Youtube adverts: who are they for?

You can skip some of them, even if the ad does not appear to be skippable. I'll try to explain here. Works for all devices but this is done on the Android app.

1. Click the 'i' button

Screenshot_20220808-004308_YouTube.jpg.a8ab745d5411d191cf89104a20fd11bd.jpg

2. Click 'Stop seeing this ad'. (If it does not have this option then it won't work. I've found around 80% of videos I watch do have it however)

Screenshot_20220808-004319_YouTube.thumb.jpg.6fe802c85f5c41f9a453d028c5e9df3f.jpg

3. Click 'Yes'

Screenshot_20220808-004330_YouTube.jpg.98f44811c9a42acd50f7b3d88b9b4dd3.jpg

4. Click 'Close'

Screenshot_20220808-004339_YouTube.thumb.jpg.5f14ff470ff017a29aa840d9cac6b284.jpg

That should close the ad from there and you can continue to watch the video without forking out a tenner a month.

8 hours ago, parxyz said:

You can skip some of them, even if the ad does not appear to be skippable. I'll try to explain here. Works for all devices but this is done on the Android app.

1. Click the 'i' button

Screenshot_20220808-004308_YouTube.jpg.a8ab745d5411d191cf89104a20fd11bd.jpg

2. Click 'Stop seeing this ad'. (If it does not have this option then it won't work. I've found around 80% of videos I watch do have it however)

Screenshot_20220808-004319_YouTube.thumb.jpg.6fe802c85f5c41f9a453d028c5e9df3f.jpg

3. Click 'Yes'

Screenshot_20220808-004330_YouTube.jpg.98f44811c9a42acd50f7b3d88b9b4dd3.jpg

4. Click 'Close'

Screenshot_20220808-004339_YouTube.thumb.jpg.5f14ff470ff017a29aa840d9cac6b284.jpg

That should close the ad from there and you can continue to watch the video without forking out a tenner a month.

That used to work for me, but for some reason a couple of months ago the 'Stop seeing this ad' option disappeared.

Stupidely took YouTube up on their '2 months Premium free trial' and wish I hadn't. Those 2 months were bliss. Can't really justify spunking £12 a month to get no ads though. For what it's worth the short 5 second ads are not to bad, it's the 2 x 15 seconds ads that get on my tits.

22 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Caved in a few months back and got a subscription due to the adverts. So it's worked for them on me certainly. Can't say I'm bothered mind you. £12 a month and it's probably the app I use most as well as the kids watching a shitload of YouTube. Not having an advert after every single video is magic. And like Lubo1, I tend to watch ASMR videos* to doze off so it saves a screaming advert popping up as I'm dozing off.

* I know you never specified that's what you watch to fall asleep.

That's mental. Free AdBlockPlus - download through google. 30sec at the most. (free)

Download -YouTube Kids (free)

save you 12 quid a month

I  could post a video how to do it.....😆

On 08/08/2022 at 00:48, 19QOS19 said:
On 08/08/2022 at 00:33, invergowrie arab said:
Need a special machine/sound and light display to fall asleep is something most people grow out of after about 2 

Can't speak for anyone else but I don't anything to fall asleep to. A white noise box is magic for keeping you asleep though rather than being awoken by random noises during the night. A fan works the same way tbh which is win-win in warm weather.

Yeah, have posted this before i think but ive got some videos specifically on a playlist that help me doze off at night.

Not essential, but i do find them helpful. Soft spoken guys with german accents reviewing cars is my current go to; a few minutes of someone comparing the interior material quality/engine displacement of the latest model to the previous gen and more often than not ill be out like a light and drooling onto my pillow.

Edit: or did. The volume of ads creeping up and up does make it way tougher to do now, and im not paying for a yt premium account.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Yeah, have posted this before i think but ive got some videos specifically on a playlist that help me doze off at night.
Not essential, but i do find them helpful. Soft spoken guys with german accents reviewing cars is my current go to; a few minutes of someone comparing the interior material quality/engine displacement of the latest model to the previous gen and more often than not ill be out like a light and drooling onto my pillow.
Edit: or did. The volume of ads creeping up and up does make it way tougher to do now, and im not paying for a yt premium account.
An Indian/Pakistani accent does that to me for some reason. Not on YouTube specifically, just in general. Something really soothing about it.

On 17/08/2022 at 04:11, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I had a double tape of someone speaking with rainfall in the background, the speaking person then faded out with just just rain (storm), used to set me off to sleep all the time.

Then I got married and  just ask my wife how her day was at work.... 

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

I had a double tape of someone speaking with rainfall in the background, the speaking person then faded out with just just rain (storm), used to set me off to sleep all the time.

Then I got married and  just ask my wife how her day was at work.... 

^^^

I need silence to sleep, but my son has one of Niles' rainforest noise machines. He sleeps to the sound of rainfall. After the torrential storm last Sunday night, I can see where he's coming from, although I could do without 3AM lightning strikes that sound like the Russians have nuked Tullibody.

On 17/08/2022 at 14:16, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Granny!

20220817_141438.thumb.jpg.cba02a7f40bf0fe175122b1eb36e73f5.jpg

That one bugs me because i think its dubbed over and all, so why dub it with a grating accent 😬

Edit: im bored and wasnt sure if i was right so i looked it up, it isnt actually dubbed after all but one of the 15 second edits of the full vid for the yt ads is cut together so it looks dubbed at one point

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

51 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

That one bugs me because i think its dubbed over and all, so why dub it with a grating accent 😬

Edit: im bored and wasnt sure if i was right so i looked it up, it isnt actually dubbed after all but one of the 15 second edits of the full vid for the yt ads is cut together so it looks dubbed at one point

You clever thing.

• 1 month later...

They seem to be getting worse. The unskippable ones seem to be a wee bit longer, and certain channels have adverts much more often. I had to abandon a 37 minute video earlier not even 10 minutes in (WWE, and I know they're a channel that gets more ads than most others, but even for them it was ludicrous) after there were 5 ads. Not putting up with that. Won't be watching any content that has that many ads, even if said ads are only 10 or 15 seconds. Won't be chucking Youtuhe cash for premium either. I pay enough on subscriptions (usually two each month, on occasion 3 but also only 1). To be fair it's not that much to me and easily affordable, but f**k paying them as they're such a bag of c***s.

Even saw an ad during Pars highlights for the first time ever recently.

On 18/08/2022 at 22:06, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I don’t think it’s dubbed but the last line is dubbed from another line from the longer cut and it really annoys me how much it doesn’t match her lip movement at all

Source: I do this for a living 

Also, I noticed that they recently overdubbed the “are you lost wee laddie” old woman from the Susan Calman ads for some reason. Got looked at like I was mental when I brought this up in the pub