August 8th 1980.

10 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

McGhee, Stark, Baines, Ritchie, Rough, MacDonald, Conn, Hewitt and ?

MacDonald?

Whittaker, and mcAlpine played a game for us.

I’m sure Gibson of thistle was at Celtic too. 

Edited by Drew Brees

27 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

MacDonald?

mcAlpine played a game for us and I’m sure Gibson of thistle was at Celtic too. 

I had taken the Macdonald of Hearts to be Roddie, but I've checked - he was still at Celtic and his move to Tynecastle was a year away. Came to Morton in 1987 and was hopeless.

Edit - if it's Ian Gibson of Thistle - he was never at Celtic. Went to Dundee United and had a loan spell with Morton, scoring his only goal for us against St. Mirren. Can't find any record of McAlpine playing for Celtic.

Edited by AyrshireTon

33 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

I had taken the Macdonald of Hearts to be Roddie, but I've checked - he was still at Celtic and his move to Tynecastle was a year away. Came to Morton in 1987 and was hopeless.

Edit - if it's Ian Gibson of Thistle - he was never at Celtic. Went to Dundee United and had a loan spell with Morton, scoring his only goal for us against St. Mirren. Can't find any record of McAlpine playing for Celtic.

Thought it was Johnny Gibson of thistle. 

McAlpine played in a pre season tour when Celtic had a goalkeeping crisis in 1988. 

9 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Thought it was Johnny Gibson of thistle. 

McAlpine played in a pre season tour when Celtic had a goalkeeping crisis in 1988. 

Johnny was early 70s at Thistle. Stunned at the McAlpine one - he would have been 44! 

11 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Johnny was early 70s at Thistle. Stunned at the McAlpine one - he would have been 44! 

Still young for a keeper. 😊

was the Nicol that scored for Ayr Steve? 

edit - just noticed it’s a different spelling plus he left for Liverpool in 79  

Edited by Drew Brees

41 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Photos from the Celtic v Morton game that day.

1614717538_1980.8.9Celtic2-1Morton(2).thumb.jpg.9cfd511e6d8545cc678d05118461100b.jpg

297509357_1980.8.9Celtic2-1Morton(3).thumb.jpg.f5cfd931e3ffb281a03cebfa61119d20.jpg

962343501_1980.8.9Celtic2-1Morton(4).thumb.jpg.9b08d3145510840116c95e78e01cdcab.jpg

I know it’s a very difficult to tell from those pics buts it looks a decent crowd, when the attendance was low a CP the front of the main stand was pretty much empty as was the Celtic end. May I be the 1st to call shenanigans on the old board. 

21 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Attendance figures from the paper for games of this era are to be treated with extreme caution.

Often they were just estimates dreamed up by whoever was covering the game.

Yeah. They look very 'exact'. 

On 07/08/2022 at 15:05, Dirty Sanchez said:

I can remember when Ibrox would be more than half empty for most games, with modest away supports being given the whole of the Broomloan Rear stand, and stuff like that, because there were no home fans to fill the seats anyway.

Remember going to Ibrox with my Saints fan buddy and his old man in the early 80s. IIRC the Broomloan stand was closed entirely. We were sitting in the Govan stand. Definitely a sub 10k crowd.

On 08/08/2022 at 13:34, Bogbrush1903 said:

I briefly worked with Killie's first goalscorer and ex-Aberdeen man, Bobby Street who must've returned to the Granite City after his playing career ended.

Right on cue Bobby Street was featured on the Golden Years page in yesterday's Sunday Post.

It says he left Killie in 1981 to take up a job in O&G while playing part time in the Highland League. He's still living in Aberdeen aged 68.

On 08/08/2022 at 05:27, kennie makevin said:

As it's a given that Celtic/Rangers fans are the top two when it comes to glory hunters who might the least glory hunting fanbase be ? 

I'm not saying it's Hearts but we've nearly as many STs sold now as we did fans in our best season in living memory (16,198 according to Wikipedia crowd w**k fans)

As a large part of the discussion on this thread concerns attendances, here are the 'official' averages for season 1980-81, from David Ross' The Roar of the Crowd, published in 2005. Also listed are those from the next two seasons.

336292568_80-81averageattendances.thumb.JPG.4db7c28f40d931ce56a6c8314387ee4b.JPG

These are official as the figures are taken 'as issued by the Scottish League': exceptions are made where clubs themselves have published differing averages.

Nonetheless, as the clubs had to inform the Scottish League of their recorded attendances, it's puzzling that differences exist. Perhaps it comes down to poor arithmetic, or imaginative accounting.

46 minutes ago, Rugbypark said:

Killie only have ten players in that team. 

You astound me, Holmes!

Looks like it wasn't an eccentric formation choice by Davie Sneddon; they just missed out Bobby Houston. His maw will have been fizzing: https://www.arabarchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=1139

What paper's that clipping from anyway?

7 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

As a large part of the discussion on this thread concerns attendances, here are the 'official' averages for season 1980-81, from David Ross' The Roar of the Crowd, published in 2005. Also listed are those from the next two seasons.

336292568_80-81averageattendances.thumb.JPG.4db7c28f40d931ce56a6c8314387ee4b.JPG

These are official as the figures are taken 'as issued by the Scottish League': exceptions are made where clubs themselves have published differing averages.

Nonetheless, as the clubs had to inform the Scottish League of their recorded attendances, it's puzzling that differences exist. Perhaps it comes down to poor arithmetic, or imaginative accounting.

Interesting to see which clubs' attendances have gone up/down. Obviously you have to take into account who they were playing, but we seem to be in about the same place.

For the auld(er) yins - what was the chat regarding attendances at this time? Were folk bemoaning the number of people showing up back in 1980?

53 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Interesting to see which clubs' attendances have gone up/down. Obviously you have to take into account who they were playing, but we seem to be in about the same place.

For the auld(er) yins - what was the chat regarding attendances at this time? Were folk bemoaning the number of people showing up back in 1980?

The attendances at the end of the 'seventies were receding. The restructuring for 75-76 hadn't brought about increased crowds, apart from in the novel first season, and generally the "all clubs overall average" fell away until a revival in the late 'eighties.

Nonetheless, the reasons for the poor crowds were probably more societal rather than football based, although football hooliganism, which was favoured media content at that time, possibly had an effect. 

Just as now, the late 'seventies and early 'eighties were periods of recession: at the start of Thatcher's reign in mid 1979, the UK had 1.1 million unemployed, but by 1986 it had shot up to 3 million. The worst season for overall attendances since the end of World War One was 1981-82, and many supporters had more pressing needs for diminishing funds than attending football matches.

In simple terms, blame the folk who voted the Tories in in 1979 (although it's obviously a wee bit more complex than this, James Callaghan was not a friend of the working class). Thatcher's party actually won 22 seats in Scotland, an impossibility in this day.

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

Motherwell beat Coventry City 2-1 in a friendly three days before losing 0-5 to Ayr.

Their first five competitive games were 0-5, 3-0, 2-4, 0-2 and then 6-1.  A very entertaining team, unlike these days.  Except when they are playing like Ajax '72 at Pittodrie.

On 08/08/2022 at 18:42, AyrshireTon said:

I can't see MacDonald being resolved on this thread but it will be Alex MacDonald who had just became player manager of Hearts in the summer of 1980 from Deadco.

On 09/08/2022 at 10:10, AyrshireTon said:

Photos from the Celtic v Morton game that day.

1614717538_1980.8.9Celtic2-1Morton(2).thumb.jpg.9cfd511e6d8545cc678d05118461100b.jpg

297509357_1980.8.9Celtic2-1Morton(3).thumb.jpg.f5cfd931e3ffb281a03cebfa61119d20.jpg

962343501_1980.8.9Celtic2-1Morton(4).thumb.jpg.9b08d3145510840116c95e78e01cdcab.jpg

Home team in the change kit.

It must have been around this time (certainly within a year or two) that that stopped being the norm.

Does anyone on here know, was there an official stipulation about this, or did the switch just kind of happen?