Motherwell v St Johnstone 6/8/22

Will happily say I hate seeing us display the antics on show today as well. The feigning injury more than the time wasting. 

That game was there for the taking today and instead we decided to try and shitfest it. 

Entertainment too much to ask for your £25.

3 hours ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Pass marks for us are Mitchell again and Montgomery who I was very negative about last week but really enjoyed seeing him constantly trying to drive forward despite the boss. 

Terminate the contracts of the old four today imho, even with the well taken goal

Felt Montgomery threatened to drive forward on numerous occasions but would inevitably stop and then pass the ball back to Considine. No doubt that is on instruction of manager. There was loads of space on his side in the second half but we weren't interested in exploiting it.

Enjoyed scoring a late winner, you have to really, but that second half was abysmal from us, putting Crawford on just summed it up as @Radford said. What was  the managers thinking behind that? Offered us absolutely nothing, at least MOH would be an out ball of some kind.

Pretty galling to hear Allan Preston on the radio afterwards describe how he embraced Davidson at the end.

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

He fluffs about 3 free shots at goal from 25 yards a game.

I get that we're looking for goals from all areas. We'll need more than just big Kev's 10/11 (if he gets the same as last year) BUT can someone tell Goss that he's not the next Turnbull and maybe passing to a striker, or moving in the box to shoot might be a better option?

Got to love a last minute winner, such a huge release of emotion from the players and the supporters, something I think everyone needed. 

Thought we played well first half, we looked dangerous and were the better side. Murphy showed his worth and thought we actually won the midfield battle for the first time since McCann left. 

Second half we sat in too much and invited unnecessary pressure and almost paid the price with the late equaliser. Two last minute goals (both potentially own goals as well) has been horrible, but so pleased for May to get the winner. I’ll never not have a soft spot for him even if he’s not the player he was. 

Most of the issues are still there but don’t think tonight is the time to discuss them, it’s been nice to have a Saturday evening that’s not been completely tainted by a poor Saints performance and result and hopefully it’s something we can build on. 

Motherwell look rotten, feel they’ve got a big few weeks ahead as they look pretty hopeless. 

I see Lee Johnson has called us out on our time-wasting, on top of it being apparent from the start yesterday. Haven't seen the full replay but told Montgomery took about 30 seconds at a throw after about 4 or 5 minutes.

Only way they will even attempt to stop this is if referee's start adding English Premier League levels of injury time. 

Saints had the ball for 17 minutes against Hibernian. How is that entertaining? 

6 hours ago, Kyle said:

Thought we played well first half, we looked dangerous and were the better side. Murphy showed his worth and thought we actually won the midfield battle for the first time since McCann left. 

Motherwell look rotten, feel they’ve got a big few weeks ahead as they look pretty hopeless. 

Not wanting to entirely piss on yer corn flakes but when you’re up against a midfield three of Spittal, Goss and Barry fuckin Maguire for half a game if you lose that battle then you’re in deep trouble. 

Absolutely spot on with your final point though. 

27 minutes ago, Radford said:

I see Lee Johnson has called us out on our time-wasting, on top of it being apparent from the start yesterday. Haven't seen the full replay but told Montgomery took about 30 seconds at a throw after about 4 or 5 minutes.

Only way they will even attempt to stop this is if referee's start adding English Premier League levels of injury time. 

Whilst I agree, right now it’s a results driven business for us and not an entertainment business. 

5 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Whilst I agree, right now it’s a results driven business for us and not an entertainment business. 

When does it stop though? If we (somehow) move away from the bottom it likely becomes about top six. So when does the entertaining part kick in? The final half-dozen games, when our pitch will be shit and the players just want to go on their holidays or sort of contracts here or elsewhere? 

Maybe a bigger league would help, I don't know, but I hate the attitude so many teams approach games with now. At least Collum added some time yesterday though. Still remember at St Mirren in February, them ripping the absolute piss and we actually couldn't find a football at one point... Then the referee adds two minutes. You are just enabling it. 

2 hours ago, Radford said:

When you are the poorer team then time wasting is an obvious tactic. Especially if you are winning or drawing with a few minutes to go. Every side does it.  But what got me about St Johnstone was that it is started very early in the game. A game against a manager less Motherwell with a bomb scare CB pairing and dysfunctional midfield and attack.

Most of your fans are on here stating how poor we are. So why did the St Johnstone players and management try to slow the game down at every opportunity. It was the closest I have seen to a foreign team in terms of every player needing treatment for virtually every tackle.

As to us. Sickener losing in that fashion, but truth is we deserved very little last week possibly a draw at best and possibly a draw this week. Two points when we have three. Silver linings and all that.

I can take heart that we played well in spells especially in the 2nd half. With a new Manager and the addition of 4 or 5 players then we will get a better view of how our season will unfold. Still expect to be fighting out at the bottom of the league but with more of a chance it not being 11th and 12th. 

3 hours ago, Radford said:

Haven't seen the full replay but told Montgomery took about 30 seconds at a throw after about 4 or 5 minutes.

I’m not so sure that was timewasting, in fairness. It’s a strange gripe, but we look like we’ve not a clue from throw-ins. So frustratingly static, before inevitably just launching it up the line

Edited by PSJ.84

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

When you are the poorer team then time wasting is an obvious tactic. Especially if you are winning or drawing with a few minutes to go. Every side does it.  But what got me about St Johnstone was that it is started very early in the game. A game against a manager less Motherwell with a bomb scare CB pairing and dysfunctional midfield and attack.

Most of your fans are on here stating how poor we are. So why did the St Johnstone players and management try to slow the game down at every opportunity. It was the closest I have seen to a foreign team in terms of every player needing treatment for virtually every tackle.

Does that really need answered? The man has one plan, and if that doesn’t work? Just keep trying it. Motherwell had us pinned right in, and were totally dominating, so you could see the game was crying out for change - whether that be shape or different types of players. What does he do? Ali fucking Crawford. The first half gives me hope that we have a team there and the players are of a decent enough standard, the second half reminded me of the management. 

15 hours ago, Costanza said:

Felt Montgomery threatened to drive forward on numerous occasions but would inevitably stop and then pass the ball back to Considine. No doubt that is on instruction of manager. There was loads of space on his side in the second half but we weren't interested in exploiting it.

Enjoyed scoring a late winner, you have to really, but that second half was abysmal from us, putting Crawford on just summed it up as @Radford said. What was  the managers thinking behind that? Offered us absolutely nothing, at least MOH would be an out ball of some kind.

Pretty galling to hear Allan Preston on the radio afterwards describe how he embraced Davidson at the end.

Why?They probably pals and they are ex team mates. don't see the problem 

6 hours ago, mizfit said:

When does the entertainment start then? If it’s not at the beginning of a new season after we’ve made 10 signings then I’d suggest never. Appreciate results are more important and if we win more of then Davidson rightly feel vindicated, but if results don’t go our way he puts himself under even more pressure as we’re back to losing matches and playing horrible football again. Hopefully he can find a blend that wins and can at least border something close to entertainment, but the only change I see so far is we’re far more cynical a dude than we were last season. 

3 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

I’m not so sure that was timewasting, in fairness. It’s a strange gripe, but we look like we’ve not a clue from throw-ins. So frustratingly static, before inevitably just launching it up the line

This is what I feel. We’ve been poor at throw ins for years, it’s like we don’t work on any options other than in previous years Shaughnessy/ Rooney would launch them into the box from anywhere in the  top quarter of the pitch.

We often seem to wait ages for the opposition to get set up before the thrower complains at a lack of options.

3 hours ago, THE FAT MAN said:

Why?They probably pals and they are ex team mates. don't see the problem 

I think Preston has far too much of an influence in who we sign and uses the club for his own gain regularly by feeding stories to the media about interest in his players.  He shouldn't be part of the radio coverage for various reasons but not least his obvious conflict of interest covering players he represents.  I don't think the relationship he has with our manager is healthy for the club at all.  Therefore I didn't like hearing his giddiness about embracing CD in the corridor after the game as it just cemented those feelings.  

52 minutes ago, Costanza said:

I think Preston has far too much of an influence in who we sign and uses the club for his own gain regularly by feeding stories to the media about interest in his players.  He shouldn't be part of the radio coverage for various reasons but not least his obvious conflict of interest covering players he represents.  I don't think the relationship he has with our manager is healthy for the club at all.  Therefore I didn't like hearing his giddiness about embracing CD in the corridor after the game as it just cemented those feelings.  

don't see the issue myself