I'm going to confidently predict we'll score our first league goal in this one.

Just can't quite make my mind up whether we'll score early, concede soon after and lose late on, or whether it'll be a consolation goal when we're 0-2 down with five minutes left.

I’d play Gullan on the left of a 4-2-3-1 type thing. The usual two or three of Connolly/Ross/Easton/Zanatta have combined for a total of zero goals in the last four games, it isn’t all Gullan’s fault. We don’t have enough cutting edge or creativity.

It wouldn’t surprise me however if Murray reverts to the 4-1-3-2 he prefers, ignoring the improved performance from Cove. More attackers in a game he thinks we should win.

Really need to get something to stop panic setting in though. Post Christmas last season constantly felt like one step forward, two steps back as a good performance or two which ultimately gained few points was immediately followed up by a dreadful performance which also gained very little. Really important we don’t start doing that again.

26 minutes ago, Paco said:

It wouldn’t surprise me however if Murray reverts to the 4-1-3-2 he prefers, ignoring the improved performance from Cove. More attackers in a game he thinks we should win.

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if it's Stanton who drops out to bring Connell in. It's not a personal thing, I did think he was improved against Dundee, but he doesn't perform a key role. 

The difference from Cove would be a better balanced midfield, with Scott Brown as the "1" protecting a real defence. 

It's not how I'd set up, but I can see why Murray might want to go back to it so soon, even with the Cove performance. 

4 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if it's Stanton who drops out to bring Connell in. It's not a personal thing, I did think he was improved against Dundee, but he doesn't perform a key role. 

The difference from Cove would be a better balanced midfield, with Scott Brown as the "1" protecting a real defence. 

It's not how I'd set up, but I can see why Murray might want to go back to it so soon, even with the Cove performance. 

Yeah, would agree with this.

Brown, likely sitting behind Easton, Connolly and Ross. Gullan and Connell up top and hope like hell something sticks for once.

Another week for McDonald and his CBs to improve their communication. Another week for Nolan to get sharper. Do you play Ngwenya or Dick? We've got one awful full back on the other side, so....

Edited by renton

36 minutes ago, renton said:

Yeah, would agree with this.

Brown, likely sitting behind Easton, Connolly and Ross. Gullan and Connell up top and hope like hell something sticks for once.

Another week for McDonald and his CBs to improve their communication. Another week for Nolan to get sharper. Do you play Ngwenya or Dick? We've got one awful full back on the other side, so....

My immediate instinct is to throw Ngwenya in, but maybe you limit the disruption a little at this stage. Let Nolan get a couple of games with the same guys around him before you start shuffling again. 

2 hours ago, Paco said:

I’d play Gullan on the left of a 4-2-3-1 type thing. The usual two or three of Connolly/Ross/Easton/Zanatta have combined for a total of zero goals in the last four games, it isn’t all Gullan’s fault. We don’t have enough cutting edge or creativity.

Really need to get something to stop panic setting in though. Post Christmas last season constantly felt like one step forward, two steps back as a good performance or two which ultimately gained few points was immediately followed up by a dreadful performance which also gained very little. Really important we don’t start doing that again.

I'd prefer a 4-3-3 with Brown (who better have decent ball control this week, irks me that a professional can't stop a ball dead without it bouncing up his shin or being caught under his feet), Stanton and Easton and Ross, Gullan and Connolly making up the front 3. Its not all Gullans fault, strikers goals come down to the service they're being given and Gullan has been served up garbage so far with high floating crosses, long balls with no support and over hit passes left, right and centre. Even the ball across the box against Dundee was hit at a ridiculous pace and awkward height from a player that didn't once look to see where his team mate was, it was hit and hope. 

I'm happy to criticise a striker when they're missing chances or not being involved in play but there is equal responsibility in providing them with chances that suit their game. High balls to a short lad is not a worthwhile endeavor. I thought we'd learned that back when we had Duffield and Thomson as our front two in the 90's. 

You aren't going to get laser guided cross balls straight onto strikers boots all the time at this level.  The onus has to fall on attacking players to attack balls delivered into dangerous areas.  I haven't seen anywhere near enough of that yet.  There were plenty decent balls into the box against Cove and Dundee, but very little threat in the box.  

Gullan is a decent player and put in a good shift on Saturday, but his goal tally since January says all you need to know about whether or not he's a centre forward.  

Can Easton play as a forward? Not an out and out striker but in a partnership with Gullan. Thinking a 4 1 3 2.

Macdonald

Millen O'Riordan Nolan Dick

Brown

Connolly Arnott Ross/Zanatta

Gullan Easton. 

It could be very fluid with the front five and pote tially give Connel a decent amount of time from the bench depending which of the 5 are not performing in the match. 

There's nothing controversial about Raith fans expecting a win here. Despite four points from our first two games we're among the relegation favourites and if you can't reasonably expect to win your home games against those sides you've got serious problems.

None of which means we can't go there with confidence ourselves. While we're trudging through games with an incomplete squad struggling to create chances, coming up against other teams in the same position is a really good opportunity to get points on the board early on. The fixture list has been kind to us for that reason.

Lyon, Blues and Kabia all merit being dropped for their performances to date but I suspect King for Lyon will be the only change, barring new signings. I don't see Imrie throwing all of King, McGrattan and Garrity in at once.

Certainty wouldn't expect a win here, but I think Morton are likely to have a season similar to ourselves. It's a game we therefore really need to be winning in the course of putting together a reasonable points tally and not falling behind a competitor. I could of course be horribly wrong where I perceive clubs will be, but the top will I think be made of Dundee, Partick, ICT and Arbroath. Beyond that, we will have an ongoing struggle to avoid the seaside league spots with clubs avoiding it better than others. 

Of course we need to be scoring goals in order to win games and that's been highly problematic, the hosing of a desperate Peterhead team excepted. 

Edited by Michael W

Imrie might think Kabia will be an asset on the break here, but I’d definitely stand him down for Garrity.

I’d also bring in McGrattan for Lyon, but it’s looking more and more like Imrie doesn’t fancy him.

Having players who might affect the game coming off the bench might be key to getting something; Lyon and Kabia with something to prove seem the most likely to do that.