a long range drive for Kelty that Parry was equal too (though I can't recall whether this was before or after the opening goal). One man in the stand seemed deeply disatisfied about what he was watching and was screaming at Danny Lennon to make some changes. Just after this, big, bad, Erik Sula pulled a ball down before chipping a delightful ball over the Kelty defence, Cunningham managed to get onto the end of it and lobbed the ball over Jamieson, into the net. I thought at the time Jamieson should have been out quicker to claim the ball but I'm not complaining. Cunnginham's finish was brilliant too.

From that point on, we started to tire, with the likes of Cunningham, Roberts and McDonald dropping off quite a bit. We started to defend fairly deep but I never felt we were in any particular danger. Our centre-halves winning every single header that came their way. I expected a barrage from Kelty once Austin was introduced but truthfully it never arrived. Peter Grant made a great block at the back post before Kelty's Lyon went close with a header from the resulting corner. We had a counter-attack of our own through which Jamieson produced a great save to deny Gomis what would have been a well-deserved goal. In that time, we'd introduced Hendji, Cameron and Scullion and the latter two were involved in a lovely counter for the second goal. Cameron (who had a genuinely HORRIFIC start to his appearance) conceded a daft free kick out wide. However, we dealt with the danger well and Scullion broke very well down our right hand side, knocking the ball past Philp before squaring the ball to Gomis inside the box. He flicked it onto Cameron who finished really well into the top corner. A nice goal, a nice finish and thankfully, Cameron was quite a bit better after that! Our third goal came from another counter-attack after clearing a Kelty corner. One of Gomis or Cameron threaded in Cunningham who despite being absolutely dead on his feet, sprinted from half way before slotting under Jamieson for a well-deserved second goal. He's on a great run of form and I hope I'll never see him out wide again, because he's a very good player when playing centrally. Gomis then came off for a wee rest after running the midfield in the second half. Somewhere in amongst all that, Parry was again equal to a Kelty effort from out wide that he managed to push away.

Overall, another thoroughly enjoyable afternoon. As others have mentioned since the Queen of the South match, it really is so much more enjoyable turning up to watch a team that are trying to play nice football. Further helped by the fact that we're currently picking up points, of course. I'm very cautious not to get carried away (I have terrible visions of us doing a Dumbarton from last season) but there is definitely talent in that squad and I'm enjoying watching them. It's refreshing, as good as he was, to not just be "Goodwillie and ten other c****s" to quote @Francesc Fabregas. The centre-halves are all dominant in the air and McLean and Grant just do not stop talking. Apparently, Thicot is a good leader too so I look forward to seeing him in 2023. I'm yet to be convinced that, whilst playing with Clyde, Ray Grant couldn't play for Scotland, similarly Gomis seemed to be doing his best for a late call up to the World Cup with Senegal and Lyon, one crazy pass aside, was much better than last week. Neil Parry is definitely showing his worth too. We haven't been majorly under the cosh during any game so far but he's making big saves at big moments and that's crucial to us picking up points. McDonald was pretty quiet today but he definitely has a bit of something about him and I'd certinaly prefer him over the likes of Jones up front. Ideally, I'd like to see another, more physical option going fowards as all of our fowards are on the shorter side. Kennedy and Cuddihy both seemed to be moving okay at full time so hopefully they won't be missing for long, if at all. Kelty Hearts looked like a team of good individuals and I understand that Higginbotham is a big player for them, who was also missing. Not an awful lot of cohesion about their play though and I expected much more from them. The manner in which they conceded their goals will be of concern too, I'd think. I know Dunfermline fans are not fond of John Potter as a manager and I think I can see why if that's at all similar to what they watched.

Finally, another great day off the pitch too. The fanzone was again absolutely rammed with a good number of away fans in too. I was chatting to a group of Kelty fans before the game who were all very pleasant. Hopefully, they enjoyed their day despite the result. Hopefully it continues into the winter too, when the temptation to escape the winter months by sitting in the fanzone watching the early kick-off game with a drink is even more appealing. I'm expecting the usual tough trip up to Montrose next week but with any one of Allan, Duthie or Thicot (?) to come into the squad I'm going into that one feeling more confident than usual. Well done all!

TLDR; we're amazing and I'm going to enjoy every moment of it, while it lasts.

Edited by Scott-Replay