Motherwell v St Johnstone 6/8/22

A very good 3 points.

I thought first half we were good. MacPherson was playing really well and we tried to pass the ball far more.

But then second half we reverted to type. Just sit in and hope the opposition don’t score.  That was crying out for a tactical change as Motherwell were strolling through at will and all we could do was hump the ball up the park.

The equaliser wasn’t entirely unexpected. You can’t just sit and let the opposition have it all half and not expect them to get a break in front of goal.  The fact that it’s a fairly rancid motherwell team kept us ahead for so long.

If we’d looked to keep the ball and create more I think we could have had a more comfortable second half.

Brilliant anticipation, brave and a tidy finish from Stevie May, good on him.

In fairness I think our defence has looked decent in both games, especially considering the gk and back 5 have all just signed this summer.  Really like the look of Mitchell, and thought McGowan had a good game.  Not so sure about Montgomery.

Carey has some great wee touches, would enjoy seeing him play in behind a striker to get him more involved.

A good 3 points gained on clubs likely to be around us who all lost; killie, County, St Mirren and Motherwell.

Absolutely brutal game to watch, zero quality on show from either side. St Johnstone quite cynical in their diving and fucking about but credit where its due, they rode out of town with the points in the bag.

From a Motherwell point of view, the lack of quality in that shower of shite Alexander has left behind is frightening. Morris offered nothing, Shields I thought would come good but, hitting the post aside, he floundered yet again. Spittal - jury's out. Then we come to Joe Efford.... deary fucking me, what a complete and utter fucking huddy. Absolutely clueless. With the squad as it stands we really are in trouble. 

2 games in and got the fear already.

37 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Cracks papered over.

Haven't caught up with thread yet but this exactly. A last minute winner should be a pure rush but the manager had already drained my soul with his approach in the final 10-15 minutes.

Got exactly what he deserved with the equaliser before the players showed they have the character to do well under a better manager.

53 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Pass marks for us are Mitchell again and Montgomery who I was very negative about last week but really enjoyed seeing him constantly trying to drive forward despite the boss. 

Terminate the contracts of the old four today imho, even with the well taken goal

Hard to please.

Motherwell look more doomed than us tbh. A team stuffed full of absolute chancers that aren’t good enough for this level - Efford, Goss, Morris (dreadful), Shields, Mugabi, Maguire in particular. It says it all about Callum Davidson that he thought Alexander was doing a good job.

I think we actually have some decent players by contrast, but it can’t be sustainable that we’re looking for them to do well in spite of the coach who sets them up. Very happy with Mitchell, Wright, MacPherson today, everyone else did well enough but for second week running I thought we looked really vulnerable down the left hand side. Not sure about the front three as a unit yet and think system is hindering all three, but in flashes they all look alright, Murphy and Bair did well for the goal. We need more options up there that aren’t Ali Crawford out of position.

We were clearly a level above Motherwell and should have chased the second goal, played high up the pitch and controlled the game. Abandoning any effort to play football in favour of sitting in and going for direct long balls on the counter for an entire second half instead.. was very predictable. We’re going to lose almost every lead we earn this season if that’s the tactic.

3 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Motherwell look more doomed than us tbh. A team stuffed full of absolute chancers that aren’t good enough for this level - Efford, Goss, Morris (dreadful), Shields, Mugabi, Maguire in particular. 

Maybe it's the level my expectations have dropped to but I thought Goss was one of the only ones who actually looked like a footballer

Really like the early look of Alex Mitchell, so much so I wouldn't expect him to be here past January. The defensive unit generally looks alright (he says, aware we go to Ibrox next week) but Hallberg and MacPherson would both benefit from a ratter beside them. Maybe that's Phillips. Both are comfortable on the ball and MacPherson needs to maintain at least this standard.

Would like to see Carey try to get more involved but that might come. Hope Murphy doesn't end up like Middleton last season as a square peg.

Bair worried me again first half but showed a little bit more in his 25 minutes after the break. Still not really any clearer if there is a player in there.

May for Bair is what it is but the Crawford changed defied belief. Would LOVE to know why the manager thought that was what we needed. No physical presence, no pace and no out, what was our approach in those closing stages?

Should try to enjoy the points, I suppose...

I felt Bair looked a lot more composed than last week. 

Agree on Mitchell, part of me thinks he’ll be away in January if he continues that level of performance. Just a rock at the back. 

Macpherson showed something today, I’m his biggest critic but I felt he was starting to click. We do need a bit of bite in midfield too. 

I thought the equaliser was well deserved so to then lose it it a few minutes later was a bit of a kick in the teeth. It was a pretty even game with not much in it. Saints shaded the first half and Motherwell the second. Saints shouldn’t have sat in as much as they did in the second half.

I think any potential new manager watching that would think he has something to work with. But there are areas that badly need addressed. We are badly needing wide players on both flanks and a striker to compete with KVV. SOD did ok at left back but it’s another area we are weak.

Maguire, Mugabi, Efford, and Morris to name a few just aren’t good enough at this level.

I don’t understand letting Woolery go. We badly needed someone with pace in attack today. Shields and Morris (from what I’ve seen so far) are massive downgrades.

If we couldn’t turn down the money on offer then hopefully we’ll see that money reinvested into the playing squad in the next couple of weeks. If not, we’re in for a really tough season.

49 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Motherwell look more doomed than us tbh. A team stuffed full of absolute chancers that aren’t good enough for this level - Efford, Goss, Morris (dreadful), Shields, Mugabi, Maguire in particular. It says it all about Callum Davidson that he thought Alexander was doing a good job.

We were clearly a level above Motherwell and should have chased the second goal, played high up the pitch and controlled the game.

Not sure about this based on what I saw. Even if poor 1st half. Yes St Johnstone may have shaded it. But it was one way traffic for most of the second half. St Johnstone (understandably) were time wasting at every opportunity. Every player tackled was injured. 1 minute to take a couple of throw ins. 

Nah. St Johnstone were every bit as poor as us. 

Pass marks for McGinn and possibly Goss. Credit to Hammell for making correct changes at the right time. Maguire does what he does best. Very little. Spittal was also poor. I actually thought Efford was OK when he came on. Was expecting more from Tierney.

Ah well. Another shite result. No surprise. To lose a game after scoring in injury time is almost unforgivable. But just shows we have a spineless soft bunch. Only so much Hammell can do. Clearly he is p1ssed off in his interview. Understandably so…

Edited by welldaft

18 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Not sure about this based on what I saw. Even if poor 1st half. Yes St Johnstone may have shaded it. But it was one way traffic for most of the second half. St Johnstone (understandably) were time wasting at every opportunity. Every player tackled was injured. 1 minute to take a couple of throw ins. 

Nah. St Johnstone were every bit as poor as us. 

Pass marks for McGinn and possibly Goss. Credit to Hammell for making correct changes at the right time. Maguire does what he does best. Very little. Spittal was also poor. I actually thought Efford was OK when he came on. Was expecting more from Tierney.

Ah well. Another shite result. No surprise. 

On the same page with most of what you say and was also expecting a bit more from Tierney, lack of game time might do that to a guy though, I suppose. Got to disagree on Efford though.

I was watching a stream at home due to having the 'rona, and may have had the benefit of seeing replays of some of his involvement, but to me he offered nothing and was just wasteful and frustrating.

The number of stupid fouls he squeezed into 45mins was ridiculous. I know the St J players were going down cheaply at times but you've got to grow wise to that and limit their opportunities to do so, but some amount of the ones he gave away were purely down to bad judgement and being rash. He also has a terrific knack of taking the pace out of attacks. There was one instance where, between him and SOD they contrived to slow down a semi-promising break, then lose the ball completely through shite basic communication. In the situation they were in, as the attacker he should have been taking control of the ball and trying to drive forward. He just has no footballing brain whatsoever and just blunders blindly around the top end of the pitch.

Incase you're wondering, he's not for me!!.

33 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

There was one instance where, between him and SOD they contrived to slow down a semi-promising break, then lose the ball completely through shite basic communication.

In O'Donnell's defence, he told him exactly what to do, which he then ignored. If he hadn't been there at all he'd have been more use, literally not being there, instead of getting in the way.

Skins the fullback, gets it out of his feet, goal gaping, stands still long enough to get tackled. Dumpling. 

Both teams poor today. Thought a draw would have been a fair result, St. J better in the 1st half and Well stronger 2nd half but wasteful.

Goss annoys me to no end and I've been quite vocal about wanted him bammed out of the team in the past. But he was alright today to be fair and looks immediately better when coached by someone who understands his limitations, that he is incapable of covering ground in a midfield 3. Let him ping balls about, focus on set pieces and act as more of a sitting midfielder and he'll do as a squad player.

Thought SOD also put in a good shift despite having almost no preseason. McGinn and big Sol were decent too, Cornelius at least played with a bit of passion and energy. But not much to be enthusiastic about beyond that.

I want Maguire to do well as he came through our academy. But he finished last season poorly and has been absolute murder so far this year. I don't see how he can develop further now that we're 4 seasons and nearly 70 first team appearances on from his debut.

I appreciate that Hammell was brutally honest about the issues in the squad post match vs. Alexander's approach to media questions. The phrase 'it's clear what we're lacking' was pretty telling.