Rangers v St Johnstone 13/8/22

3 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Must of been the 4th then. Whichever one he dropped back to pick up, swivel and score.

Always support Scottish teams in Europe. Doesn't make laughing at Utd any less fun mind you. 

Colak's goal.  Pretty sure VAR would've given it.

47 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

That's the one. Clearly offside, but as you say, VAR would still give it in Scotland... 😉

Taking nothing away though, we deserved the beating. 

The balls got to be played forward for it to be offside, so that looks onside. 

Edited by Drew Brees

8 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Not often I agree with Daft Wee Drew but it clearly isn't.

Fair point, looked to me like it went forward, but possibly its him dropping to get it. Doesn't really matter, as I said, well deserved win. Rangers will smash teams most weeks this season. They have recruited very very well this summer. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

The balls got to be played forward for it to be offside, so that looks onside. 

No it doesn't. The direction of the ball is irrelevant. It's a really tight decision though, hard to tell if the player being tackled is playing him on.

That second goal is an example of why VAR doesn't solve all your issues. It's very difficult to say conclusively if the ball goes forward there (I think its close enough to square to say no) but I don't think its overturned either way.

Agree about saints tv today, seemed incredibly downbeat. I'm happy enough that for 60 minutes we approached in the right manner and at least looked to play when the opportunity arose. There still issues - neither striker providing an outball or a threat, both full backs being suspect defensively, Considines lack of mobility - but it was better. At least the ideas and mentality were right even if the quality always wasn't.

Concerns around that last half hour. Squad depth is shocking and made baffling subs again. Feel that Crawford is just coming on to try and justify his signing at this point. Brown for Montgomery had to be made, but why is MoH coming on at wb. Either change the shape or stick him as one of the three. And the reaction to going 2-0 was really poor;threw the towel in.

Largely agree with most of points from @nelsjfc above. For an hour it was alright. We looked pretty organised, defended our box well, didn't let them get in behind us and were quick to close down on the edge of the area. 

One occasion where they dozed off and were punished and then another error from Drey Wright for the second. 

Huge squad though and no depth, again the changes left me wondering what we were actually trying to do? Just what is a front three of Crawford, May and Carey going to do? Was just demoralising when the opportunity was there to give Kucheriavyi and Ballantyne a taste of it.

Mitchell good again, will be playing for Millwall again after the winter window shuts I reckon. Murphy has had a decent start to his Saints career and Phillips looks comfortable on the ball, but then I thought Jacob Butterfield looked alright on his Ibrox debut... 

Given the size of the squad, there is a decent group in there but Callum Davidson isn't the man to lead them. 

24 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

No it doesn't. The direction of the ball is irrelevant. It's a really tight decision though, hard to tell if the player being tackled is playing him on.

If the ball is moving, backwards,away from the goal & the person playing the ball is ahead of the person receiving then yes the direction of the ball is relevant.

16 minutes ago, Radford said:

Huge squad though and no depth, again the changes left me wondering what we were actually trying to do? Just what is a front three of Crawford, May and Carey going to do? Was just demoralising when the opportunity was there to give Kucheriavyi and Ballantyne a taste of it.

Mitchell good again, will be playing for Millwall again after the winter window shuts I reckon. Murphy has had a decent start to his Saints career and Phillips looks comfortable on the ball, but then I thought Jacob Butterfield looked alright on his Ibrox debut... 

Given the size of the squad, there is a decent group in there but Callum Davidson isn't the man to lead them. 

We will do very well to keep Mitchell for the season.

Agree wholeheartedly about the young lads. Give them a game when we’re 3/4 down at Ibrox. Crawford is a waste of time at the best of times.

Philips looked promising too. Strong, wanted the ball and generally managed to get turned and move it on. I’d like to see him start next week, but I wonder how we accommodate him, MacPherson and Hallberg at the same time? 3-5-2 with a front pair of who exactly? 

A striker this week is critical.

If the ball is moving, backwards,away from the goal & the person playing the ball is ahead of the person receiving then yes the direction of the ball is relevant.

If a player is offside he is offside whether the ball goes backwards, forwards, straight up in the air or through an underground tunnel dug by a rabbit prematch.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If a player is offside he is offside whether the ball goes backwards, forwards, straight up in the air or through an underground tunnel dug by a rabbit prematch.

Oh FFS.  The The Rangers threads are full enough of consiracy theories without us going down yet another rabbit hole...