Queens v Airdrie

Mentioned on the Airdrie thread a couple days ago but I hope that we get Gallacher in on top of Currie and pile crosses in to him, should be able to get something off of that as he is very shaky with crosses.

Good shot stopper but prone to an error and hopefully he has a couple in him on Saturday.

Did McCabe play further forward in midfield when he was at Queens or a defensive mid? I could imagine him being pretty anonymous further forward but when he plays as a deep lying midfielder for us he's the one the dictates and controls the game.
Sitting midfielder. As I say, you could see he had ability/potential to control games but it never really worked out for him. I don't know if the pace of the Championship/less time on the ball is what caught him out. It didn't surprise me to hear he was doing well in League 1 though. I'd have been happy for him to have stayed but similarly I wasn't devastated he left. He did play a fair few games in the middle with the invisible man that was Joe McKee so that probably didn't help either.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Though some of our fans have written off Currie already it seems. Mental this early IMO.

McCabe was fine for us and nothing more. You could see he had ability and was comfortable on the ball but too often he'd be completely anonymous in the middle. He's not been the last CM of ours to have that trait though sadly.

Currie made an arse of the 1st Annan goal (though was claiming a foul, not sure it was). That aside I really dont know what folk think he's done wrong. Three clean sheets away from home including a Man of the Match showing at Ayr. I wouldnt blame him particularly for any of the other goals we've lost at home. And including pre-season he's saved 3 of 6 penalties faced! He's not the tallest but he's done fine. Josh Rae's a fine keeper but didnt exactly cover himself in glory early last season either before his injury. He looked much better when he came back in after Brynn left.

I quite liked McCabe for us. Quietly effective, you noticed him more when he wasnt there than when he was (though he had a horror show in the 1st home game v Raith and was responsible for at least two of their goals). I think its difficult for fans to give a fair assessment of him as his entire QoS career was behind closed doors and he wasnt the sort of showy player to catch the eye on camera. I thought AJ should probably have tried harder to keep him. We missed his calmness in the middle at times last season.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

McCabe does seem like someone who excels in a team who dominate possession, which we have done for most of the games he’s played in. I think he’d be fine without the ball but I can absolutely see why he’d go under the radar. As I said earlier, he’s generally played at centre back or at the base of a midfield three for us, so he has plenty of time and space on the ball compared to a midfield two with Joe McKee.

40 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

Mentioned on the Airdrie thread a couple days ago but I hope that we get Gallacher in on top of Currie and pile crosses in to him, should be able to get something off of that as he is very shaky with crosses.

Good shot stopper but prone to an error and hopefully he has a couple in him on Saturday.

I get your point, and I was probably Currie's biggest critic last year, but I don't think we should be going over the top with this kind of stuff. By all means at set-pieces get the ball on top of him, but in general play we have looked really good so far with quick attacking football on the deck, throwing that out the window to just chuck balls in the box doesn't seem a sensible plan to me, for his flaws he's still a League 1 standard goalkeeper who will deal with most punts in the box, that's if the defence haven't already.

McCabe and Fordyce will know his weaknesses better than anyone can so will hopefully have a way to expose them within our current way of playing.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Do we?

Our record against the sides round us was actually decent enough last season.

We got very little from the stronger ones though.

Not restricting it to just last season but its always been my impression over the years that we tend to raise our game against the better teams, or bigger clubs, and then often follow that up with poor displays and results against teams we should really be able to compete better with. It's part of the frustrating fascination of following Queens. 

I get your point, and I was probably Currie's biggest critic last year, but I don't think we should be going over the top with this kind of stuff. By all means at set-pieces get the ball on top of him, but in general play we have looked really good so far with quick attacking football on the deck, throwing that out the window to just chuck balls in the box doesn't seem a sensible plan to me, for his flaws he's still a League 1 standard goalkeeper who will deal with most punts in the box, that's if the defence haven't already.
McCabe and Fordyce will know his weaknesses better than anyone can so will hopefully have a way to expose them within our current way of playing.
As I said after the Clyde game when some Airdrie fan had a pop at Currie for some bizarre reason - he's been far from our biggest problem so far. I expect Fordyce and McCabe will be looking at other easier ways to break us down rather than focusing on Currie's weaknesses as you say.

Hate to jinx it but I’m feeling quite confident about this one.

On paper Queens should give us a good game which I expect they will. After leaking 4 goals in the opening day of the season they’ve tightened up their defence pretty quickly with that 0-0 against Montrose. Im pretty sure I won’t be the only Airdrie fan who is relishing in the idea of Paul McKay at centre half. He was one of those kind of players who did absolutely nothing wrong by doing absolutely nothing and was as soft as butter when it came to physical games. Will be interesting though…

We on the other hand have yet to concede and seem to be taking our chances. The fact that goals come from all over the pitch shows how many chances we’re creating. Even though we beat Falkirk 4-0, we could definitely turn it up another level for sure. Hopefully we do that Saturday ♦️ 

Airdrie slight favourites with the bookies which is probably right given early form. Looking at the positives from Saturday is that we kept a clean sheet against a side tipped to finish above Clyde who we shipped 4 against. So it's good to see us bouncing back quickly. We need to continue with that and be looking for a win here. A task made more difficult with Connelly out. Hopefully Reilly and Wilson both start and it'd great to see Todd on the bench though I'm not hopeful.

Looking at Airdrie's goals against Falkirk there was an air of good fortune/woeful defending with a couple of them. If we had a solid defence I'd be confident we could deal with that threat on Saturday but all I keep thinking is that Clyde only scored 4 because they weren't clinical up front. If we defend like that day here and Airdrie take their chances then it could be bad.

We have in the past stopped teams in their tracks at Palmerston when they've come full of confidence so I'm hoping for a similar outcome this time. Really wanting the win but wouldn't grumble with a point at this stage.

Two wins and two clean sheets obviously means we'll go into this with confidence, and a 0-0 with Montrose before playing us didn't do Falkirk any good, but it's that hazy, bonkers stage in the season where teams are still growing into themselves and settling down (as we found last year with a poor start) so it's by no means a given that we bag another three points here. 

It had been an age since we'd won our opening two fixtures in a league campaign, so winning three on the trot would be some going. If we can get that interchanging movement from the forwards that we saw particularly second half last week and first half the week before, the stuff St Mirren couldnae handle and that carved out chances we wasted in Arbroath in the opening half of that game, I'd fancy our increasingly sharp looking strikers to capitalise again. 

We'll go into it with great confidence, obviously, and it ought to be a long, dizzying day for the Queens defence if we get our game going the way we know we can, but I expect QoS to be significantly improved from their opening home game, where they looked absolutely abysmal. 

Fancy us to score, but can we keep three clean sheets on the bounce? Here's hoping. Watson, Fordyce, Ballantyne and Deveney were all excellent on Saturday. Presumably we'll go same again in terms of the starting 11 (apart from the goalie, as that was only a 7 day emergency loan, wasn't it?) 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

(apart from the goalie, as that was only a 7 day emergency loan, wasn't it?) 

All emergency goalkeeper loans are 7 days. it doesn't stop you renewing it for a further 7 days if required. That was clearly already his 2nd 7 day loan given he played at Peterhead the week before. Given Josh Rae was in Spain last week you'd presume he's not particularly near a return.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

All emergency goalkeeper loans are 7 days. it doesn't stop you renewing it for a further 7 days if required. That was clearly already his 2nd 7 day loan given he played at Peterhead the week before. Given Josh Rae was in Spain last week you'd presume he's not particularly near a return.

Our match preview last week stated he wasn't far away from a return and since we've not heard anything that murray hasn't extended his loan they must fancy Josh to start on Sat

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Two wins and two clean sheets obviously means we'll go into this with confidence, and a 0-0 with Montrose before playing us didn't do Falkirk any good, but it's that hazy, bonkers stage in the season where teams are still growing into themselves and settling down (as we found last year with a poor start) so it's by no means a given that we bag another three points here. 

It had been an age since we'd won our opening two fixtures in a league campaign, so winning three on the trot would be some going. If we can get that interchanging movement from the forwards that we saw particularly second half last week and first half the week before, the stuff St Mirren couldnae handle and that carved out chances we wasted in Arbroath in the opening half of that game, I'd fancy our increasingly sharp looking strikers to capitalise again. 

We'll go into it with great confidence, obviously, and it ought to be a long, dizzying day for the Queens defence if we get our game going the way we know we can, but I expect QoS to be significantly improved from their opening home game, where they looked absolutely abysmal. 

Fancy us to score, but can we keep three clean sheets on the bounce? Here's hoping. Watson, Fordyce, Ballantyne and Deveney were all excellent on Saturday. Presumably we'll go same again in terms of the starting 11 (apart from the goalie, as that was only a 7 day emergency loan, wasn't it?) 

Heard we are extending it for Saturday as rae still isn’t fully fit 

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Maybe; we announced his loan on the morning of the Peterhead game, so not sure, maybe Saturday versus falkirk was indeed included in that. No announcement as yet of a continuation of the loan but aye, doesn't preclude them from having done so and not announced it. 

Rae I think was at the home game Saturday, no idea if he'll be ready or not. 

1 minute ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Heard we are extending it for Saturday as rae still isn’t fully fit 

I'd be very happy with that; two clean sheets. Not really had much to do, but looks comfortable. 

3 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Our match preview last week stated he wasn't far away from a return and since we've not heard anything that murray hasn't extended his loan they must fancy Josh to start on Sat

It would be pretty unusual to let a player go abroad for a holiday if they were within a few days of fitness. If he was anywhere close then he could be doing rehab work, not sitting by a pool in Spain. Murray's still on loan, can't renew it until it expires!

1 minute ago, AndyDD said:

Maybe; we announced his loan on the morning of the Peterhead game, so not sure, maybe Saturday versus falkirk was indeed included in that. No announcement as yet of a continuation of the loan but aye, doesn't preclude them from having done so and not announced it. 

Rae I think was at the home game Saturday, no idea if he'll be ready or not. 

2 Saturdays = 8 days. Even if he signed at 2:59pm on the Peterhead Saturday he wouldn't be eligible to play Falkirk at 3pm the next Saturday. He's on his 2nd loan already.

Josh will be desperate to play I'm sure and will get a good welcome hopefully if he does. He did well last season.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

2 Saturdays = 8 days. Even if he signed at 2:59pm on the Peterhead Saturday he wouldn't be eligible to play Falkirk at 3pm the next Saturday. He's on his 2nd loan already.

Josh will be desperate to play I'm sure and will get a good welcome hopefully if he does. He did well last season.

Shrug, probably right about that, without having seen the actual agreement signed by the two clubs I guess it's all academic now. Main thing is, looks likely he'll be in goal on the day.

More than happy for Murray Johnson to continue but a shame for Josh Rae, who has looked good and will be annoyed to have missed the opening league games. I expect he'll be there in some capacity right enough. 

2 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Shrug, probably right about that, without having seen the actual agreement signed by the two clubs I guess it's all academic now. Main thing is, looks likely he'll be in goal on the day.

More than happy for Murray Johnson to continue but a shame for Josh Rae, who has looked good and will be annoyed to have missed the opening league games. I expect he'll be there in some capacity right enough. 

😂

It's an assumption right enough but I'm fairly sure that the agreement between the two clubs will not have been able to amend the operation of the Gregorian Calendar! It's 8 days. 8 days are more than 7 days. He's on his 2nd loan already.

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

😂

It's an assumption right enough but I'm fairly sure that the agreement between the two clubs will not have been able to amend the operation of the Gregorian Calendar! It's 8 days. 8 days are more than 7 days. He's on his 2nd loan already.

Haha, well quite so, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they agreed to have him in up to and including match day 2, depending on what they knew about the extent of Rae's absence at the time. 

Alternatively, he'll be on loan three come Saturday, or they extended it into a longer term loan and no longer a 7 day rolling one and haven't said so. Ultimately matters not; he'll be in goals, presumably, if Rae isn't back fit yet. We'll probably get an update on Friday when the match preview is published.