Youtube adverts: who are they for?

Just watched a 20 minute Youtube video and there were adverts almost every 3 minutes. Granted, it was a more popular channel (WWE), and I believe the more popular channels have more adverts, but even with other channels I watch the adverts are far too frequent and far too long. Every single time I load up a different channel there are the two unskippable ads, or at least the first is unskippable. The skip button now counts down from six. The ads themselves are longer.

The ads are also total pish. Not only are they almsot almost totally irrelevant to me, but they're all so annoying. They are irritating pish that, when I don't mute the ad and turn away, make me want to add that company to a list of companies I'll never buy a single product from (although I don't have such a list).

Almost everyone hates Youtube ads. So who are they for? Aside from the people who receive their revenue that is.

f**k them.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Just watched a 20 minute Youtube video and there were adverts almost every 3 minutes. Granted, it was a more popular channel (WWE), and I believe the more popular channels have more adverts, but even with other channels I watch the adverts are far too frequent and far too long. Every single time I load up a different channel there are the two unskippable ads, or at least the first is unskippable. The skip button now counts down from six. The ads themselves are longer.

The ads are also total pish. Not only are they almsot almost totally irrelevant to me, but they're all so annoying. They are irritating pish that, when I don't mute the ad and turn away, make me want to add that company to a list of companies I'll never buy a single product from (although I don't have such a list).

Almost everyone hates Youtube ads. So who are they for? Aside from the people who receive their revenue that is.

f**k them.

They are there to drive you to pay for premium to avoid them. 

Making them infuriating allows YouTube to sell premium subscriptions with no ads. 

Inwatch fitness videos so get loads of “try this one weird trick to get a six pack” adverts. My personal favourites are the ads that sell you ‘face workouts’ which almost always consist of some weird rubber thing you chew to get a ripped jawline. Hilarious.

What’s odd is that you get loads of adverts for scammers during videos that are anti scammer. 

Edited by ICTChris

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

f**k them.

What's WWE?

11 minutes ago, Rugster said:

They are there to drive you to pay for premium to avoid them. 

Aye, true.

9 minutes ago, Ray Patterson said:

Get the Opera browser - stops all ads on YouTube.

I have Opera on my phone, but doesn't make a difference when accessing Youtube.

6 minutes ago, sophia said:

What's WWE?

World Wrestling Entertainment, formerly WWF until the panda lads battered them.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Making them infuriating allows YouTube to sell premium subscriptions with no ads. 

Inwatch fitness videos so get loads of “try this one weird trick to get a six pack” adverts. My personal favourites are the ads that sell you ‘face workouts’ which almost always consist of some weird rubber thing you chew to get a ripped jawline. Hilarious.

What’s odd is that you get loads of adverts for scammers during videos that are anti scammer. 

That's the thing that annoys me. I can put up with terrible adverts for products that I'd never buy in a million years - sometimes they can be amusing - but the scam adverts really piss me off. YouTube does like to pretend it's not a "proper" platform when it suits; they get away with taking money to promote shit that would land actual TV channels and streaming services in all sorts of trouble.

Not as annoying, but just weird - occasionally something slips through into their advert rotation that's aimed at another country altogether. I've seen American, Indian, and Iranian (I think) in the past. Similarly, I'll sometimes get half-hour long evangelical videos trying to sell Jesus to the credulous. Not sure how that's allowed, but they have the yellow timeline, so they're being played as commercials.

I have adblock on the desktop and mobile which does the job.

Ps5 gets the odd ad but nothing that's overbearing.

Youtube seems to make up for that on the firestick. Get an ad approaching every 2 minutes and they're often unskippable. Drives me up the wall - especially considering that's what I stick on to go to sleep to. Wouldn't mind as much if the ad volume wasn't significantly louder than the video I'm watching.

38 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Ps5 gets the odd ad but nothing that's overbearing.

Youtube seems to make up for that on the firestick. Get an ad approaching every 2 minutes and they're often unskippable. Drives me up the wall - especially considering that's what I stick on to go to sleep to. Wouldn't mind as much if the ad volume wasn't significantly louder than the video I'm watching.

How do you expect them to be able to sell shite if the adverts aren't loud?

56 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

This is the answer. I have adblock plus. No ads on any websites.  Some websites ask you to turn off.  They can beat it.

also have youtube kids.  No ads without adblock.

hth

Caved in a few months back and got a subscription due to the adverts. So it's worked for them on me certainly. Can't say I'm bothered mind you. £12 a month and it's probably the app I use most as well as the kids watching a shitload of YouTube. Not having an advert after every single video is magic. And like Lubo1, I tend to watch ASMR videos* to doze off so it saves a screaming advert popping up as I'm dozing off.

* I know you never specified that's what you watch to fall asleep.

3 hours ago, ParsJake said:

Amazed we haven't had a "people who watch wrestling are OFTW" comment.

People who watch wrestling are OFTW.

That's why I generally get on with them so well.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Folk watch devices in order to fall asleep?

I stick some low-volume talky videos on the phone before nodding off most nights.

I recommend Stuart Ashen raking through whatever shit he's dug up at Poundland, or consuming ancient tinned foodstuffs sent to him by people hoping that one day he'll die on camera.

Need a special machine/sound and light display to fall asleep is something most people grow out of after about 2 
Can't speak for anyone else but I don't anything to fall asleep to. A white noise box is magic for keeping you asleep though rather than being awoken by random noises during the night. A fan works the same way tbh which is win-win in warm weather.