What businesses will die?

14 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

It appears to be Eastern European guys running it when they can be arsed opening. 

Those pesky Armenians coming over here, flooding the market with cocaine and barely open waffle shops!

18 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

No idea how they keep popping up tbh. Was in one the other day for a look but never bought anything. Even the odd time I have it's been one item as it's extortionate. I refuse to believe folk go into those places and make purchases regularly.

They always seem to be run by sour faced c***s as well.

Those 2 statements could well be related.

18 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
19 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:
Seems strange. They fall under the same "entirely legitimate" as the waffle shops and nail bars of the world around these parts.

A waffle shop opened in Ayr recently. It opens for a few hours a week and bearing in mind this is high summer season I assume this will be it's "busy" time. It appears to be Eastern European guys running it when they can be arsed opening. All in all a very odd operating model.

Their waffley versatile. 

On 07/08/2022 at 13:03, Aufc said:

Pubs and restaurants l will be the worst affected I imagine. I thinly takeaway’s will be fine because brits are inherently lazy and greedy so will continue to get them

I don’t think takeaways will be fine - imagine you have a takeaway a week and then find yourself in a position where you need to find an extra £200 a month from. Anything that is enjoyable and non essential will be gone first from your spending.

21 hours ago, Lofarl said:

The Tan salon where I live is thriving.  Never seen a single soul enter.  But it's doing just fine.

Used to live round the corner from a hairdressers that was apparently open at something like 10-2 Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. I lived there for 21 years and never saw it open once.

Edited by Empty It

47 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Hopefully all those tartan tat shops and Wetherspoons.

Wetherspoons will just get busier unfortunately due to all the locals charging a fortune for a pint. I can get a pint in a wetherspoons in Edinburgh for cheaper than I can in my local in East Lothian although I wouldn't be caught dead giving those c***s a penny.

21 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

It varies around the country, but a lot of bars and restaurants are having to close multiple days a week as they can't get enough staff. Hotels have huge numbers of rooms blocked off as they don't have the staff to operate to capacity.

Cost of living isn't the biggest problem facing hospitality.

My in-laws live in a very touristy area in the Highlands. Many businesses are tourism based and very seasonal. The combination of the end of free movement and the insanity of long-term accommodation availability and prices in the Highlands means many places are only doing food four or five days a week even at the height of summer. Energy costs are already huge up here and it's only going to get worse this winter.

Edited by Cyclizine

Unemployment is the lowest it's been since the seventies and consumer spending is rising quarter on quarter. Covid culled all the ailing businesses, any still going are strong enough to make it through the next year.
Seriously ? You are predicting that the impending recession coupled with energy price rises in the 100s of % will not put a single company out of business ???

3 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Heard an owner of a Chinese takeaway on the radio this morning, his quarterly energy bills have went from around £2.5k to £16k.

My work has went from £75k in the quarter to £250k.

Businesses cannot sustain that shirley.

For gas alone, he was asked to shell out more than £10,000, in comparison to the last quarter when it totalled just over £1,000.

Electricity, while not as exponential a rise, is also up from around £1,000 to more than £4,000 this quarter, he says.

A new contract offered to him by energy company SSE would see him paying between £45,000 and £50,000 annually for gas and electricity combined.

He continued: “It always used to be between £8,000 and £9,000 a year, for gas and electricity combined – £10,000 at a stretch.

“Now, with electric at more that £4,000 and gas at £10,000 in the last quarter alone, I’m facing shutting shop.”

4 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

For gas alone, he was asked to shell out more than £10,000, in comparison to the last quarter when it totalled just over £1,000.

Electricity, while not as exponential a rise, is also up from around £1,000 to more than £4,000 this quarter, he says.

A new contract offered to him by energy company SSE would see him paying between £45,000 and £50,000 annually for gas and electricity combined.

He continued: “It always used to be between £8,000 and £9,000 a year, for gas and electricity combined – £10,000 at a stretch.

“Now, with electric at more that £4,000 and gas at £10,000 in the last quarter alone, I’m facing shutting shop.”

That's eh boy.

On 07/08/2022 at 11:53, tamthebam said:

Perhaps Just Eat and Deliveroo will fold and the pavements will be once more safe for pedestrians 

... and one can get a McFlurry from McDonald's without having to wait 20 f***ing minutes for order 243215 to get prepared.

8 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

You've done the hardest part. Just seek the help you need now.

That should have been in the past tense. I took drugs until I had to be a sensible b*****d when the bairn was born.

Saying that I take more drugs now. Rosuvastatin, aspirin, Ramipril, Atenolol. Every day for the rest of my life.