Martin Tyler

14 minutes ago, Tapiola said:

Wish he’d come back with a clarification that he meant Heysel 

That would be tremendous, and absolutely valid. Anyone remember the outrage amongst Liverpool fans when they played Juventus in a CL match at Anfield a few years back? Liverpool fans organised some "apology" display, but quite a few Juve fans weren't having it and turned their backs, much to the disgust of many Liverpool fans. 

Hillsborough was an awful tragedy, but the way everyone is expected to walking on eggshells around Liverpool fans is ridiculous. I can't be arsed with Tyler's BEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD shite, but this is a complete storm in a teacup. Doubtless plenty of scousers will be demanding his career be ended. I'm surprised they haven't asked for the number "96" to be retired from public use tbqh. 

ETA: Ridiculous quote from local MP: Paula Barker, the MP for Liverpool Wavertree, said Tyler’s comments were “disgusting”. She criticised the BBC for failing to challenge him and asked Sky Sports in her tweet: “How can he be allowed to have a career in sports journalism & perpetuate these lies”?

Edited by Day of the Lords

Although the Tyler reference in the op does sound like an honest slip of the tongue mentioning Hillsborough in the same breath as hooligan related nonsense at football at that time some of the pish that the commentators come away with when it's relating to sensitive subjects is just outstanding. I forget which match I was watching last November but similar to to the foot in mouth Ukrainian reference on the previous page whoever was commentating kept throwing in the world war 2 soldiering on, digging deep in the trenches type shite as if it has any sort of meaning for a match full of multimillionaire footballers. Anything to perpetuate the two world wars and one world cup chants alive to keep the moronic English fans happy.

On 06/08/2022 at 08:16, Day of the Lords said:

That would be tremendous, and absolutely valid. Anyone remember the outrage amongst Liverpool fans when they played Juventus in a CL match at Anfield a few years back? Liverpool fans organised some "apology" display, but quite a few Juve fans weren't having it and turned their backs, much to the disgust of many Liverpool fans. 

Hillsborough was an awful tragedy, but the way everyone is expected to walking on eggshells around Liverpool fans is ridiculous. I can't be arsed with Tyler's BEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD shite, but this is a complete storm in a teacup. Doubtless plenty of scousers will be demanding his career be ended. I'm surprised they haven't asked for the number "96" to be retired from public use tbqh. 

ETA: Ridiculous quote from local MP: Paula Barker, the MP for Liverpool Wavertree, said Tyler’s comments were “disgusting”. She criticised the BBC for failing to challenge him and asked Sky Sports in her tweet: “How can he be allowed to have a career in sports journalism & perpetuate these lies”?

I think you mean 97.

On 05/08/2022 at 15:23, effeffsee_the2nd said:

that's his job tbf

Also liverpool fans are a bunch of greetin faced p***ks, when it comes to Hillsborough they're  like a kid at school who had lost a parent then subsequently spent the rest of their youth bringing that up whenever it suited them

Why do we have a minutes silence for Hillsborough?

So Liverpool fans will shut the f**k up about Hillsborough for a minute. 

Victim FC see everything black and white around this instead of the complex shades of grey it is.

It why you never have a sensible debate about the causes of Hillsborough because these morons are just looking to be offended.

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Victim FC see everything black and white around this instead of the complex shades of grey it is.

It why you never have a sensible debate about the causes of Hillsborough because these morons are just looking to be offended.

Ah yes, “victim FC” are just looking to be offended

Or hear this, I know it’s a bit radical but maybe they’re just sick of taking the blame for what was a smear campaign against them with the police attempting a cover up

Its not as if a serving UK Prime Minister publicly apologised to the family for it

David Cameron said he was "profoundly sorry" for the failures that caused the Hillsborough disaster and the subsequent attempts to shift blame for the tragedy on to supporters after the publication of a damning report on the events 23 years ago that left 96 dead.

Speaking in the Commons on Wednesday, the prime minister said the findings in the report were "deeply distressing". He said: "With the weight of the new evidence in the report it's right for me today as prime minister to make a proper apology to the families of the 96 … On behalf of the government, and indeed of our country, I am profoundly sorry that this double injustice has been left uncorrected for so long."

The report by the Hillsborough independent panel, established three years ago and chaired by the bishop of Liverpool, James Jones, found that there was a failure of authorities to protect people and an attempt to blame fans.

The panel concluded that the main cause of the Hillsborough disaster was a "failure in police control" but also revealed "multiple failures" within other organisations that compromised crowd safety. It underlined the "clear operational failure" that led to the disaster and the attempts by South Yorkshire police (SYP) and the ambulance service to cover up their shortcomings. The fact that the ambulance service also altered statements from staff is revealed for the first time. The evidence shows "conclusively" that Liverpool fans "neither caused nor contributed to the deaths" and shows the extent to which attempts, endorsed by the South Yorkshire chief constable Peter Wright, were made to smear them.

Documents released to the panel show how high-ranking police sources, the South Yorkshire Police Federation and the Tory MP Irvine Patnick were responsible for feeding the stories to Whites News Agency in Yorkshire.

They led to the infamous Sun headline "The Truth" that led to a longstanding boycott of the paper in Liverpool.

"The Police Federation, supported informally by the SYP chief constable, sought to develop and publicise a version of events derived in police officers' allegations of drunkenness, ticketless fans and violence. This extended beyond the media to parliament," said the panel."From the mass of documents, television and CCTV coverage disclosed to the panel there is no evidence to support these allegations other than a few isolated examples of aggressive or verbally abusive behaviour clearly reflecting frustration and desperation. The vast majority of fans on the pitch assisted in rescuing and evacuating the dead and injured."

The panel found that 164 police statements were significantly amended and 116 explicitly removed negative comments about the policing operation, including its lack of leadership, a revelation that drew gasps when relayed by Cameron in parliament. Officers carried out police national computer checks on those who had died in an attempt "to impugn the reputations of the deceased" and the coroner took blood alcohol levels from all of the deceased, including children. The panel found that close analysis of the documents demonstrated that the weight placed on blood alcohol levels was inappropriate, fuelling "persistent and unsustainable assertions about drunken fan behaviour not supported by evidence of moderate patterns of drinking unremarkable for a leisure event."

Documents disclosed to the panel also reveal that the original pathologists' evidence of a single unvarying pattern of death is unsustainable. The assumption was the basis of a coroner's imposition of a 3.15pm cut-off on evidence to the inquests. It led to the mistaken belief that an effective emergency service intervention could not have saved lives. The panel's disclosure confirms that in some cases death was not immediate and the outcome depended on events after 3.15pm.

Dr Bill Kirkup, from the panel, said at a press conference at the Anglican cathedral in Liverpool that 41 of the victims had "potential to survive", although he could not say for sure how many could have been saved.

Edited by Clown Job

7 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Ah yes, “victim FC” are just looking to be offended

Or hear this, I know it’s a bit radical but maybe they’re just sick of taking the blame for what was a smear campaign against them with the police attempting a cover up

Its not as if a serving UK Prime Minister publicly apologised to the family for it

David Cameron said he was "profoundly sorry" for the failures that caused the Hillsborough disaster and the subsequent attempts to shift blame for the tragedy on to supporters after the publication of a damning report on the events 23 years ago that left 96 dead.

Speaking in the Commons on Wednesday, the prime minister said the findings in the report were "deeply distressing". He said: "With the weight of the new evidence in the report it's right for me today as prime minister to make a proper apology to the families of the 96 … On behalf of the government, and indeed of our country, I am profoundly sorry that this double injustice has been left uncorrected for so long."

The report by the Hillsborough independent panel, established three years ago and chaired by the bishop of Liverpool, James Jones, found that there was a failure of authorities to protect people and an attempt to blame fans.

The panel concluded that the main cause of the Hillsborough disaster was a "failure in police control" but also revealed "multiple failures" within other organisations that compromised crowd safety. It underlined the "clear operational failure" that led to the disaster and the attempts by South Yorkshire police (SYP) and the ambulance service to cover up their shortcomings. The fact that the ambulance service also altered statements from staff is revealed for the first time. The evidence shows "conclusively" that Liverpool fans "neither caused nor contributed to the deaths" and shows the extent to which attempts, endorsed by the South Yorkshire chief constable Peter Wright, were made to smear them.

Documents released to the panel show how high-ranking police sources, the South Yorkshire Police Federation and the Tory MP Irvine Patnick were responsible for feeding the stories to Whites News Agency in Yorkshire.

They led to the infamous Sun headline "The Truth" that led to a longstanding boycott of the paper in Liverpool.

"The Police Federation, supported informally by the SYP chief constable, sought to develop and publicise a version of events derived in police officers' allegations of drunkenness, ticketless fans and violence. This extended beyond the media to parliament," said the panel."From the mass of documents, television and CCTV coverage disclosed to the panel there is no evidence to support these allegations other than a few isolated examples of aggressive or verbally abusive behaviour clearly reflecting frustration and desperation. The vast majority of fans on the pitch assisted in rescuing and evacuating the dead and injured."

The panel found that 164 police statements were significantly amended and 116 explicitly removed negative comments about the policing operation, including its lack of leadership, a revelation that drew gasps when relayed by Cameron in parliament. Officers carried out police national computer checks on those who had died in an attempt "to impugn the reputations of the deceased" and the coroner took blood alcohol levels from all of the deceased, including children. The panel found that close analysis of the documents demonstrated that the weight placed on blood alcohol levels was inappropriate, fuelling "persistent and unsustainable assertions about drunken fan behaviour not supported by evidence of moderate patterns of drinking unremarkable for a leisure event."

Documents disclosed to the panel also reveal that the original pathologists' evidence of a single unvarying pattern of death is unsustainable. The assumption was the basis of a coroner's imposition of a 3.15pm cut-off on evidence to the inquests. It led to the mistaken belief that an effective emergency service intervention could not have saved lives. The panel's disclosure confirms that in some cases death was not immediate and the outcome depended on events after 3.15pm.

Dr Bill Kirkup, from the panel, said at a press conference at the Anglican cathedral in Liverpool that 41 of the victims had "potential to survive", although he could not say for sure how many could have been saved.

No-one read this.

The issue isn’t about how bad the incident and cover up was it’s the constant witch hunt that ensues when ever someone says something about it. Martin Tyler clearly wasn’t wanting to say hooliganism caused the accident and was naming a broader point about how much the game has changed since his time at sky. Alan Davies was pointing out why the significance of the date mattered so much and why Liverpool were still allowed to not play on that date at the business end of the season (on his own podcast no less) and yet both of them were labelled as a disgrace for their comments which probably nobody actually heard anyway and only Reed about on Twitter.

14 minutes ago, throbber said:

The issue isn’t about how bad the incident and cover up was it’s the constant witch hunt that ensues when ever someone says something about it. Martin Tyler clearly wasn’t wanting to say hooliganism caused the accident and was naming a broader point about how much the game has changed since his time at sky. Alan Davies was pointing out why the significance of the date mattered so much and why Liverpool were still allowed to not play on that date at the business end of the season (on his own podcast no less) and yet both of them were labelled as a disgrace for their comments which probably nobody actually heard anyway and only Reed about on Twitter.

I don’t believe Martin Tyler meant to suggest hooliganism was one of the causes

But I can understand why they’re very quick to shut down that kinda chat and make it clear it wasn’t

4 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

But I can understand why they’re very quick to shut down that kinda chat and make it clear it wasn’t

He came out and apologised and cleared up any confusion though afterwards but it still wasn’t enough and a Liverpool mp still labelled him a disgrace. When Tyler next goes to Anfield he is going to be in for a hard time after it as well, does anyone actually think he’s deliberately put himself in that position?

Hooliganism led to the fencing in of fans - there were views even before Hillsborough that the fencing was a major health and safety concern. I know the police and football authorities are the major reason Hillsborough happened - but having fans penned in was always going to lead to a catastrophe at some point.

I think he was referring to the general image of English football prior to the premier league.

Whether it was the fault of the fans, the police, the stadium, whatever…Hillsborough was a bad look for the game in conjunction with a period where hooliganism was shocking and English clubs had been banned from Europe.

It is poor for certain people to take what he said and apply their own meaning and slaughter him for if.