Ayr vs Accies

41 minutes ago, Moysterclass said:

As annoying as this has been for Accies, I think we should try to see the positive side. If you said pre season we'd be unbeaten in these 3 opening games, I'd have bitten your head off.  It's the fact we probably should've won any 2 of those 3 that grates. Still, I'm far less pessimistic now than I was going into the season for us.

I’m sure everyone is relieved that they didn’t say Accies would be unbeaten in their three opening games. It would have been incredibly harsh to have your head bitten off for a correct and positive prediction. 

34 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye today only really enforced what all know. We need a striker and another option in midfield be it a number 10 or a wide player with a bit more guile and creativity. I thought we started really well and until Accies scored we were strolling through the gaps in midfield at will. Can’t take anything away from Winters strike but it’s almost a carbon copy of last week. Need to challenge for the ball earlier in the build up and the goal probably doesn’t happen.

For two weeks in a row Bullen’s subs have turned the game in our favour. We were getting battered down the right hand side and had nothing in midfield. Houston and Smith coming on turned it a bit and gave us more of a foothold in midfield. Murdochs strike is a cracker and although he probably won’t score another one like it, it got us the point we deserved.

As good as Akinyemi is, he really needs to score that penalty and it’s a totally different game. He did well though with his positioning for the opener though and I thought he was unlucky with the one that was chalked off. He looked on to me but it was very tight.

You’re at it right? As soon as we changed formation, we offered nothing. Went 2-1 down and changed back to 442 with Dempsey playing right mid. The subs should have been JML for Ashford (who once again offered the square root of f**k all) and Bryden or Moffat for McKenzie. 

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

You’re at it right? As soon as we changed formation, we offered nothing. Went 2-1 down and changed back to 442 with Dempsey playing right mid. The subs should have been JML for Ashford (who once again offered the square root of f**k all) and Bryden or Moffat for McKenzie. 

I think that’s a little harsh on Ashford, was really unlucky not to score with that header in the second half (great save from the accies keeper). He also works and works off the hall constantly closing players down. 

Edited by ecocme

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

We didn’t offer anything all second half, I don’t think changing formation had anything to do with it. We lost control in the middle at times so didn’t have a problem with playing three in there. Pushing McKenzie wide was baffling, when it should just have been JML but he rectified that shortly after. 

Ashford was decent enough, I wouldn’t say he offered f**k all. 

Ashford was absolutely fine. His final ball can be woeful but he’s good at winning the ball and breaking up the field. I’d say he’s made that position his own for now as we won’t get another wide player with his work rate.

Very open game, which pretty much had everything, was a good watch, even if the quality wasn't always there.

It was a funny performance from our side, as I thought about half the players had good games, and the other half had absolute stinkers. 

On the good side I thought Winter, Martin and Shiels were excellent, ran themselves into ground, and winter showed that he has quality and could turn into a really good finisher. Also want to mention Fulton, think he's been decent so far and looking more like a proper number 1.

On the bad side, it's really sad to see how far Lewis Smith has regressed, looked absolutely lost and scared of the ball. 

Couldn't believe the penalty decision, will need to see it again, but to me it looked like a great challenge, even the Ayr players weren't protesting and just wanted to get on with it. Definitely looks like 2 awful penalty decisions against us in the space of 14 days, least justice was done this time around.

Overall the draw was a fair result, Ayr love a cracker of goal against us.

Very open game, which pretty much had everything, was a good watch, even if the quality wasn't always there.
It was a funny performance from our side, as I thought about half the players had good games, and the other half had absolute stinkers. 
On the good side I thought Winter, Martin and Shiels were excellent, ran themselves into ground, and winter showed that he has quality and could turn into a really good finisher. Also want to mention Fulton, think he's been decent so far and looking more like a proper number 1.
On the bad side, it's really sad to see how far Lewis Smith has regressed, looked absolutely lost and scared of the ball. 
Couldn't believe the penalty decision, will need to see it again, but to me it looked like a great challenge, even the Ayr players weren't protesting and just wanted to get on with it. Definitely looks like 2 awful penalty decisions against us in the space of 14 days, least justice was done this time around.
Overall the draw was a fair result, Ayr love a cracker of goal against us.

The penalty we got didn’t look like a penalty, granted. However there was an earlier challenge on Sam Ashford that I thought was an absolute stonewaller and the ref ignored it. I’m also convinced our chalked off goal should’ve stood but I wasn’t really watching Dipo when Murdoch hit the ball.

I was bang in line with that offside call and it was very, very tight. It looked to me in the first half that Daire had a shot blocked for a corner but the ref gave a goal kick - Ayr players seemed convinced anyway. What did everybody else see with that? 

The ref had a pretty hopeless game, didn't give a corner when the accies defender blocked the shot clearly behind for the whole ground to see but gave a goal kick and then about 60 seconds later gave a penalty to us which folk in the North Terracing were asking themselves "what's that been given for"

57 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

I was bang in line with that offside call and it was very, very tight. It looked to me in the first half that Daire had a shot blocked for a corner but the ref gave a goal kick - Ayr players seemed convinced anyway. What did everybody else see with that? 

That was a strange one. I thought it was an Ayr corner, but other fans around me said it had came back off the Ayr player, which I assume is what Doyle saw, as he shielded it out of play, rather than clearing it up field.

On the subs, I don't think the first one helped. We could barely get out of our own half and Bullen brought Smith on for O'Connor to pack the midfield (451). We still couldn't get a foot on the ball and when we cleared our lines Dipo would be marooned. There was one point Dipo picked up the ball and had to wait a good 10 seconds for any support. Bullen then made the double sub five minutes later and went back to 442. We were still abject. That spell from about 50 mins to Hamilton scoring I thought was as bad as I've seen us this season. Fortunately, the goal for Hamilton seemed to resurrect us.

I thought Murdoch did really well second half. He drove forward and had three long shots (one for the Dipo chance that was offside, one that won a corner and the equalising volley). Hopefully once we have the Ghost, Murdoch can play a more advanced role as he did it very well second half.

We definitely need two additions. A forward to partner Dipo and a creative midfield maestro.

Thought we played some good stuff during the game at times but other times defensive frailties crept back in.

Thought Dipo had a good game despite his penalty miss and the one on one chance he couldn't seem to get his feet to. He was causing all sorts of issues with his strength and hold up play. Murdoch had an excellent game I felt and his goal was an absolute screamer. Albinson couldn't have done much more for either goal.

Hamilton looked defensively shaky, but their first goal was excellently taken, once again Ayr letting someone get too much time for a shot in that area of the pitch. Hamiltons 2nd I felt came from a period where they were on top, we just couldn't seem to get out of our half.

Referee had a stinker, misses a blatant corner for us to give a Hamilton goal kick then gives a penalty that looked like a decent tackle from where I was standing on the North terrace.

Edited by Oceanlineayr

18 hours ago, ecocme said:

I think that’s a little harsh on Ashford, was really unlucky not to score with that header in the second half (great save from the accies keeper). He also works and works off the hall constantly closing players down. 

Ashford puts in a great shift, but as an attacking threat he has been totally ineffective all season.  Will probably be a good option away from home against tougher opposition, but we really need more threat coming from the wide areas.