Queens v Airdrie

Just what we need to play the form team at Palmerston .

Our home record is very poor we play anything like we did against Clyde it will be the same result .

We will again be missing Connelly and McGory but hopefully everyone else is fit .

Despite the good result on Saturday Rhys McCabe rightly pointed out in his post match that there were spells in the first half where we weren't doing things as well as we could. Hopefully we get a really consistent 90 minutes on Saturday as I actually think it will be a tougher game than Falkirk at the moment.

The most pleasing thing is that there are multiple options of where goals might come from and a couple of genuine attacking options to change the game from the bench if need be. We just need to wrap our defence in bubble wrap to make sure they are all available come Saturday.

I'm cautiously optimistic. 

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

Just what we need to play the form team at Palmerston .

Our home record is very poor we play anything like we did against Clyde it will be the same result .

We will again be missing Connelly and McGory but hopefully everyone else is fit .

I've put a couple of your posts down to typos but you keep on doing it, it's McGrory, 

As for the game, we usually manage to lift ourselves for games against better sides in the division, let's hope that this is one of those occasions. The players need to get the negative vibe about the our playing surface out of their heads, it's the same for both teams anyway. A few ex-Queens players in the Airdrie squad which adds a bit of edge. Hopefully Wilson, Reilly and Todd feature for Queens. Hopefully Hutton in the away goals would be a bonus. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

10 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Easy route is to target Rico as we all know how rotten he is and shoot from anywhere cause Currie is rotten aswell 

Essentially the same tactics as used by U12s managers across the land. Attack the weak full back. Pump in high balls, shoot for the top corners 😂

Easy route is to target Rico as we all know how rotten he is and shoot from anywhere cause Currie is rotten aswell 
I'll be surprised if Quitongo plays given he was out on Saturday and we kept a clean sheet. The one thing almost everyone said about Currie was that despite his flaws he's a good shot stopper. Other than that, great input.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
20 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

I'll be surprised if Quitongo plays given he was out on Saturday and we kept a clean sheet. The one thing almost everyone said about Currie was that despite his flaws he's a good shot stopper. Other than that, great input.

Quitongo played the whole 90 mins on Saturday. Other than that, great input. 😉

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I've put a couple of your posts down to typos but you keep on doing it, it's McGrory, 

As for the game, we usually manage to lift ourselves for games against better sides in the division, let's hope that this is one of those occasions. The players need to get the negative vibe about the our playing surface out of their heads, it's the same for both teams anyway. A few ex-Queens players in the Airdrie squad which adds a bit of edge. Hopefully Wilson, Reilly and Todd feature for Queens. Hopefully Hutton in the away goals would be a bonus. 

And a couple ex Airdrie players in your team so even more spice to it. Paul McKay at CB used to worry me, so be interesting to see how he does against our front line. How's his long throws? Do you deploy them? Hardly worked for us, which makes it very likely that it'll work against us, sods law style. 

Should be a good game and Airdrie playing with nothing to fear, which I like. 

Cracking weather too, mid 20 degrees forecast on Saturday so that'll play a factor too I imagine. 

11 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

And a couple ex Airdrie players in your team so even more spice to it. Paul McKay at CB used to worry me, so be interesting to see how he does against our front line. How's his long throws? Do you deploy them? Hardly worked for us, which makes it very likely that it'll work against us, sods law style. 

Should be a good game and Airdrie playing with nothing to fear, which I like. 

Cracking weather too, mid 20 degrees forecast on Saturday so that'll play a factor too I imagine. 

P. McKay hasn't actually been on throw in duties so far this season, not taken one as far as I recall. Pre-injury last season he was a regular at it, not that we benefitted much from them. Maybe his injury has hampered him. He ws actually quite steady defensively last season, probably missed him quite a bit while he was out. If it's sunny in Saturday I advise people to wear sunglasses cos the glare off our plastic carpet can damage your eyes. 

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Josh Rae - a very good keeper for this level.  Timewasting antics and the onfield dispute with Wullie G at the end of last season make me think he may be a bit of a tit though.  Would still have him back in a heartbeat.

David Hutton - before we came down to this forum I honestly thought he'd retired.  Aside from the cup final clanger which he will always be remembered for first and foremost he was far from the worst keeper we've had this century.

Rhys McCabe - his totally ineffective long throws were the only thing that reminded you he was on the pitch and saved him from being a completely empty shirt.

Callum Fordyce - he's only 30?!  He was pretty solid for us but very injury prone.  Good player.

Adam Frizzell - a forgettable loan signing who I expected to be an exciting player but was absolutely bobbins.  I have absolutely no idea how he got 50 odd games for Killie in the top flight.  Maybe he's improved since dropping a league or two.

Salim Kouider-Aissa - I don't think he got near our first team squad?  Saw him play for Queen's Park a couple of times and he didn't impress.  Must have something about him given that he's played in the top flight, albeit briefly.

Regarding the ex 'onians in our squad, McKay was arguably our second best defender last season prior to injury, goes about his business quietly but is prone to the odd f**k-up (though not as many as certain others since departed), Quitongo has been surprisingly better than I thought he would be apart from in the Clyde shambles, and the jury's still out on Currie (that's me being kind, put it this way, he isn't, um, the greatest keeper we've ever signed... read into that what you will 😉)

6 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

As for the game, we usually manage to lift ourselves for games against better sides in the division, 

Do we?

Our record against the sides round us was actually decent enough last season.

We got very little from the stronger ones though.

3 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Josh Rae - a very good keeper for this level.  Timewasting antics and the onfield dispute with Wullie G at the end of last season make me think he may be a bit of a tit though.  Would still have him back in a heartbeat.

David Hutton - before we came down to this forum I honestly thought he'd retired.  Aside from the cup final clanger which he will always be remembered for first and foremost he was far from the worst keeper we've had this century.

Rhys McCabe - his totally ineffective long throws were the only thing that reminded you he was on the pitch and saved him from being a completely empty shirt.

Callum Fordyce - he's only 30?!  He was pretty solid for us but very injury prone.  Good player.

Adam Frizzell - a forgettable loan signing who I expected to be an exciting player but was absolutely bobbins.  I have absolutely no idea how he got 50 odd games for Killie in the top flight.  Maybe he's improved since dropping a league or two.

Salim Kouider-Aissa - I don't think he got near our first team squad?  Saw him play for Queen's Park a couple of times and he didn't impress.  Must have something about him given that he's played in the top flight, albeit briefly.

Regarding the ex 'onians in our squad, McKay was arguably our second best defender last season prior to injury, goes about his business quietly but is prone to the odd f**k-up (though not as many as certain others since departed), Quitongo has been surprisingly better than I thought he would be apart from in the Clyde shambles, and the jury's still out on Currie (that's me being kind, put it this way, he isn't, um, the greatest keeper we've ever signed... read into that what you will 😉)

Interesting about Josh Rae saw the lad in his 2 games this season, and am not fully convinced at all,   The young loaner from Hibs Murray Johnson looks a far more comfortable and confident keeper than Rae..

No doubt this will split opinion amongst our support.

3 hours ago, Slipmat said:

It's strange how these things work. McCabe strolled it for us at centre back last season, a real leader on the park and has looked excellent again in a more familiar holding midfield role this season. Fordyce has missed three games in as many seasons, I think two of which were with covid, and has been the most reliable man in this league since he joined. I was unconvinced by Frizzell when he signed but he's arguably the best attacking midfielder in the league. 

You'll get mixed reviews on Queens ex-Airdrie contingent, Paul McKay especially, but I quite liked him. I always thought he was better in midfield, he's not the best technically but he was surprisingly decent at making runs into the final third and to be fair he never got a regular run at centre back until the end of his last season when he played on the right of a back three.

8 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Interesting about Josh Rae saw the lad in his 2 games this season, and am not fully convinced at all,   The young loaner from Hibs Murray Johnson looks a far more comfortable and confident keeper than Rae..

Hard to say with such a small sample size but Johnson looks the part. He will go far in the game

I'm sure you'll like him in time. It's still early days of course. Though some of our fans have written off Currie already it seems. Mental this early IMO.

It's strange how these things work. McCabe strolled it for us at centre back last season, a real leader on the park and has looked excellent again in a more familiar holding midfield role this season. Fordyce has missed three games in as many seasons, I think two of which were with covid, and has been the most reliable man in this league since he joined. I was unconvinced by Frizzell when he signed but he's arguably the best attacking midfielder in the league. 
You'll get mixed reviews on Queens ex-Airdrie contingent, Paul McKay especially, but I quite liked him. I always thought he was better in midfield, he's not the best technically but he was surprisingly decent at making runs into the final third and to be fair he never got a regular run at centre back until the end of his last season when he played on the right of a back three.

I haven't saw Frizzell in years so can't really argue your point. When he was with us he was pretty shit though and it doesn't surprise me he's spent the majority of his career further down the leagues. Fordyce was generally excellent for us but his last season it looked like the pace of the division was getting too much for him. It doesn't surprise me he's done well down here though. McCabe was fine for us and nothing more. You could see he had ability and was comfortable on the ball but too often he'd be completely anonymous in the middle. He's not been the last CM of ours to have that trait though sadly.

I liked McKay last season but he's not looked as good so far. But then neither has our defence in general yet so hopefully he'll get back to his form when (if) the defence gel.

I haven't saw Frizzell in years so can't really argue your point. When he was with us he was pretty shit though and it doesn't surprise me he's spent the majority of his career further down the leagues. Fordyce was generally excellent for us but his last season it looked like the pace of the division was getting too much for him. It doesn't surprise me he's done well down here though. McCabe was fine for us and nothing more. You could see he had ability and was comfortable on the ball but too often he'd be completely anonymous in the middle. He's not been the last CM of ours to have that trait though sadly.

I liked McKay last season but he's not looked as good so far. But then neither has our defence in general yet so hopefully he'll get back to his form when (if) the defence gel.
Did McCabe play further forward in midfield when he was at Queens or a defensive mid? I could imagine him being pretty anonymous further forward but when he plays as a deep lying midfielder for us he's the one the dictates and controls the game.