Queens v Airdrie

40 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Calling bullshit on his part there. I don't even think juice is £2.

ETA. The Mrs bought two fizzy drinks and a carton yesterday and it came to £3.50. No danger they charged £2 for a wee water.

50p each for two wee cartons of orange juice.

5 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Game of two half's pretty much yesterday. Airdrie looked very good in the first half, knocking the ball about well and arguably could of been a couple goals up at half time.

Second half Queens changed their shape to a 4231 I think and suited them more. You's should seriously ditch the back 3. The boy number 18 looked very impressive when he came on and similar to Airdrie in the first half, arguably Queens could of went on and won it. Tbh, I was relieved when the full time whistle blew and I'm pretty happy with the point. Although it is early days I'd fancy QOS to get top 4 if you play like you did in the second half.

Think the game showed that we are in need for at least 2/3 signings to come in, if the game isn't going our way or we are under pressure, we don't have a lot of options to change it, whereas the opposition did.

Thought the security was a bit OTT there tbh with the steward trying to cram everyone in the one wee section at 2.30pm despite more fans coming in, was clearly inevitable that our fans couldn't fill that one section and had to sit further to the left. Made a complete fool of himself and the fans were right to laugh at him when the fans could eventually sit slightly further along.

Overall all a pretty good day out in the sunshine and enjoyed watching some ice-hocky in the 'Doonhamers club' after the game (think that's what it was called. Find it strange a fan got charged for water, I got 4 cups completely free. Spoke to Craig Watson briefly after tha game and said that was horrendous to play in, full credit to both teams for the effort they put in.

No. 18 was Kieran McKechnie - looks a fine wee player in the making.

Security - that's all part and parcel of the Palmerston total entertainment package at no extra cost.

I was feeling sorry for the players at kick-off having to play in that heat.  Fully agree, both sides gave it their all.

23 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Took one bite of it and it wasn’t even cooked properly can believe use even charged for a cup of tap water 

8 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

That's strange. Our group got water on a couple of occasions from the pie stall and weren't charged. 

I got a free cup of water also. Perhaps the boy claiming he was charged £2 didn’t attend one of Airdrie’s finer seats of learning? 

Onto the game, I can’t add much more than what’s already been said but I’m happy with the point (as I would have been before the game) and think it was a fair result over the piece. We knocked the ball about really well in the first-half and Ballantyne and Jamieson in particular were getting a lot of joy. Jamieson is going to score one of those angled shots from the right-hand side of the box one day! Currie spilling the ball was a good laugh and Gal did what he does best in being in the right place in the box. All that being said, Queens can maybe feel aggrieved not to have scored themselves in the first-half. They didn’t create much but they did let us away with our own slackness a few times with a poor final ball/end product. The second-half, and in particular, the early introductions of Todd and McKechnie changed the game. Todd gave Queens an impetus in midfield and actually allowed them a bit of possession and McKechnie drove them forward with a bit of directness and constantly looked dangerous. Unfortunately, we just didn’t have the same mechanisms to be able to change the game off the bench. Some of the players looked done around the 50-60 minute mark, McCabe was obviously feeling it to take himself off and I’ve no doubt every other player on the park did too. But our bench included a 16 year old Cole Gibson who, as well as he’s done, it wouldn’t have been fair to bring on in yesterday’s game, Salim who’s barely played football in two years and who’s still getting up to match fitness and Wylie who’s also getting up to speed with football at this level. I’d still have brought the 3 subs we did make on earlier but clearly there’s not the same game-changing potential there. I agree with McCabe’s transfer philosophy but clearly there’s a need to fill the squad. We’ve been saying this since the League Cup! 

I love watching us play it out from the back but agree that there needs to be more variety and, a bit of common sense, deployed at times. We were actually fortunate we weren’t caught out more often yesterday and the better sides in the league will continue to find us out and punish us if we don’t mix it up a bit. Perhaps part of the problem is there’s no one really able to hold the ball up at the top end of the park? Gal I think has actually done it better in the last couple of games but he’s not a target man, Gabby’s touch and hold-up play was crap when he came on yesterday and Salim wasn’t on long enough, and we didn’t see enough of the ball, for him to have any sort of impact in that regard. 

The way the game was going I was happy to leave with the point. Overall I had a cracking day out at Palmerston. Hadn’t been down for years but it remains one of my favourite away days. A proper football ground and glorious in the sunshine (don’t remember ever putting sun cream on before a football game in Scotland before?). Seagull shite notwithstanding. 

As many others have already pointed out, lots of credit due to both sets of players for the amount of work they put in. Was knackering just sitting in the stand, so fair play, a lot of running and working in punishing conditions from all involved. 

Team playing into the sun first half seemed to struggle the most. Team playing into the sun second half seemed to struggle the most. I don't think this is a coincidence. 

Thought Airdrie merited their lead in the first half and but for a few decent leg-saves by Currie and a few cases of final ball not being quite on the money, would have had a 2 goal lead they'd have merited. QoS struggled to cope with the movement of Smithy and Jamieson, and they really struggled to live with Frizz, who continues to look a class apart. An outstanding last ditch tackle stopped him winning the game second half, albeit by that point the match had turned to the point a defeat would have been very harsh on the hosts. 

Second half the subs really gave QoS fresh impetus and they definitely merited the goal, which had felt like it was coming for a good five minutes at least. A good save from Murray Johnson and some good defending only thing that kept our unbeaten run going. 

You always want to sneak games like that and we nearly did, but a decent enough point I would think. If you cannae win, try not to lose etc etc. Play like they did second half and Queens will pick up plenty points too. I'd not be panicking if I were them. 

As many others have already pointed out, lots of credit due to both sets of players for the amount of work they put in. Was knackering just sitting in the stand, so fair play, a lot of running and working in punishing conditions from all involved. 
Team playing into the sun first half seemed to struggle the most. Team playing into the sun second half seemed to struggle the most. I don't think this is a coincidence. 
Thought Airdrie merited their lead in the first half and but for a few decent leg-saves by Currie and a few cases of final ball not being quite on the money, would have had a 2 goal lead they'd have merited. QoS struggled to cope with the movement of Smithy and Jamieson, and they really struggled to live with Frizz, who continues to look a class apart. An outstanding last ditch tackle stopped him winning the game second half, albeit by that point the match had turned to the point a defeat would have been very harsh on the hosts. 
Second half the subs really gave QoS fresh impetus and they definitely merited the goal, which had felt like it was coming for a good five minutes at least. A good save from Murray Johnson and some good defending only thing that kept our unbeaten run going. 
You always want to sneak games like that and we nearly did, but a decent enough point I would think. If you cannae win, try not to lose etc etc. Play like they did second half and Queens will pick up plenty points too. I'd not be panicking if I were them. 

Aye but where did you go for something to eat?!

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye but where did you go for something to eat?!

Hahahaha, remiss of me not to focus on that really. Went with Cavan arms,  was ideal, good selection of beers as well, so thanks again to all for the suggestions. Really enjoyed the trip all in.

On 14/08/2022 at 20:33, airdrieman said:

I got a free cup of water also. Perhaps the boy claiming he was charged £2 didn’t attend one of Airdrie’s finer seats of learning? 

Onto the game, I can’t add much more than what’s already been said but I’m happy with the point (as I would have been before the game) and think it was a fair result over the piece. We knocked the ball about really well in the first-half and Ballantyne and Jamieson in particular were getting a lot of joy. Jamieson is going to score one of those angled shots from the right-hand side of the box one day! Currie spilling the ball was a good laugh and Gal did what he does best in being in the right place in the box. All that being said, Queens can maybe feel aggrieved not to have scored themselves in the first-half. They didn’t create much but they did let us away with our own slackness a few times with a poor final ball/end product. The second-half, and in particular, the early introductions of Todd and McKechnie changed the game. Todd gave Queens an impetus in midfield and actually allowed them a bit of possession and McKechnie drove them forward with a bit of directness and constantly looked dangerous. Unfortunately, we just didn’t have the same mechanisms to be able to change the game off the bench. Some of the players looked done around the 50-60 minute mark, McCabe was obviously feeling it to take himself off and I’ve no doubt every other player on the park did too. But our bench included a 16 year old Cole Gibson who, as well as he’s done, it wouldn’t have been fair to bring on in yesterday’s game, Salim who’s barely played football in two years and who’s still getting up to match fitness and Wylie who’s also getting up to speed with football at this level. I’d still have brought the 3 subs we did make on earlier but clearly there’s not the same game-changing potential there. I agree with McCabe’s transfer philosophy but clearly there’s a need to fill the squad. We’ve been saying this since the League Cup! 

I love watching us play it out from the back but agree that there needs to be more variety and, a bit of common sense, deployed at times. We were actually fortunate we weren’t caught out more often yesterday and the better sides in the league will continue to find us out and punish us if we don’t mix it up a bit. Perhaps part of the problem is there’s no one really able to hold the ball up at the top end of the park? Gal I think has actually done it better in the last couple of games but he’s not a target man, Gabby’s touch and hold-up play was crap when he came on yesterday and Salim wasn’t on long enough, and we didn’t see enough of the ball, for him to have any sort of impact in that regard. 

The way the game was going I was happy to leave with the point. Overall I had a cracking day out at Palmerston. Hadn’t been down for years but it remains one of my favourite away days. A proper football ground and glorious in the sunshine (don’t remember ever putting sun cream on before a football game in Scotland before?). Seagull shite notwithstanding. 

This is a good point, when we weren't trying to play one-twos out our penalty box the plan a lot of the time seemed to be to play it short to McCabe who would chip it up to the half way line for Gallagher. I thought he did okay and Frizzell did manage to get a few of the scraps, but I can't see that being a great option longer term, it's really not Gallagher or McGill's strength.

I think we'll need to go longer and hit it over the top on occasions, if nothing else it forces the opposition back a bit. In the 2nd half the Queens back line were able to push up to the half way line because they knew we weren't going to play it over the top. If you go longer on occasions it will force their defence to drop deeper and that creates the space to play it out from the back and pass through them. We were getting swamped in the 2nd half because the entire Queens outfield were able to push on with no fear of being caught out in behind. Smith and Jamieson also have plenty of pace to cause real problems if we go longer, the last thing defenders in this league want is to have to turn and run back towards their own goal.

I was really excited by aspects of our play and it's clear that McCabe has been working hard on a style which the players have bought into, I just hope we don't become too one dimensional trying to play a certain way, teams will have now had us watched and seen what we're about. If we can learn to mix it up a bit I think we'll be a real good side.

12 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Have Airdrie been trying to play out from the back all season or is it partially down to the goalkeeper's woeful kicking?

All season (such as it is). A very clear and deliberate decision made by Rhys since he took over. High risk/High reward stuff, for sure, but when it works, it really does work, pulling the opposition on to us and opening up space to get the ball to Frizz and Devenny, Smith and Jamieson. I love that the players trust each other and themselves enough to implement that style (even if it does occasionally prompt the heart to enter the mouth).