What businesses will die?

10 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Using your phone in the bath is definitely a gamble.

Not anymore - almost all of them can be fully submerged for a number of seconds and still work perfectly.

Being here in the States, and having not be made aware of the “American Candy Store” phenomena, is it as simple as it sounds? If it’s true, it’s a truly mind blowing concept given the quality of British/European candies over most American ones. At its most basic, American candy is massively handicapped by shite chocolate.
Pretty much. They do tend to have a shitload of normal sweets as well mind you but there are a lot of the things you hear on America Sitcoms: Tootsie Rolls, Twinkies, Milk Duds etc. There's a bit of a novelty factor about it but as I say, given the amount they cost there can't seriously be much repeat custom.

18 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
14 hours ago, TxRover said:
Being here in the States, and having not be made aware of the “American Candy Store” phenomena, is it as simple as it sounds? If it’s true, it’s a truly mind blowing concept given the quality of British/European candies over most American ones. At its most basic, American candy is massively handicapped by shite chocolate.

Pretty much. They do tend to have a shitload of normal sweets as well mind you but there are a lot of the things you hear on America Sitcoms: Tootsie Rolls, Twinkies, Milk Duds etc. There's a bit of a novelty factor about it but as I say, given the amount they cost there can't seriously be much repeat custom.

Most of it goes in the bin anyway.

14 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

These American Candy Stores are all money laundering fronts.  Same with dessert shops, nail bars, Turkish barbers, tanning salons.

Those naff tartan souvenir shops that have taken over Edinburgh, Inverness and Glasgow city centres are also all as crooked as f**k. Allegedly.

I think some of these places are fronts to launder drug money.  Others are shops to facilitate tax fraud, specifically VAT fraud.  Some of them sell counterfeit goods and doubtless other criminal activities.

One of the tartan tat places in Edinburgh used to sell a tartan rug with Princess Diana's face on it, surely a crime more seriious than all of the above.

Those naff tartan souvenir shops that have taken over Edinburgh, Inverness and Glasgow city centres are also all as crooked as f**k. Allegedly.
They must be in Stirling too then, since Inverness is just Stirling but 10 years behind.

In fact, if they are gone from Stirling, its good new for Sneckie.....

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

One of the tartan tat places in Edinburgh used to sell a tartan rug with Princess Diana's face on it, surely a crime more seriious than all of the above.

Was that tartan rug used to transfer her body from the Paris tunnel and has evolved into something similar to the Turin Shroud?

Surely the Conspiracy Theories thread for this claim?

23 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I recently had the opposite in Dunfermline's 'bier helle' where you weren't far off needing a torch to find one's way about the place.

Eta: just me or have they f***ed up 'beer halle', with 'bier helle' (somewhat ironically) meaning beer light@Shandon Par

Welcome to Helle.

8F20A279-0A14-498D-83CB-562AE1D54632.jpeg

20 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Mentioned this in the Covid thread but when I was at the Three Sisters in Edinburgh the other week there. I was charged £29 for 4 pints and a vodka-coke. 

Can see pubs/clubs struggle to survive in the coming months like you said with prices like the above. 

I hope they do struggle to get people, city center Edinburgh has been robbing c***s for years unless you know the right places to go. However Three Sisters won't struggle as it always appears to be heaving despite it being a shite boozer.

6 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Some crematoria use the heat generated, which would normally go to atmosphere, to heat water, which in turn heats the building.

I worked on a project about 8 years ago looking at Sustainability scoping for Glasgow City Council's crems, and was surprised to see this was the case. Its theoretically possible (wasn't my part of the project so can't remember the ins and outs of it) to use the amount of heat generated to power a turbine as well and generate enough power to supply about half the electricity required for an electric cremator. 

Was a fun job, walking past the queue of coffins waiting for their shot on my way to get lunch every day. Saw a skull implode once. Great days

29 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I worked on a project about 8 years ago looking at Sustainability scoping for Glasgow City Council's crems, and was surprised to see this was the case. Its theoretically possible (wasn't my part of the project so can't remember the ins and outs of it) to use the amount of heat generated to power a turbine as well and generate enough power to supply about half the electricity required for an electric cremator. 

Was a fun job, walking past the queue of coffins waiting for their shot on my way to get lunch every day. Saw a skull implode once. Great days

So what you're saying is more auld c***s need to die so they can power turbines and lower my electricity bill? I'm willing to make that sacrifice.