Kiltie

Ayunga - Main

---------------------------------

Hiwula

Owura -- Dhanda -- Sims

Callachan - Tillson

Purrington - Iacovitti - Baldwin - Johnson

Laidlaw

20/22. I wish I followed my gut and put a bet on Tait scoring, he doesn’t score many but he likes an opener vs Ross County.

Yan Dhanda has had 39 mins on the pitch in three league fixtures so far, all of which have been when chasing a losing situation. He instantly made County a better team when he came on yesterday. 

It’s no wonder we never saw the best of Sims and Edwards if they aren’t getting passes to release them 1v1 with a defender. Sideways passes out of the park by Callachan and overhit through balls going out for a GK by Samuel don’t count. It would be like Real Madrid keeping Luka Modric on the bench - play your best midfielders!

2 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

It makes you laugh doesn’t it. On one hand, you’ll have OF fans slating attendances of teams like County, Caley, St J etc. However, on route to Paisley yesterday, I passed about 6 Rangers busses coming from North of Perth. Do they not see the irony?

They definitely don’t see the irony. I stay about a 15 minute drive from Glasgow and there’s supporters buses that leave from my town to go to OF home games. You would think when you need to get a supporters bus to a HOME game, there might be ulterior motives as to why you support that particular team. 

52 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

20/22. I wish I followed my gut and put a bet on Tait scoring, he doesn’t score many but he likes an opener vs Ross County.

Yan Dhanda has had 39 mins on the pitch in three league fixtures so far, all of which have been when chasing a losing situation. He instantly made County a better team when he came on yesterday. 

It’s no wonder we never saw the best of Sims and Edwards if they aren’t getting passes to release them 1v1 with a defender. Sideways passes out of the park by Callachan and overhit through balls going out for a GK by Samuel don’t count. It would be like Real Madrid keeping Luka Modric on the bench - play your best midfielders!

He did look useful, but was undoubtedly aided by both our wing backs breathing out of their arses after about 60 minutes. Ideally we'd have replaced Strain, as he's still short of match fitness, but we're really short on defensive cover! Hopefully, a couple of loan deals will sort that.

You've got a few fast, direct players who I can see doing some damage throughout the season.

Your defence and midfield had a fair amount of possession and passed the ball about a lot. However with no real end product. 

3 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

They definitely don’t see the irony. I stay about a 15 minute drive from Glasgow and there’s supporters buses that leave from my town to go to OF home games. You would think when you need to get a supporters bus to a HOME game, there might be ulterior motives as to why you support that particular team. 

There was a guy pushing a pram about in the carpark behind the west stand mins before the kick off, wearing a blue bigot top on.

Ask a steward to throw him out but he said he would like to but wasn't allowed   :shutup

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

Yan Dhanda has had 39 mins on the pitch in three league fixtures so far, all of which have been when chasing a losing situation. He instantly made County a better team when he came on yesterday

Really, really impressed by the lad. He's got a beauty of a long pass on him. He knocked about 3/4 50-yard passes right onto their mark yesterday in the short time he had.

14 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I’m totally calm, the better team won on the day and we’ll be fine come May in terms of relegation places. However, the above posts regarding us as hammerthrowers I think is probably unfair as I thought both teams were just as physical as each other today. If anything, I actually thought County were very much outfought.

You turned up with 146 foot soldiers and you got beat.

you were well beaten.

good night. 

18 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

143 is a good effort given the heat, distance and more importantly the fact it will probably cost upwards of £100 for the day when factoring in tickets, food/drink and petrol and costs similar every second week.

Fair play to those who showed up and equally understandable for those who didn't or couldn't.

I usually go along to St Mirrin games as it's almost a home game, albeit not as close as when I lived on Greenock Road. But while Mackay on place I won't support the club.

And @Sergeant Wilson may know I had other things on this week. 

For a "Relegation battle," there was actually quite a lot of football played. Ross County were a bit "canny" but can play a bit the 7, 17 and 10 all looked like good players. 

Saints well worth the win. Good performance all over the park with Baccus, Ethan, Ayunga being the stand outs. Ross county can look at the save and hitting the post and but so could saints. Perhaps that sums up why both teams cant feel comfortable in the coming season. Creating chances is all very well if you put them away, if not... 

On the plus side for us, I got the feeling that Ayunga is still finding his feet here (probably the same for the RC trio) and that Brophy looked sharp when he came on. 

Some of the WhoScored stats are striking, especially this visualisation of where aerial duels were won. County never won an aeriel duel in the final third!

It certainly ties into the first-half pattern of Main and Ayunga pressing the County defenders to go long, Samuel and Hiwula being dominated and allowing St Mirren to mount attacks. Jordan White never won a header in the second half either.

I think that strengthens my argument that Dhanda should be playing off Hiwula - Dhanda is arguably the least 'physical' player in the league, but it's not like the big lads are doing their bit.

image.png.a11055051cfea18cfb2bcaa4319872b9.png

Edited by bunglebonce

6 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Some of the WhoScored stats are striking, especially this visualisation of where aerial duels were won. County never won an aeriel duel in the final third!

It certainly ties into the first-half pattern of Main and Ayunga pressing the County defenders to go long, Samuel and Hiwula being dominated and allowing St Mirren to mount attacks. Jordan White never won a header in the second half either.

I think that strengthens my argument that Dhanda should be playing off Hiwula - Dhanda is arguably the least 'physical' player in the league, but it's not like the big lads are doing their bit.

image.png.a11055051cfea18cfb2bcaa4319872b9.png

This fits with my general opinion that County are "soft" in games. I here opposition fans say how our players put in hard tackles, foul a lot and generally are hammer throwers. Imo County look soft but it's this airial challenge success rate that is irking me and is certainly something we need to work on.

I liked Callachan and Spittal in the 10 role last season, neither are tall but they're smart & combative enough to win they're fair share of high balls. Samuel is pretty gutless and isn't near aggressive enough. I suspect we'll see a bit more of Dhanda in the next few games.

1 hour ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

This fits with my general opinion that County are "soft" in games. I here opposition fans say how our players put in hard tackles, foul a lot and generally are hammer throwers. Imo County look soft but it's this airial challenge success rate that is irking me and is certainly something we need to work on.

I liked Callachan and Spittal in the 10 role last season, neither are tall but they're smart & combative enough to win they're fair share of high balls. Samuel is pretty gutless and isn't near aggressive enough. I suspect we'll see a bit more of Dhanda in the next few games.

There's a difference from being cynical and physical though, surely?

Narky enough to put the boot in, give away fouls disrupt play ect but can't compete in the air. 

We weren't kicked off the pitch pr anything like that, although one of our players was thrown into the advertising boards 😂. Wasn't like we were playing against the crazy gang from the 90s but County set out to disrupt the game, not let us get into a flow. Which is fair enough if the ref let's it go. 

On 14/08/2022 at 10:43, Arch Stanton said:

@btb, about 40 seconds for the "fucksake Carson" moment.

I feel sorry for the County attacker a minute into that wee video.

The ball, coming to him like it did, fairly seemed to surprise him.

On 14/08/2022 at 12:18, tam the bud said:

There was a guy pushing a pram about in the carpark behind the west stand mins before the kick off, wearing a blue bigot top on.

Ask a steward to throw him out but he said he would like to but wasn't allowed   :shutup

If its the same guy i saw, i think he'd taken his kids to the pre match entertainment.

Typical old firm fan. Real sense of entitlement and trying to get freebies off the "wee" clubs.

13 hours ago, Hendo said:

If its the same guy i saw, i think he'd taken his kids to the pre match entertainment.

Typical old firm fan. Real sense of entitlement and trying to get freebies off the "wee" clubs.

The guy is clearly a complete cnut. If the club are putting on kid’s entertainment in an open car park, then everyone is welcome, locals who don’t even support St Mirren, come along. Bring the kids, no worries. The fact though, that this walloper stood in his house, and deliberately chose to wear a 2012 Franchise top, just shows the kind of arsehole he is. Throw on a T Shirt mate, take your kids along, enjoy the sunshine…. no need to be an utter, utter fanny.

Edited by pozbaird

On 16/08/2022 at 10:16, pozbaird said:

The guy is clearly a complete cnut. If the club are putting on kid’s entertainment in an open car park, then everyone is welcome, locals who don’t even support St Mirren, come along. Bring the kids, no worries. The fact though, that this walloper stood in his house, and deliberately chose to wear a 2012 Franchise top, just shows the kind of arsehole he is. Throw on a T Shirt mate, take your kids along, enjoy the sunshine…. no need to be an utter, utter fanny.

Bit late to the party with this post, but I don’t think we should disregard the fact that this may be the only t-shirt that this guy owns. It was correct that the St Mirren staff in charge of the pre match entertainment allowed this guy and his kids to attend even though they were wearing Rangers kits. The area surrounding the stadium has some of the highest poverty levels in Scotland, and only a few years ago was ranked as one of the most poverty stricken areas in Europe. It has improved slightly since then, but I don’t think it would be right for St Mirren to deny children access to free entertainment just because their father is a Rangers supporter.