What businesses will die?

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think Covid and lockdowns KOd the cinema business.

That and streaming.

I wonder if the era of the multiplex is coming to an end. Maybe the bingo halls will start converting back to smaller cinemas again. Either way, I don't think it'll die altogether, just like TV, then home video rental didn't kill it off.

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

That and streaming.

I wonder if the era of the multiplex is coming to an end. Maybe the bingo halls will start converting back to smaller cinemas again. Either way, I don't think it'll die altogether, just like TV, then home video rental didn't kill it off.

Absolutely - aside from people not going out to cinemas (or anywhere else) the release of films via streaming much sooner than previously has had a big impact.

I love the cinema though. Maybe the big places will close but I hope that smaller screens like the Playhouse etc in Edinburgh stay open.

10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Absolutely - aside from people not going out to cinemas (or anywhere else) the release of films via streaming much sooner than previously has had a big impact.

I love the cinema though. Maybe the big places will close but I hope that smaller screens like the Playhouse etc in Edinburgh stay open.

Aye, there's a nightclub in Alloa that decided to operate as a cinema during the day, and it's braw - takes me right back to watching films at the local theatre when I was a kid. Hopefully those kinds of establishments can keep going. If there ends up being fewer multiplexes, maybe they'll even have a bit more power over what they're allowed to show.

The very first place I worked in is closing down. Going in over the weekend to see some of the folk I worked with, 10 years of trading all over after Brexit and utilities just knocked the stuffing out of them.

On 10/08/2022 at 10:40, Stringer Bell said:

Most of the Tartan Tat shops in Edinburgh are owned by the same 2-3 Scots Indian families. Possibly some tax/VAT dodgyness going on, but they're not OC fronts or money laundering outfits. They'll be fine because daft tourists will continue to buy their shite.

Reckon there'll be another round of High Street bookmaker closures, it's mostly all online now, add in rising overheads, pub closures and the older generation dying off. Doubt there will be many left in 5-10 years time.

Were they not in news fairly recently for tax dodging?

Edited by RH33

In yet another flashing red light for the economy, which is forecast by the Bank of England to fall into recession next year, data published on Friday by the Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) shows that a majority of firms – 53% – expect to stagnate, shrink or fold in the coming 12 months.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/aug/19/uk-small-businesses-forced-to-close-by-soaring-energy-bills

4 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

So 47% of them expect to grow during a recession? They seem to be far more confident than this thread would suggest.

I knew there were loads, but I didn't realise American Candy and Tourist Tat shops made up 47% of UK businesses

On 20/08/2022 at 13:23, oaksoft said:

Just checked the FSB report itself and yes, that figure of 47% does appear to be correct and excludes those who don't know.

Business people do have a tendency to be very (overly) optimistic people though and that optimism is quite often not realised in practice. Quite a lot of small retailers are saying they are confident of growing in the next year which is pretty bizarre to say the least. Business people rarely want to admit to anyone that they are worried about the growth of their company. Negativity and negative people are poisonous which most of them try to keep out of their lives because it can destroy you very quickly.

I honestly would take this number with a pinch of salt, you can't trust the responses.

It's not so much that fortune favours the bold, half of the bold will still fail for one reason or the other, it's more a case that the over cautios and negative minded will never get anywhere

35 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

It's not so much that fortune favours the bold, half of the bold will still fail for one reason or the other, it's more a case that the over cautios and negative minded will never get anywhere

Exactly.  People who would think their business will shrink tend to not run their own  businesses. 

If you tested the growth expectations against the outcomes,  the outcome will be lower almost all of the time.