Motherwell v St Johnstone 6/8/22

Remi

Wright McGowan Mitchell Brown  Mahon Gordon Trialist Considine Montgomery

May   

Motherwell 0  St Johnstone -1

Feel like we’ve had quite a few high scoring matches with Motherwell over the years.

Would be surprised if this one goes along those lines, unless Motherwell score early and our players’ already fragile confidence evaporates further and we get a pumping.

Difficult to see where any attacking threat from us will come from.

5 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

To win a game you have to score a goal and to do that you generally have to get somewhere near the opposition’s penalty area. We don’t really look capable of that just now so it’s really just a case of whether Motherwell score or not.

Hold our pint wid yi

I definitely think this game will happen.

The managerial candidates will leave at half time and go get pished at Jack Daniels and joke about the bullet dodged, then hear the news of Davidson's firing and laugh even more.

Van Veen will get a yellow card.

My ambition for the first two games of any season is to get some thing on the board, even a goal in a 2-1 defeat.  Going into the third game with zero positives in the league table can be depressing.

Last week I was as delighted with the fact that we had scored as the fact that it led to 3 points.

I wouldn’t wish this ignominy on St Johnstone, I will revise my prediction to a 2-1 home victory which will exceed everyone’s expectations.

6 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Feel like we’ve had quite a few high scoring matches with Motherwell over the years.

There has NEVER been a 0-0 between the teams at Fir Park.

Motherwell at least have something to look forward to here given they've emptied their manager and won last week. 

Nothing here for Saints and we have Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts next. Will need check the last time a team has taken no points from their first five games.

One bright spot last week was Alex Mitchell, so fully expect him to be dropped tomorrow to restore a half-fit Liam Gordon. 

Are we taking bets? More of less than 5 touches of the ball in the Motherwell box? Higher or lower? 

Hopefully the chairman is enjoying his extended holiday. 

Neither team looks capable of scoring goals. Neither team looks capable of keeping a clean sheet. Unless Hammell is some sort of managerial genius then it’ll be 1-0 to whatever team capitalises on the other team’s mistakes first.

6 hours ago, AdamMFC said:

Trying to stay positive about this, 2-1 with Efford getting the winner by the ball deflecting off his knee and him having no clue about it.

Also FWIW, Collum is the ref.

Some entertainment on offer then at least.

9 minutes ago, Widge said:

The real question is, what minute with Paul McGinn inevitably score against us in?

Think he's out. He had a nasty Head injury during the St Mirren game so I'm not sure if we are even going to risk it. 

Motherwell have, up til now, been a team that has struggled to score.  This game is the ideal opportunity to move away from the 3 centre backs and put a bit more emphasis on getting forward.

Mitchell looks mobile and capable of defending as part of a CH pairing, as long as Gordon is fully fit.

We won’t, but something along the lines of:

Matthews

Brown Gordon Mitchell Montgomery

McGowan

Wright MacPherson Hallberg Carey

May

Need to get a foothold in midfield, and get far more possession.  Carey, Wright, Hallberg all like to get forward to support.  Brown staying back more as he’s solid defensively. Left side could be got at but        Couldn’t think of anyone else.

12 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Motherwell have, up til now, been a team that has struggled to score.  This game is the ideal opportunity to move away from the 3 centre backs and put a bit more emphasis on getting forward.

Mitchell looks mobile and capable of defending as part of a CH pairing, as long as Gordon is fully fit.

We won’t, but something along the lines of:

Matthews

Brown Gordon Mitchell Montgomery

McGowan

Wright MacPherson Hallberg Carey

May

Need to get a foothold in midfield, and get far more possession.  Carey, Wright, Hallberg all like to get forward to support.  Brown staying back more as he’s solid defensively. Left side could be got at but        Couldn’t think of anyone else.

I quite like that, although despite being relatively poor against Hibs I'd like to see Murphy in the team. 

On that left hand side, maybe Considine could fit in there and Montgomery could play on the wing, where (as I understand it) he's supposed to, or leave Carey there. 

If he could hold his positional discipline MacPherson might work in front of the CBs, unless McGowan has played that position?

Wow! Have 2 sets of supporters ever gone into a game with such low expectations?

I suppose the only positive from a Motherwell perspective is that we ditched the manager and somehow managed to smuggle 3 points out of Paisley last week.

I like the fact that this fixture has never finished 0-0 at Fir Park.

So for that reason Im gonna predict 0-0!

😝