Queens v Airdrie

Quitongo will be out the team next week hopefully. Cochrane too. Better 2nd half still no win though looked better when Mckechnie and Todd came on.

I didn't think Quitongo did much wrong tbh but had to make way for East and his height/physical presence. Similarly with Cochrane tbh. I didn't think he was doing much but I put it down to our system in the first half more than anything. I don't think Cochrane and Wilson will work as a CM pairing but again, the pair of them were on a hiding to nothing as they were completely alone in midfield.

I laughed when Murray was announced as motm mind you ao clearly I watch different games. I wouldn't have had him in my top 3.

Awful first half. I hope WG has got the 3 at the back project well and truly out his system. It. Does. Not. Work. Still not solid in the second half but we were far more comfortable with a back 4 and we had more presence in the middle. Thought McKechnie put in a really good shift and surely starts next week. The strikers got more involved as well as they were completely isolated in the first. The motm was playing behind them which is what I would like to see but he stayed up when we were defending so we were a man short at the back. For all Airdrie's possession we managed to shut them out really well tbh. But for a Currie howler they never really threatened our goal. We actually should have been going into the break drawing tbh.

Second half much better and we need to build on that. Back four please. McKenna has had a hard time of it but I wish he had more belief in himself going forward. He has a cracking delivery. Connelly should make a big difference next week as well.

Fair play to Airdrie btw. I don't think I've ever seen a team start timewasting as early as the 46th minute [emoji38]

Also please get that "pitch " to f**k. Absolutely howling.
Commented today that it seemed to be getting stuck even more in player's feet. Was it watered beforehand? It really is an absolutely horrendous surface.

1 hour ago, Dougie Mills said:

Better 2nd half but overall that still isn’t nearly good enough.  All evidence so far suggests we’ll be lucky to finish top half.

This.

The shape and personnel looked better after half-time.  

However, we're certainly not looking like a strong side in this division.  It's clearly early days, but I can see this place becoming home for a while.  Without improvement, even that might become the new target. 

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

This.

However, we're certainly not looking like a strong side in this division.  It's clearly early days, but I can see this place becoming home for a while.  Without improvement, even that might become the new target. 

Still think that’s an over-reaction, we should still be aiming for the play offs which I’m sure was our target at the start of the season. Hopefully now the idea of 3 at the back is binned. We shat the bed in trying to match Airdrie incase they outplayed us, decision clearly backfired. 

Think 1-1 was a fair result there today. Airdrie huffed and puffed towards the end and could see we tried to take sting out the game and slow everything down before the QotS goal, and towards the end it all went a bit turgid - understandable with the heat. Could see with our threadbare squad that we don’t really have anything on the bench to change it to force a winner, unfortunately.

And as previously mentioned, the stewarding… QotS’ safety officer should be looking at himself trying to get all airdrie fans into one section, really. Not to go all Falkirk but it certainly wouldn’t have worked. 

This.

I don't know. I'll need to see where we are after the first quarter. We're certainly not going to be running away with it but then I don't think anyone will.

In our defence and putting it a bit more basically - Airdrie arrived as league leaders today having not conceded and had put 4 past a title contender in Falkirk last week. They looked very good in the first half as well and you have to imagine they'll be up in the top 4. In the second half we were the better side and should have arguably won the game, putting the first goal of the season by them.

If we play like the first half on a regular basis I think we'll be lucky to get midtable. But if we can find a formula to make that second half the norm then there's no reason why we can't get ourselves right up there.

Think 1-1 was a fair result there today. Airdrie huffed and puffed towards the end and could see we tried to take sting out the game and slow everything down before the QotS goal, and towards the end it all went a bit turgid - understandable with the heat. Could see with our threadbare squad that we don’t really have anything on the bench to change it to force a winner, unfortunately.
And as previously mentioned, the stewarding… QotS’ safety officer should be looking at himself trying to get all airdrie fans into one section, really. Not to go all Falkirk but it certainly wouldn’t have worked. 
They made a complete arse of the stewarding last home game, being too relaxed. It appears they have went the complete opposite way this time. Useless.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't know. I'll need to see where we are after the first quarter. We're certainly not going to be running away with it but then I don't think anyone will.

In our defence and putting it a bit more basically - Airdrie arrived as league leaders today having not conceded and had put 4 past a title contender in Falkirk last week. They looked very good in the first half as well and you have to imagine they'll be up in the top 4. In the second half we were the better side and should have arguably won the game, putting the first goal of the season by them.

If we play like the first half on a regular basis I think we'll be lucky to get midtable. But if we can find a formula to make that second half the norm then there's no reason why we can't get ourselves right up there. 

It is early days and as you suggest, we did come up against a form team today.

However, I think there's a tendency here to overstate our second half performance.  It was better than what preceded it, but it wasn't all that.  Neither side really threatened the win after it went to 1-1.  

The fact that we've got 2 points from 9, having had 2 home games (yes I know) and not yet played either of the 'big' clubs, is not really a source of encouragement.

It is early days and as you suggest, we did come up against a form team today.
However, I think there's a tendency here to overstate our second half performance.  It was better than what preceded it, but it wasn't all that.  Neither side really threatened the win after it went to 1-1.  
The fact that we've got 2 points from 9, having had 2 home games (yes I know) and not yet played either of the 'big' clubs, is not really a source of encouragement.
Ruth had a chance late on when played through by Murray and we had a header at the back post from a corner that should have been better than going wide. I think we definitely had chances to win it.

Going by early form Falkirk are in for a long season as well and as I say, they were turned over fairly comfortably last week by the side we've just drawn with. I think the Top 4 is going to be up for grabs for a lot of sides this season. Like I say, I'll decide to panic or not after the first round of fixtures. By that time we'll hopefully have seen our fully fit best 11 take to the pitch!

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Dagger to the heart there 😂

I don’t know ho to put this, we’re kind of a big deal. ♦️😎

A real game of two halves tbh. We were unplayable at times in the first half although that was down to a very shaky QOTS performance. 

The second half was the reverse of the first. We couldn’t get out of our own half and QOTS got things moving about very well. A few of the wee guys were very good for you lot. 

Today really showed how shallow our squad is. Beyond our starting 11 there’s really nobody that could change a game for us. 

On another note, I think a new centre half is a priority as Watson was once again a bomb scare at times. He can be solid but his mistakes really seemed to change the mentality of the team in the second half and ultimately led to the goal.

If you offered me a draw at half time I wouldn’t have entertained it. Although Queens had a couple of chances I thought we were the better team and passed the ball about well. I was fairly happy at half time with Airdrie on top. 

Now had you offered me a point with 20 mins to go I’d have bit the hand off you for it. Queens after making the changes to bring on Todd and I think McKechnie looked a different side and we didn’t get the joy down the right after Rico going off. 

You can see the struggle we are going to have with a thread bare side. Queens made changes to get them back in to the game and we don’t have that luxury just now. 

Would have taken a point beforehand and that is still the case now home. A very encouraging start to the season. 

Currie made an arse of the goal but thought he made some cracking saves with his feet and Johnson looked to make a great save late on from the outside of the boot shot. 

7 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Dagger to the heart there 😂

I don’t know ho to put this, we’re kind of a big deal. ♦️😎

If you like.

However, Falkirk and Dunfermline are genuinely big clubs to find themselves at this level.

Your club and ours alas, are not particularly, although we should certainly be looking upwards.

I despair after that first half set up and performance. Back 5 at home in League 1,  barely getting out of our own half and almost every player (with a few exceptions) looking like League 2 standard. Will be amazed if this group can challenge at top of table without significant reinforcements and if we keep playing like this we will be fighting to avoid the bottom 2. Double whammy - we no longer regularly have WG as a player and we have this cumbersome back 5 that is shoehorning certain players into the team who simply don’t merit inclusion based on their performances. Second half was better thankfully but still nothing to “write home about”. Basic 4-4-2 please and let’s use our youngsters more pro-actively if the more seasoned Pros are not delivering (which most of them are not).

Even at this early stage we have witnessed 3 very poor home performances out of 4. We did see some fight second half which rescued a point but we are already 7 points behind Dunfermline and changes required in set up and personnel.

First half we looked a much better side in terms of passing and possession, although in all honesty didn't create much and Queens looked just as likely to score from being more direct and set pieces. Currie made a couple of decent saves with his legs but that was about it. Johnson made a great stop for us from a one on one.

2nd half Queens changed it and worked us out, I thought we continued to play the same tactic of passing it out from the back for too long. I'm all for that but there needs to be some variety. That pitch in this weather is also dreadful and you have to consider that when trying to play like that, the ball bobbles and gets stuck under feet so easily that it's very difficult to pass out from your goal line. We were probably fortunate to get out with a draw given the 2nd half, Johnson made another cracking save.

Never normally one to be happy with a draw but 7 points from 9 from those 3 fixtures is pretty good. I think we we'll see some great football from us this season, and I really like Frizzell in that more advanced role, he was great until he tired. But I think we'll need to be better at doing the ugly side of the game if we're going to challenge for the league. We're quite easy to play through and give the ball away too much in our own half still. The other big issue is squad size which I think really had an effect today, the players were done in yet we had so few options on the bench, to only bring on 3 subs today really puts you at a disadvantage.

First half Queens were awful, although as I said worryingly still almost scored by doing very little. 2nd half they were more like what I expected them to be like from the start. I'd be surprised if they were challengers for the league but would still expect them to be around the play-offs.