Queens v Airdrie

I thought Airdrie looked good in the first half. Ballantyne and Jamieson both getting joy out of Quitongo and Frizzell getting in behind Cochrane and Wilson. 

We were dreadful though. Somebody mentioned that we looked ok defensively, couldn’t disagree more with that. I thought Morrison was horrific, slashed at everything, wanted far too long in possession. McKay was pretty poor the entire game as well. Airdrie just put balls onto his head or in behind him and you could guarantee he was putting it out of play high up the pitch. No composure at all. Credit to East playing beside the two of them and still managing to have a good game. 

Gibson needs to get the 3 at the back in the bin, or the support will soon turn against him. We don’t have the personnel for it - both Quitongo and McKenna were too deep and we were stuck in our own half. 

The second half was better, but still not good enough if we want to be challenging for promotion. Return of 2 points from the 3 games we’ve started  with is poor. 

I thought Airdrie looked good in the first half. Ballantyne and Jamieson both getting joy out of Quitongo and Frizzell getting in behind Cochrane and Wilson. 

We were dreadful though. Somebody mentioned that we looked ok defensively, couldn’t disagree more with that. I thought Morrison was horrific, slashed at everything, wanted far too long in possession. McKay was pretty poor the entire game as well. Airdrie just put balls onto his head or in behind him and you could guarantee he was putting it out of play high up the pitch. No composure at all. Credit to East playing beside the two of them and still managing to have a good game. 

Gibson needs to get the 3 at the back in the bin, or the support will soon turn against him. We don’t have the personnel for it - both Quitongo and McKenna were too deep and we were stuck in our own half. 

The second half was better, but still not good enough if we want to be challenging for promotion. Return of 2 points from the 3 games we’ve started  with is poor. 

I said I thought the defence did ok. Airdrie were all over us in the first half. They had the bulk of possession and yet all they got from it was a goal gifted to them and a couple of shots that the keeper dealt with pretty comfortably.

The defence was nowhere near the biggest issue in that first half. The lack of protection from the non-existent/overrun midfield was the problem. Or to put it more simply - the defence protected the goalkeeper far better than the midfield protected the defence.

Even when the defence did get the ball their only option was to hoof it up the park due to no one wanting to take it from them.

A game of 2 Halves in Costa del Fries. Had to wonder how it would pan out after Currie spilled out that free kick, and not getting a second ,allowed Queens to change tactics and guys. There had been so much space for Ballantyne and Jameson which all largely vanished as a different left back and the other sub gave a more solid back four.

We also persisted in daft kick outs conceding much of the midfield . I don't really mind clever intricate passing but we over played at times.

At times in the first half we made some daft errors and a more clinical side could have done damage.

Queens deserved the equaliser and but for a great save , might well have won.

Years of watching Airdrieonians means we should not get carried away with our start . Goals are there in the team and I think a point was a fair result.

Never saw any stewarding issues but there appeared to be some kind of chat going on at far end?

Thought we lost the break throughs from Smith for much of the game. Still to see us win at Palmerston in many years and I hate 4 game fixture's!

Edited by Chapelhall chap

4 minutes ago, JK_Queens said:

Morrison leathering the ball to McKenna twice in about five minutes from five yards away then throwing his arms in the air when it wasn’t a good touch was infuriating. Was some away support today to be fair, best I’ve seen in a bit come to Palmerston.

53 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I despair after that first half set up and performance. Back 5 at home in League 1,  barely getting out of our own half and almost every player (with a few exceptions) looking like League 2 standard. Will be amazed if this group can challenge at top of table without significant reinforcements and if we keep playing like this we will be fighting to avoid the bottom 2. Double whammy - we no longer regularly have WG as a player and we have this cumbersome back 5 that is shoehorning certain players into the team who simply don’t merit inclusion based on their performances. Second half was better thankfully but still nothing to “write home about”. Basic 4-4-2 please and let’s use our youngsters more pro-actively if the more seasoned Pros are not delivering (which most of them are not).

Even at this early stage we have witnessed 3 very poor home performances out of 4. We did see some fight second half which rescued a point but we are already 7 points behind Dunfermline and changes required in set up and personnel.

Interesting that he isn't playing, why isn't he? Obviously I've not seen Queens for years but I assumed he was one of your better performers in recent years. Would have thought at a lower level he'd be a good player still.

Obviously there are challenges with the player/manager role of playing while taking the team which I assume is part of it. But would still have thought he'd be playing most of the time.

24 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Interesting that he isn't playing, why isn't he? Obviously I've not seen Queens for years but I assumed he was one of your better performers in recent years. Would have thought at a lower level he'd be a good player still.

Obviously there are challenges with the player/manager role of playing while taking the team which I assume is part of it. But would still have thought he'd be playing most of the time.

WG is an outstanding player at this level and would walk into any team in League 1 or Championship for that matter. Unfortunately, most of the players starting ahead of him are not of the required standard. Delighted to be proved wrong of course but it was obvious today after 10 minutes that our system and tactics were not working and for some reason we persevered with 5 at the back for the entire first half. Such was the scale of the problem and general ineptitude an experienced manager would have radically changed things much sooner.Airdrie completely dominated at that point. Players can’t keep serving up this dross week after week at home. Most of us have rarely seen us win at home for several seasons now and despite dropping down a league there is no light at end of tunnel. Several weekly starters are miles off the pace and if we keep playing them the suffering will continue.

22 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Just wait until Falkirk come, they’re fucking huge.

The same club that fans ran on to our park to celebrate a 90th minute goal only for us to score with the next kick of the game which ended up relegating them, how could I forget about Falkirk?!

Just wait until Falkirk come, they’re fucking huge.
Last time they came to Palmerston they invaded the pitch when they scored, which then added time on and Dobbie eqaulised from the spot. Helped put them down here in league 2 and spread the "navy blue pound around ". You should be thankful.

Last time they came to Palmerston they invaded the pitch when they scored, which then added time on and Dobbie eqaulised from the spot. Helped put them down here in league 2 and spread the "navy blue pound around ". You should be thankful.

We're not in League 2, bud.

Yet...

30 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Players can’t keep serving up this dross week after week at home. Most of us have rarely seen us win at home for several seasons now and despite dropping down a league there is no light at end of tunnel. 

This is the issue now.

There must have been fewer than 1,000 Queens fans in attendance today.  I keep having to add that it's still obviously early, but it is a concern to see that we've dropped a tier, but look no comfier than we did beforehand.

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

it was obvious today after 10 minutes that our system and tactics were not working and for some reason we persevered with 5 at the back for the entire first half. Such was the scale of the problem and general ineptitude an experienced manager would have radically changed things much sooner.

This is where I would be expecting Grant Murray to be helping Wullie out.  It should have dawned on one or other of the management team that the back 5 wasn't working well before Airdrie scored, and if it takes them that long to spot issues then we're looking at a difficult season.  Same in the Clyde game where our only answer to being pressed was to resort to the long ball game.

I'm also wondering how, after seven games, Ciaran McKenna is one of only three players to have played every minute of every match.  It's understandable that Currie, despite his flaws, has done so purely down to the fact that in general keepers don't get subbed unless they are injured and our back up options are extremely inexperienced, and the third player not to have missed a minute (Paton) has arguably been our best player this season.  McKenna, however, has been for me one of the consistently poorest performers yet seems to be undroppable / unsubbable (is that a word?).  We signed a left back yesterday, but for me it's the right back position that is a real worry... and yet we may already have the answer sitting on our own bench. 

Edited by Slipmat

Was the wall set correct for the free kick that resulted in the goal? Also as bad as the palm out by Currie was a bit disappointed no Queens player reacted either to the spill
I'd like to see the foul again tbh. He was probably fouled but it did look like he scuffed the ground trying to take the shot.

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

You’d think having an experienced assistant in Grant Murray would help with that too and possibly even part of the reason Gibson appointed him. It’s certainly a lot more experience than us having Hutton and Prunty in charge there. On that note, I thought McCabe taking himself off and watching from the side at a time when Queens were in control was interesting. It’s a shame we don’t have any other experienced midfielders to replace him in that situation but at least he’s aware that sometimes a bit of direction from the side might be needed too.

3 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Was some away support today to be fair, best I’ve seen in a bit come to Palmerston.

Yeah I thought it was an excellent turnout, especially with no bus running and I don’t think any trains running either. 

An enjoyable day out, nice to get back to Palmerston after what feels like a long time, a really good ground even if it is covered in seagull shit. As others have said, Airdrie were much the better team in the first half but even then we didn’t actually create too much and Queens had several chances to score too, albeit mainly down to our very slack defending. 

McKechnie changed the game when he came on, I’m not sure how much of that was his directness and willingness to run at players or the change in shape overall but he looked very impressive. We never really got going at all after that and the goal was coming for a while. I was quite relieved to escape with a draw at the end but it was probably fair overall. 

I thought Queens subs had a much bigger effect on the game than ours. Todd and McKechnie both improved Queens massively compared to the passiveness from them before, whereas our lack of numbers led to us having fewer options and even then, we made them too late for any real change. Gallagher wasn’t really in the game but Smith and Jamieson, the latter in particular, looked done for ages and bringing them off for McGill or Wylie seemed more sensible to me. Fair play to all the players though, they put in a real shift today in that heat. 

Other Airdrie fans might agree but I thought Queens in the first half were a bit like us at the start of last season. A 3-5-2 which is essentially a 5-3-2 as you’re playing with two wing backs who don’t offer much going forward and lacking any clear style of play. They looked a lot better in the second half and if they play like that I’m sure they’ll make the top four, especially if Wilson and Reilly can stay fit.