Dumbarton vs Annan Athletic

Hard to tell how we will end up, as the two home games have been games we've been a goal or two up in the opening minutes. Big John looked ok when on, if he's only going to play the last quarter of a game, could be a waste, or could be a genius decision by Farrell. Time will tell, but today was a good day..Mon the Sons 

Brilliant result and performance.

SF seems to have ditched the odd lineups and playing folk out of position.I just hope he keeps it simple and doesnt get carried away thinking he is Guardiola.We have a good squad of players and that is kudos to SF.I reckon another LB as cover and another striker.If JG doesnt stretch the budget too much  it might be worth giving him a deal.

Hoping and Praying we maintain this level.

Most enjoyable day. Credit to club for reduced price hospitality which was first class.

couldn’t believe we were 2 up as Annan were better in first half but in end we deserved it. 
gray was mom but joe McKee had best game in a long while for me and I thought our experience at the back also showed . 
work in progress but a happy one x

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

When did we last score 4 goals in a league match? 

I am aware its probably not that long ago but us handing out pumpings isn't something that happens very often. And with the turgid pish we have endured the last few years its a welcome change 

We beat East Fife 5-0 in September last season.

Or maybe not.......
Just goes to show how things said on the Internet or in person won't jinx things or make the slightest difference to the outcome of a football match.

Having said that, I'm about to start the match thread for next week (if it hasn't yet been done) as I've been a lucky charm starting them so far.

58 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Gray and Byrne look like cracking signings.

I was pretty sceptical privately about Byrne's signing and had no thoughts one way or another about Gray as I'd never heard of him. Clearly, I don't know anything about football.

That was an absolutely tremendous performance. When we pumped East Fife last season a large part of it was because they were absolutely bobbins. But Annan weren't. They looked a relatively competent outfit all over the park and didn't chuck the towel in. We were just better in absolutely every position; they couldn't break us down and they couldn't deal with our pace, sharpness and fitness on the break.

Games are won and lost in the midfield. And our midfield today absolutely bossed things. Finlay Gray was sensational - his goal was a wonderful move and his engine is unbelievable. How he still had the energy to drive the long way round Tony Wallace and win a free-kick as the game neared injury time is beyond me.

Alongside him Joe McKee put in lovely performance. Stroking the ball about, bursting forward, playing some gorgeous passes and - of course - the touch and then cross for the third goal. I remember him saying that he plays his best with a smile on his face, and that was evident today. It's fantastic to see him turning in performances more akin to those he produced under Jim Duffy. When he's on form there will not be a better midfielder than him in the division.

Key to letting Gray and McKee play though was Ryan Blair. He's been a really nice surprise for me. If you look at how many of our goals start with him intercepting the ball or just playing a simple pass it goes to highlight how important a player he is. His short passing is superb, his vision is good, his long passing is good and he reads the game well. The only issue is that he seems to hit a wall after about 75 minutes and his passing becomes a bit more erratic. But I've liked almost everything I've seen from him in a Sons' shirt so far.

Defensively we've no put together a run of conceding one goal in our last five games. Which is superb. We look hard to break down; we have two full-backs who are no-nonsense, which is working well, Gregor Buchanan looks a million times better than last season. And Stuart Carswell is definitely now a centre-half. We wouldn't have recorded any of those clean sheets without our goalkeepers though - and Brett Long was at it again today. He wasn't busy. But he made some outstanding (and vital) saves at key moments. Although I did think he might've clawed back Annan's first-half chance from behind the line...

Regardless, we're very lucky to have him. Especially on a two-year contract. 

I'll finish on two subjects; our sports scientist and big John Gemmell. 

Gemmell looks in superb shape and clearly showed what he was about when he came on. After Declan Byrne had been hooked and Kalvin Orsi moved up top we struggled for an outball. Byrne's two goals were really good striker's finishes, and he defends well from the front. 

As soon as Gemmell came on that changed. Suddenly we had someone who knew how to hold play up and the Annan defence looked terrified. 

Gemmell looked sharp and he's in fantastic shape. And I'm going to put a large part of that down to the sports scientist. All over the park we looked incredibly fit; Finlay Gray, Joe McKee, Aron Lynas especially. Faz clearly wants us playing a certain style - and it requires huge amounts of fitness. I genuinely reckon that (and I don't think Faz would disagree with me) we wouldn't have anything like nine points so far without the impact of sports scientist. 

Who knows if today is a sign of things to come. Or if we're just starting the season well. But what I will say is I'm absolutely loving it. There was a great buzz around the place all day too.

5 hours ago, Sons Fan said:

Gotta Love Ally Love giving it the big licks to the Annan fan when he came off. 😂

Ally Love not flavour of the month at Annan for alleged racist remarks against Rabin Omar!

if you think that’s worth gotta love him then good luck to you!

4 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

I was pretty sceptical privately about Byrne's signing and had no thoughts one way or another about Gray as I'd never heard of him. Clearly, I don't know anything about football.

I think the lesson to be learned is that no one knows anything about anything. Not me, not you, not Stevie Farrell.

5 hours ago, Solway Star said:

Ally Love not flavour of the month at Annan for alleged racist remarks against Rabin Omar!

So Annan is where Omar went.  He showed nothing at Stirling, other than a tendency to be poison in the dressing room and aggressive with the manager if left out.  I don't envy you that signing one bit.

5 hours ago, Solway Star said:

He's just a little p***k pretending to be a football player - no marbles.

A total idiot undeserving of any credit as a human being..

Look forward to his return to Annan after his GIRFU show after he was substituted. 

10 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Although I did think he might've clawed back Annan's first-half chance from behind the line...

My seat is roughly in line with the penalty spot at that end and have to say I thought it crossed the line at the time and could well understand the number 8s frustration.