What businesses will die?

2 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Pubs and restaurants l will be the worst affected I imagine. I thinly takeaway’s will be fine because brits are inherently lazy and greedy so will continue to get them

I certainly will. I'm  patriotic like that. Never let it be said I don't do my bit!

I read somewhere today that Uber has made combined losses of $32 billion dollars since it was incorporated, has never made a profit and Is essentially a con scheme.  Fuel costs and labour market squeezes could push it under.
That's how most new businesses operate these days, though obviously Uber is considerably bigger than average. Tam will be delighted to hear that Deliveroo lost about £300 million last year and have yet to turn a profit.

It won't be inflation and cost of living that kills these businesses though. It'll be the rising interest rates and sluggish markets that are putting an end to the McDuckian free money pits investors have been keeping topped up.

American Candy Stores 
No idea how they keep popping up tbh. Was in one the other day for a look but never bought anything. Even the odd time I have it's been one item as it's extortionate. I refuse to believe folk go into those places and make purchases regularly.

They always seem to be run by sour faced c***s as well.

As said already, things like nail bars, hairdressers and beauty salons will all be fine because, for as long as the world turns, money laundering and vanity will both exist. God forbid some women should have to consider blow drying their own hair or shovelling on their own makeup, so the ill-gotten gains of our drug lords and underworld kingpins will continue to be cleaned unabated through these businesses as well as their entirely legit 24hr car washing operations. 

Small independents like florists, cafés and boutique clothes shops will struggle, and the hospitality industry will take another kicking. Going to be interesting (and depressing) to see how far things fall. Looking like a very bleak year or two for many.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Think we will need some sort of initiative to help out the ailing hospitality industry. Perhaps 50% off Mon-Wed.

A rolling system, whereby every day of the week has a discount would be my preference in this modern 24/7 world. Say, Mon/Tue one week, Wed/Thu the next, followed by Fri/Sat as well as every Sunday.

I think that could definitely work and prove successful, and is in no way related solely to how my rest day rotation at work goes.

Think we will need some sort of initiative to help out the ailing hospitality industry. Perhaps 50% off Mon-Wed.
It varies around the country, but a lot of bars and restaurants are having to close multiple days a week as they can't get enough staff. Hotels have huge numbers of rooms blocked off as they don't have the staff to operate to capacity.

Cost of living isn't the biggest problem facing hospitality.

53 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Small independents like florists, cafés will struggle

Seems strange. They fall under the same "entirely legitimate" as the waffle shops and nail bars of the world around these parts.

44 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Seems strange. They fall under the same "entirely legitimate" as the waffle shops and nail bars of the world around these parts.

Possibly some, ahem, 'creative book keeping' for some, was basing my point around a few completely legit businesses in these sectors that I know of in my local area of leafy Lanarkshire.

Your waffle shop example is on the money. The upsurge in dessert shops literally everywhere over the last couple of years is unbelievable. Not a chance they're all turning a legitimate coin, no matter how much  a nation of greedy, sweet-toothed fat b*****ds Scots are.

A waffle shop opened in Ayr recently. It opens for a few hours a week and bearing in mind this is high summer season I assume this will be it's "busy" time. It appears to be Eastern European guys running it when they can be arsed opening. All in all a very odd operating model.