Early season basement battle - St. Mirren vs Ross County

2 hours ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

I thought Tait was finished? Still a better option than Tanser even out of position.

I'm one of the guilty party here. Concerned if he plays every week but Tanser has been injury prone since he signed. He's a hard working honest pro.

Looked like Tait was up against it today with the player he was head to head with,  blowing out his arse after 30 mins but he stuck to his task. Stunning goal. 

I'd say we created more chances against Motherwell but we again restricted County to minimal chances. Carson made a smart save low down. Not getting the hype about them or Malky on that showing today. We looked pretty comfortable.

Ayunga is an absolute pest,  he is causing havoc. He can't finish though. If he could finish he wouldn't be playing for us.

Dunne was excellent, he covered Joe's arse a few times in the first half. His pace got us out of a few tricky positions in the first half in particular. 

Good solid win and a clean sheet. We can't complain this week, or can we? 🙈

39 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Thought we dominated that game. Very good performances from Strain, Baccus, Kiltie and Ayunga. Kiltie worked his socks off and maybe went under the radar but he was instrumential in dominating the midfield. Pleased for Robinson.

You can see from this and the Motherwell game, we are trying to play some football here.

Baccus, Erahon and Kiltie should revel in this. Big Ayunga running in behind/running the channels/running at defenders, it's exciting. 

Final ball and finishing let's us down but we can all see what they are trying to do. 

Also have to mention discipline. We kept our heads today, County weren't dirty but they didn't mind putting the boot in, couple of outrageous dives too but we kept the head. Apart from Fraser picking up a booking, assuming it was for dissent.

You can see from this and the Motherwell game, we are trying to play some football here.
Baccus, Erahon and Kiltie should revel in this. Big Ayunga running in behind/running the channels/running at defenders, it's exciting. 
Final ball and finishing let's us down but we can all see what they are trying to do. 
Also have to mention discipline. We kept our heads today, County weren't dirty but they didn't mind putting the boot in, couple of outrageous dives too but we kept the head. Apart from Fraser picking up a booking, assuming it was for dissent.
I think he got the booking for hitting the ball away (he was attempting a shot after the whistle had gone).

Not often I come away from a game angry but that today was unacceptable. Centre halves taking the ball, playing into the full back before getting it back and shelling it into the channel was the pattern of our whole game. It doesn’t work when you have Hiwula up front. He’s a tidy player with a good touch, but he’s scared of a battle and I don’t think I’ve seen him win an aerial challenge in his time at the club. Cancola and Callachan were far too passive and didn’t look interested in defending. Obviously his first game and you can’t take much stock from it, but Callum Johnson looks a downgrade on Connor Randall. Sims and Owura are far more effective when cutting in on their stronger foot so they were both pretty non existent in the first half until they were swapped. I tend to be quite a positive and don’t like slating players (despite half of this heads gone being exactly that), but I’m finished with Dom Samuel. Stuck up for him for a long time but he’s not strong enough to play up top on his own, doesnt work well in a two and is a passenger when playing in behind.

I thought Purrington, White and maybe Olaigbe were the only ones worthy of pass marks. White has to start next week versus Killie which now becomes an early must win game which is disappointing. In general though, we were outfought and simply bullied.

Deserved the win, nobody could of complained had that of finished 3-0. 

Dunne was tremendous, swept up everything and covered for Joe a number of times. 

baccus, Erhahon and Kiltie were all excellent, Erhahon is like a man reborn under Robinson.

big Ayunga was class, was a handful all day, winning headers he shouldn’t be winning and his link up play was terrific, he deserved a goal.

brilliant win today. 

Strain, Baccus and Erhahon for me today!

Baccus especially looks a real find, would imagine he’s still not 100% fit either so exciting times ahead to see how he progresses.

Wasn’t a huge amount of quality in the game, Taits absolute worldy aside. I expected a lot more from RC but they were pretty shite and dirty b*****ds, sincerely hope you go down this year for giving your rat of a manager a platform in the dugout again.

We looks organised and hungry but still lack quality in the final third!

Amazing what a win does, looking forward to next week!

Strange game first 15-20 mins county seemed intent on kicking us off the park and starting stuff off the ball. 

We played a lot better than I expected and should have won by more. 

Icavitti throwing up on the park after coming out for the second half was not expected either, guess he was just fearful of the doing Ayonga was giving him. 😉

2 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

Icavitti throwing up on the park after coming out for the second half was not expected either, guess he was just fearful of the doing Ayonga was giving him. 😉

I didnt notice that, did the groundsman come on with some sawdust?

7 minutes ago, Munoz said:

That was the most welcome 3 pts in many a game. 

Thoroughly deserved victory with very few poor performances. 

Onwards and upwards. 

Big sexy Joe was probably one of the worst for a change but he was winning headers and blootering everything away by the end, can forgive him for a shakey first half.

Brophy looks so far away from full fitness. He hasn't had a lot of minutes since the end of the season. 

Delighted with the win of course but if this is what Robinson’s murder ball looks like, you can keep it. 

Not impressed by his tactics of keeping 10 players in our half from the moment we went 1 up.  Strain was under instructions not to cross the halfway line and it was really frustrating.

Big Ayonga absolutely bossed their number 6 - surprised he wasn’t subbed off. 

Chuffed Richard Tait got his goal, absolutely screamer of a finish. 

The West Stand linesman was the worst, laziest official I’ve seen in years. 

1 hour ago, Matty-RCFC said:

About 5 seconds after the whistle had gone too. He should also have been booked in the first half for trying to chop Owura on the counter.

Without exaggeration, Owura could have ended up booked on four separate occasions today. How he got away without not only staying on the park but not even in the ref's book is outrageous.

Horrible wee shit of a player.

4 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Delighted with the win of course but if this is what Robinson’s murder ball looks like, you can keep it. 

Not impressed by his tactics of keeping 10 players in our half from the moment we went 1 up.  Strain was under instructions not to cross the halfway line and it was really frustrating. 

Honestly, quite a strange take for me. I don't think we went anything like everyone behind the ball at 1 up and about 80% of Strain's touches were in the opposition half.

Strain was breathing out his arse at 70 minutes. He done an absolute power of running today.

Edited by djchapsticks

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Without exaggeration, Owura could have ended up booked on four separate occasions today. How he got away without not only staying on the park but not even in the ref's book is outrageous.

It's an art form - being able to commit a foul and not getting booked for it, and it's a lot harder than it was 10 or 20 years ago.

Our ex, Handsome Jim was a master at it until he got caught elbowing that Dundee Utd. starlet (where is he now?) after that HJ was a marked man and often booked for innocuous challenges which were barely fouls.

Our 99/00 (Tommy Turner) and 05/06 (Andy Millen) First Division wins were in no small measure due to these guys being masters at it.

Every team needs a horrible wee shit of a player!

36 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Looks like he could be a very tidy player on his game, but deary me he got away with a few nasty challenges and incidents after the ball was gone.

How he stayed on the pitch was quite baffling.

ve5U0Iz.gif

I’m totally calm, the better team won on the day and we’ll be fine come May in terms of relegation places. However, the above posts regarding us as hammerthrowers I think is probably unfair as I thought both teams were just as physical as each other today. If anything, I actually thought County were very much outfought.