I didn't see any evidence of your team even attempting to play that way from ko today vt. It was route one from the off. We're very much in transition at the moment and being honest I don't think the stats will tell the story of the game very well, I admittedly haven't looked at them though. The persistent fouling for example resulted in few cards for morton today. Quitongo should have been booked alot earlier than he was for that alone. We're far from a good team at the moment but I would have been very disappointed if we didn't take all 3 points today.

While we're talking about styles and approaches, I thought the Rovers were noticably more direct today. Not that they reverted to just aimless long balls, but the ball was moving quicker. First half especially it didn't come to anything, but there was much less of the pointless passes into a backwards facing midfielder. Easton dropping in definitely helped in that regard, and it freed up Sam Stanton a little more. 

There was a piece in the Courier that suggested something like (and I'm paraphrasing, so apologies for any misrepresentation) "Keeping the ball isn't a problem for the Rovers, because Nolan, Brown and O'Riordan are at the top of the league for passes and passing accuracy" and while those stats are obviously correct, it's the three guys who've played centre half for us knocking the ball to one other. 

Spencer will make the biggest difference to that dynamic because he excels at taking the ball from the defence, but the key now is going to be moving it out of the midfield and into the forward(s). McGlynn built the first half of last season on goals from everyone except his striker, but I don't fancy watching that play out again. 

I don't think Murray will change the personnel going to Hamilton next week after today's result, but I wonder if he'll fiddle with the approach. Personally, I'd be inclined to take Ethan Ross off the left and give him a free role to roam about wherever he likes, with Gullan on strict instructions to stay within the width of the box. 

9 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

While we're talking about styles and approaches, I thought the Rovers were noticably more direct today. Not that they reverted to just aimless long balls, but the ball was moving quicker. First half especially it didn't come to anything, but there was much less of the pointless passes into a backwards facing midfielder. Easton dropping in definitely helped in that regard, and it freed up Sam Stanton a little more. 

There was a piece in the Courier that suggested something like (and I'm paraphrasing, so apologies for any misrepresentation) "Keeping the ball isn't a problem for the Rovers, because Nolan, Brown and O'Riordan are at the top of the league for passes and passing accuracy" and while those stats are obviously correct, it's the three guys who've played centre half for us knocking the ball to one other. 

Spencer will make the biggest difference to that dynamic because he excels at taking the ball from the defence, but the key now is going to be moving it out of the midfield and into the forward(s). McGlynn built the first half of last season on goals from everyone except his striker, but I don't fancy watching that play out again. 

I don't think Murray will change the personnel going to Hamilton next week after today's result, but I wonder if he'll fiddle with the approach. Personally, I'd be inclined to take Ethan Ross off the left and give him a free role to roam about wherever he likes, with Gullan on strict instructions to stay within the width of the box. 

I think it’s quite refreshing to see us mix it up sometimes. Our downfall last year, especially away from home, was hoping that our ability to pass teams to death would be enough to get the job done, and as we saw time and again, it patently wasn’t. I’d like us to be a bit nastier, truth be told, but if we are going to go more direct when it suits, it’ll ultimately win us more points. 

Gullan is wasted in that area in all honesty atm. It just isn't his game. Connel doesn't look like he will offer us much from the limited time iv seen him play. I actually thought Mitchell would have been the better sub to make today.
I'd be happy with Ross having that free role again as that's where he done alot of damage last season. I can't see it happening though. I seen us as more of a flat 5 in midfield today with the wingers playing the more advanced roles to support gullan rather than a 4231. The cms pressed when attacking more second half with one (usually brown) holding. It worked pretty well and forced morton in to areas they didn't want to defend. We still played alot of balls in to the channel today which really has me looking at the way Murray wants to play as a mix of the two mcglynn spells. He wants a high press, channel balls while playing in little triangles/boxes. Very effective if we can get it to click. We're definitely not playing as many passes into the cms from defence this season and having it go back to the cbs for a long ball though so at least some of the moaners in the ss will be happy.

I thought that was an excellent win today. Until we went 2 up Morton were only there to try for a draw whilst trying to kick our players about. The first half was awful and I think it was partly down to Morton (and the ref) constantly breaking up the game meaning there was no flow.

Once we scored the first there appeared to be a relief and that meant we were able to get the 2nd. Some stupid and naive play for them to get the free kick for the equaliser but to hold out and get the win showed guts for what is a pretty young team.

That result will stand us well this season. Looking at the performance two weeks ago to that today was night and day and I think we will only get better.

I also loved Murray at the end showing the emotion. It's been a tough few weeks so delighted for him that the hard work paid off.

6 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

I also loved Murray at the end showing the emotion. It's been a tough few weeks so delighted for him that the hard work paid off.

The cringey Jurgen Klopp style stuff you mean? He must've been inspired by Gary Bowyer last week. 

Just now, Ro Sham Bo said:

The cringey Jurgen Klopp style stuff you mean? He must've been inspired by Gary Bowyer last week. 

Gary Bowyer last night showed what a manger is last night with with the goalmouth tribute to the departed Pat Liney.

How do you block someone on here? I’ve never done it yet but I can see it happening soon.

We get our first win of the season playing reasonably well. Yet someone’s still able to pick a fault in Murray due to his celebration?!

Some Rovers fans seriously need to find another Hobby on a Saturday afternoon, as football is not for them