Who was the UK’s last decent PM?

Brother Blades

Probably Blair before he got all War Crimey.  Then again having grown up under Thatcher then Major.  You could have put a ginger Welshman in charge and he'd have been lauded.
Blair's first term achievements were policies he inherited from John Smith rather than his own policies.

7 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Oaksoft - do the entire board a favour and f**k off.

You really are a waste of a keyboard.

Surely we'd all miss Oaksoft's worldview of "there are losers in life, but I did alright, so f**k 'em." Blair almost eradicating poverty should also be taken very seriously, considering how long he contended that poverty just flat-out doesn't exist in the UK.

Anyway, Thatcher was likely the last one to have actual beliefs beyond cold self-interest, which is a terrifying thought considering what they were.

35 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Surely we'd all miss Oaksoft's worldview of "there are losers in life, but I did alright, so f**k 'em." Blair almost eradicating poverty should also be taken very seriously, considering how long he contended that poverty just flat-out doesn't exist in the UK.

Anyway, Thatcher was likely the last one to have actual beliefs beyond cold self-interest, which is a terrifying thought considering what they were.

In fairness Thatcher’s core belief was that everyone should have little more than cold self-interest.

I would say pre-Iraq Blair, helped by having a competent cabinet, something that has been seriously lacking recently. Although as mentioned above they were implementing John Smith's policies and getting to undo some of the worst of Thatcherism, so it was shooty in for them at first.

Before my time, but without a doubt Clem Attlee. The NHS, the Welfare State, nationalised rail, col and steel, and achieved all of that despite the catastrophic state of the economy post-war. Also began the process of decolonisation. Pretty much the only left of centre government.

I was born in 1990 and do not class any of the PMs who I remember (Blair, Brown, Cameron, May, Johnson) to be "good".

Though Blair would be remembered a great deal more fondly if he had had the backbone to not blindly follow Bush to war. That was unforgivable IMO and he should be in prison for that.

Brown is a decent man but was incompetent as PM.

Cameron is a w****r and this Brexit shite was his fault.

May was useless.

Boris Johnson is probably the worst PM there has ever been and a terrible person.

13 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I was born in 1990 and do not class any of the PMs who I remember (Blair, Brown, Cameron, May, Johnson) to be "good".

Though Blair would be remembered a great deal more fondly if he had had the backbone to not blindly follow Bush to war. That was unforgivable IMO and he should be in prison for that.

Brown is a decent man but was incompetent as PM.

Cameron is a w****r and this Brexit shite was his fault.

May was useless.

Boris Johnson is probably the worst PM there has ever been and a terrible person.

I’d dispute this. He’s a shameless, lying, sick, manipulative c**t. Whether he always was or the disgrace of his term in office turned him into one, I don’t know - but a dirty b*****d he is.

Harold Wilson.

Legalised homosexuality, introduced the Race Relations Act to prevent employers and landlords explicitly refusing to recruit or house someone based on their skin colour, liberalised abortion and divorce, effectively abolished capital punishment, created the Open University and kept us out of that Vietnam nonsense (can you imagine Blair saying no to America?)

He wasn't perfect, devaluation and a move to a more restrictive immigration policy are black marks, but I feel that he was more good than bad and many of his social reforms will, hopefully, never be reversed.

Wilson was the last good Prime Minister, Attlee was the last, and possibly only, great one.

I also have some affection for Asquith and Lloyd George before the latter got Torified.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

3 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Harold Wilson.

Legalised homosexuality, introduced the Race Relations Act to prevent employers and landlords explicitly refusing to recruit or house someone based on their skin colour, liberalised abortion and divorce, effectively abolished capital punishment, created the Open University and kept us out of that Vietnam nonsense (can you imagine Blair saying no to America?)

He wasn't perfect, devaluation and a move to a more restrictive immigration policy are black marks, but I feel that he was more good than bad and many of his social reforms will, hopefully, never be reversed.

Wilson was the last good Prime Minister, Attlee was the last, and possibly only, great one.

I also have some affection for Asquith and Lloyd George before the latter got Torified.

In England and Wales, yes that was the case in 1967, we had to wait another generation and 1980 for a similar enlightenment.

That 

Is 

Disgrace 

On 08/08/2022 at 09:51, Brother Blades said:

Discuss-

I can’t think of any in my lifetime who in hindsight could be classed as decent & certainly not “good”.

Start with a list of the dead…like most politicians, the good ones are inevitably better as they can’t f**k things up any more.

7 hours ago, TxRover said:

Start with a list of the dead…like most politicians, the good ones are inevitably better as they can’t f**k things up any more.

It can be argued that, looking at Truss's tribute act, the late Thatch is still fucking things up