The End of the Classified Results

I don’t know if this has been mentioned elsewhere but 5 Live are binning the classified results round up.

Those of us old enough to remember the pre smartphone days will mourn what used to be a must listen every weekend to check the other results of the day.

As someone who also worked overseas for a while I used to figure out the time difference to the UK and get my short wave radio tuned to the World Service to check the results. The signal always seemed to fade out just as it came to The Dons score. 

AD7AF59B-A989-4F69-8FA8-C1EAAFBA0712.jpeg

I suppose it does seem a bit quaint and unnecessary in the days of smartphone ubiquity, but it's always sad when these kinds of communal routines come to an end. It's obviously better to be able to check the results at your own convenience, but there's something comforting about doing so while knowing that thousands, maybe millions of other people are doing the same thing.

I really need to start playing the Pools. When I was wee, I used to love checking my gran's coupon at 4:45pm on a Saturday.

Henry Winter was practically in tears on 5 live earlier and seemed to just endlessly repeat “bit the visually impaired use the radio”.

Plus he kept getting James Alexander Gordon’s name wrong.

Edited by Melanius Mullarkay

10 hours ago, BFTD said:

but there's something comforting about doing so while knowing that thousands, maybe millions of other people are doing the same thing.

I might have been checking scores all afternoon on my phone but I do like to listen/watch the 'classified' results being read out. i always pick up a couple of interesting results I might otherwise not have seen.

12 hours ago, BFTD said:

I suppose it does seem a bit quaint and unnecessary in the days of smartphone ubiquity, but it's always sad when these kinds of communal routines come to an end. It's obviously better to be able to check the results at your own convenience, but there's something comforting about doing so while knowing that thousands, maybe millions of other people are doing the same thing.

I really need to start playing the Pools. When I was wee, I used to love checking my gran's coupon at 4:45pm on a Saturday.

You'd be checking it for 4 days now.

Just now, AsimButtHitsASix said:

This is one of these things where I instantly go "Aww that's a shame. This saddens me." then I realise I haven't listened to the classified results in years anyway.

When I wasn't at a match I used to listen to BBC Radio Scotland (or whatever it was called back in the 60s) on a Saturday afternoon. They broadcast a match (maybe it was only the second half?) and then you got the results.

Of course, those were the days at a game when someone had a tranny

R.ed719c67ef539ab8aeb4ccfaf83a14af?rik=IKew5ZJpX1X12g&riu=http%3a%2f%2f2.bp.blogspot.com%2f-wImaaRVQxNs%2fVsnESsLMXDI%2fAAAAAAAAHWk%2fiPeLF4lN-nA%2fs1600%2f6e628683c91aac10ba6ff24505870615.jpg&ehk=CzTCjObnOkEv%2fH%2fVYFCthdqTSKXragTJFvMwWr%2f8rrE%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

with them at a match to keep you updated with scores.

At full time you often had the sight of the transistor owner haring down the road, pursued by a few folk anxious to hear the final scores.

Yes you can get your results on a smartphone but a) not everyone actually has one, despite what some people think and b) if you are in your car driving back from a game you won't be using your smartphone anyway. The BBC used the excuse that they wanted to devote more time to the 5.30 kick off. The classified results usually take between 3 and 5 minutes to read, depending on how many Sunday etc. games there are. It's a nonsense excuse. 

I heard it on the R4 news last night, and they said the whole thing took about 5 minutes, but the programme being shorter due to the 530 EPL game meant they had to cut something. Even the lady reading the story seemed a bit unconvinced

Story starts at 26.00

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0019yyf

It'll be because the audience will mainly be auld, white, racist, Brexit voting male b*****ds that are set in their ways so it had to go doesn't reflect the values of the forward looking BBC so change was necessary to meet future growth in a streamlined corporation at a time the licence fee is under threat.

Same as others, but I've probably not really paid attention to them in years. With games now spread all over the week it's much less essential than when almost everything was played at 3pm on a Saturday.

9 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Of course, those were the days at a game when someone had a tranny with them at a match to keep you updated with scores.

I remember the guy with the radio telling us that Stirling Albion were 17-0 up. We didn't believe him.

12 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

When I wasn't at a match I used to listen to BBC Radio Scotland (or whatever it was called back in the 60s) on a Saturday afternoon. They broadcast a match (maybe it was only the second half?) and then you got the results.

Of course, those were the days at a game when someone had a tranny

R.ed719c67ef539ab8aeb4ccfaf83a14af?rik=IKew5ZJpX1X12g&riu=http%3a%2f%2f2.bp.blogspot.com%2f-wImaaRVQxNs%2fVsnESsLMXDI%2fAAAAAAAAHWk%2fiPeLF4lN-nA%2fs1600%2f6e628683c91aac10ba6ff24505870615.jpg&ehk=CzTCjObnOkEv%2fH%2fVYFCthdqTSKXragTJFvMwWr%2f8rrE%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

with them at a match to keep you updated with scores.

At full time you often had the sight of the transistor owner haring down the road, pursued by a few folk anxious to hear the final scores.

From 1969 till around 1973, on our way back to the station after the match, we would get the scores in the window of a TV shop half way down the Gallowgate.

8 hours ago, kingjoey said:

From 1969 till around 1973, on our way back to the station after the match, we would get the scores in the window of a TV shop half way down the Gallowgate.

That was another good source if there was a TV shop enroute between the ground and home/the pub. I sometimes used to catch them in the TV shop in Kingsgate Street, Coleraine. Failing that, you had to wait for the Green Final or whatever your local Saturday Sports paper was called, Ireland's Saturday Night in my case from 1973 until the 200s*, when it died like most of the rest of them.

*2000s :lol:

Edited by Jacksgranda