BFTD

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

One thing that's amazing to look back on is how pro-European the Conservative party used to be.  One of the big controversies in the run up to the 1997 election was candidates declaring they didn't support Britain joining the Euro.  Major did a plaintive speech in one of his meetings, asking Tories "don't bind my hands" in future negotitations, because joining the euro was something that might have to be considered.  People who wanted to leave the EU were considered nutcases - the 10 MPs who were suspended were all swivel-eyed loons, as the phrase goes.

EU membership was seen as being good for business. Whether it was good for anyone else was irrelevant; that was enough for most Conservatives to consider it A Good Thing. Most of their MPs would probably still rather we were in the EU, or don't care either way, but they've seen the tide come crashing in and the undercurrents are vicious.

Remember the days when banana straightening machines and Euro stereotypes were funny? It took a lot of downright lies over decades to get people to believe that the UK was in subjugation to laws that the public didn't want, and swamped with foreigners who were in some way bad for the country. The people behind the swivel-eyed loons certainly played a long game.

1 Harold Wilson (not a Tory) 

2 Jim Callaghan (") 

3 Tony Blair - w**k but (") 

4 John Major - Tory, but a breath of fresh air after Th*****r

5 Whoever the next non-Tory PM is

Gordon Brown is a sleazy, unionist, Linolicking c**t

• 2 months later...

1. Harold Wilson by about a hundred million miles: genuinely intelligent, funny and caring man who could identify with ordinary folk and who beat the Tories four times (for which he was absolutely hated and hounded by the media, the rich, the establishment, MI5 loonies, etc). Only Prime Minister in British history who went a year in office without British troops killing anyone or being killed. Kept us out of Vietnam war. Intervened in Northern Ireland for all the right reasons, expanded and funded proper unis with grants that allowed working class kids to go; got rid of death penalty, raised spending on NHS and pensions, decriminalised homosexuality, legislated against racism, got rid of censorship.

Pity the rest of the leadership of the Labour Party was made up of backstabbing shits. If the North Sea oil money had sufficiently flowed when he was PM, we might actually live in a genuinely better world.

2. Callaghan. Decent human being from a real background who had lived a genuine life but circumstances were absolutely beyond him.

3. Brown. More or less see above.

4. Blair. Horrible to say a war criminal is still a better PM than the rest, but he was. Last one who actually tried to improve life in the UK.

5. Major. Not totally evil/corrupt/stupid.

Macmillan to Truss, what a bunch of weirdos and charlatans! Worst was probably Cameron, an overly ambitious spineless man who promised everyone everything so he could get the flat in Number 10, then thought he had to deliver the EU referendum to keep the Tory nutter wing onside and ran the limpest campaign ever to keep us in the EU, basically a half hearted version of project fear that successfully doomed Scotland to remaining ruled by these contemptable lickspittles.

Edited by welshbairn

• 2 months later...

Wilson was on the way out , Heath was elected 4 days after I was born.

So Wilson to Heath to Wilson to Callaghan;

Then an unedifying slide down shitcreek as each seemed worse than the last till we got to the point of Johnson being one of the most corrupt and despicably dishonest ignorant wastes of spaces that has done so much damage you could write about it forever, and he was still better and longer lasting than the next muppet.

Politics and the shambles of the current leadership and cabinet, and much of the opposition front bench is a sorry state of affairs that it will take years to recover,  bugger this I'm away for a drink.

Edited by MEADOWXI

2 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Wilson was on the way out , Heath was elected 4 days after I was born.

So Wilson to Heath to Wilson to Callaghan;

Then an unedifying slide down shitcreek as each seemed worse than the last till we got to the point of Johnson being one of the most corrupt and despicably dishonest ignorant wastes of spaces that has done so much damage you could write about it forever, and he was still better and longer lust than the next muppet.

Politics and the shambles of the current leadership and cabinet, and much of the opposition front bench is a sorry state of affairs that it will take years to recover,  bugger this I'm away for a drink.

I’d actually quite like Jim Hacker as PM right now…at least things would get done with the Civil Service running the show.

I had five more years of Wilson than you, but left during Maggie…the depressing thing is how badly the collapse in competent leadership seen in the UK is mirrored in the US. I guess it begs the question of if the current style of “democracy” is viable with a fragmented and easily misled body of voters.

1. Jim Callaghan

2. Tony Blair.

3. Gordon Brown

4. John Major

5. Theresa May

Callaghan 1 for being the first Labour PM in my lifetime, Blair for the first term govt..not so much after that..Brown for bailing out the banks, Major for making the Tories unelectable in 97, and the Maybot for at least coming up with what ironically turned out to to be the 'best' Brexit deal.

The other PMs have all been horrific in the last 50 years