D*ck waving to despair - Whose fans' hopes will crash and burn?

4 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Teams with worse squads outperform better ones every season.

Not many teams would choose the squads Livi have had over the past few years but Martindale does a great job.

Really, a lot of our players have gone to bigger clubs so i wouldn't agree with you. Halkett, Gallagher, dear knows how many Motherwell have had, Kelly, Gallagher, Lamie are 3 that have done well  (no pun intended) to excellent for them, Dykes to QPR and a Scotland call up, Anderson despite missing about 9 games was only 2 goals behind the Premiership's top scorer, Forrest has signed for Hearts, and i'd imagine a few teams would love Nouble. That;s off the top of my head without thinking too much about other players. 

Martindale hasn't just done well getting the best out of players, he's signed some gems that have went on to do well for bigger teams, this season there is Devlin, Penrice, Anderson, Nouble, Fitzwater, Holt and Omeonga that could easily play for the bigger clubs outside the erse cheeks.  

7 hours ago, coprolite said:

Apart from the three we sold for money. 

I don't think we had a very good squad btw. It had some decent players but was hugely unbalanced. Also, it's hard to argue that a squad with Jack Gurr in it is decent. 

Yeah, I don’t agree with @Merkland Red tbh. I thought our squad was average at the time and in hindsight very poor. 

The jambos could’ve just made that argument though and not cried about the mere mention of over achieving. 

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yeah, I don’t agree with @Merkland Red tbh. I thought our squad was average at the time and in hindsight very poor. 

The jambos could’ve just made that argument though and not cried about the mere mention of over achieving. 

They're very sensitive.  I think it's insecurity/ imposter syndrome. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Regardless of that, did you look at Hearts squad and think it was any better?

9 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Yeah I think it was. They had a better keeper, certainly a better back line and arguably in the forward areas too. 

Without doubt in the second half of the season with McKay, Boyce, simms etc they had far more potent than anything we had in an attacking threat. 

36 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Aberdeen had a decent first team, but as soon as the wider squad was tested we quickly saw the problems.

Hertz are going to experience the same problem this year. They are a Craig Gordon injury from a worse season than ours last year.

19 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

If you looked at the Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs squads from last season then I don't think anyone could realistically say any was miles better than the other two.

Not so sure about that myself. If we consider that the likes of Gordon, Kingsley, Souttar, Halkett, Baningime, McKay and Simms would've all arguably been first choice for Aberdeen last season, then I think it's hard to argue against the fact that Hearts had a better squad.

Then add in the likes of Haring, Boyce, Devlin and Cochrane as players to make up the squad I'd say it was quite clear.

Just now, Don exotic said:

Aberdeen had a decent first team, but as soon as the wider squad was tested we quickly saw the problems.

Hertz are going to experience the same problem this year. They are a Craig Gordon injury from a worse season than ours last year.

Would agree with this.

2 minutes ago, Don exotic said:

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Would agree with this.

UNICEF Child Protection on Twitter: "🙏🏿✨Our New Year's Wish: PROTECTION  FOR ALL CHILDREN! Learn more about how we plan to contribute to making this  wish come true 👉🏿👀: https://t.co/mhJz67DwAl #ChildProtection  #EndViolence https://t.co/RClqfpYIl2" /

Absolutely rattled 😀

1 minute ago, AJF said:

Not so sure about that myself. If we consider that the likes of Gordon, Kingsley, Souttar, Halkett, Baningime, McKay and Simms would've all arguably been first choice for Aberdeen last season, then I think it's hard to argue against the fact that Hearts had a better squad.

Then add in the likes of Haring, Boyce, Devlin and Cochrane as players to make up the squad I'd say it was quite clear.

Simms joined Hearts in January.

Baningine was an unknown. Class player.

Souttar, Halkett and McKay hardly tore up the league the last time they were in it.

Gordon is Gordon. No argument there.

I'm not disputing that Hearts deserved third at all. I'm saying it's not a squad anyone was getting excited about prior to the season beginning.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Simms joined Hearts in January.

Baningine was an unknown. Class player.

Souttar, Halkett and McKay hardly tore up the league the last time they were in it.

Gordon is Gordon. No argument there.

I'm not disputing that Hearts deserved third at all. I'm saying it's not a squad anyone was getting excited about prior to the season beginning.

I'm not sure why it would matter when he joined if he is a higher quality player than any Aberdeen forward.

Similarly with Baningime being an unknown, he would still slot into the Aberdeen starting 11.

I think people know the ability the likes of Souttar, Halkett and McKay possess which would have them ahead of the likes of Gallagher, Bates, Ojo, McLennan, Jenks etc.

Maybe I am understanding what you meant differently than it was intended. I thought you meant looking back retrospectively you don't think the Hearts squad was any better, rather than you didn't think it was any better at the time which is what I now think you mean.

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

I'm not sure why it would matter when he joined if he is a higher quality player than any Aberdeen forward.

Similarly with Baningime being an unknown, he would still slot into the Aberdeen starting 11.

I think people know the ability the likes of Souttar, Halkett and McKay possess which would have them ahead of the likes of Gallagher, Bates, Ojo, McLennan, Jenks etc.

Maybe I am understanding what you meant differently than it was intended. I thought you meant looking back retrospectively you don't think the Hearts squad was any better, rather than you didn't think it was any better at the time which is what I now think you mean.

Sounds like you are. We were talking about how the squads looked at the start of the season and in my opinion neither Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs had a squad that was far superior to the other.

McKay is a good player, but I wouldn't have him ahead of Hedges for example. Never a fan of Gallagher but he'd arrived from a Euros squad that Souttar and Halkett weren't a part of.

If you gave Neilson that Aberdeen squad at the beginning of the season, it never finishes 10th.

26 minutes ago, Don exotic said:

Ross Stewart is our backup goalkeeper, we're a Craig Gordon injury away from certain relegation 

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Sounds like you are. We were talking about how the squads looked at the start of the season and in my opinion neither Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs had a squad that was far superior to the other.

McKay is a good player, but I wouldn't have him ahead of Hedges for example. Never a fan of Gallagher but he'd arrived from a Euros squad that Souttar and Halkett weren't a part of.

If you gave Neilson that Aberdeen squad at the beginning of the season, it never finishes 10th.

That's fair then, when I read "If you looked at the Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs squads from last season..." I just assumed you were looking back on them as a whole rather than at a specific point in time, apologies.

I wouldn't argue strongly against Hedges being in there instead of McKay, but Hedges is only one player and McKay would still get in the Aberdeen team ahead of any other attacking/wide players, in my opinion.

It's hard not to look at it retrospectively and take into account the vastly differing seasons the clubs had. Maybe that clouds the judgement a bit, but I still think I'd be choosing the Hearts squad over the Aberdeen one every time.

50 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

So, you're just saying people were wrong then? Including yourself.

It's quite funny to see a supporter of a side that finished tenth in an absolutely shite league insist that his team's squad was actually good.

The Billy Big Bawsness of some Aberdeen fans takes a real hit when they're miles worse than Hearts. Very enjoyable.

22 minutes ago, AJF said:

That's fair then, when I read "If you looked at the Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs squads from last season..." I just assumed you were looking back on them as a whole rather than at a specific point in time, apologies.

I wouldn't argue strongly against Hedges being in there instead of McKay, but Hedges is only one player and McKay would still get in the Aberdeen team ahead of any other attacking/wide players, in my opinion.

It's hard not to look at it retrospectively and take into account the vastly differing seasons the clubs had. Maybe that clouds the judgement a bit, but I still think I'd be choosing the Hearts squad over the Aberdeen one every time.

That's fair enough, no argument from me.

My point was just nobody looked at it at the beginning of the season and said Hearts are 20 points better than Aberdeen. If I recall correctly, everyone expected third to be a close ran thing. I'm sure the premiership predictor on here would reflect that.

12 hours ago, Don exotic said:

I expect Hertz to do poorly this year. They don't have the squad to play in Europe and the league. The injuries will come and they will struggle.

Let's see who we buy before the end of the transfer window. But if we don't get at least 3-4 more decent players in, there's no doubt we'll struggle to finish third.

13 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

Let's see who we buy before the end of the transfer window. But if we don't get at least 3-4 more decent players in, there's no doubt we'll struggle to finish third.

I think it's going to be interesting to see what our strategy is with this.

There's a reasonable case to be made for keeping our powder dry for next season and having a bit of a spend next summer, but if the club think Europe plus third again is realistic this season (I don't think I do) then we will definitely need more numbers in.

Those ITK seem to reckon there's a big signing coming if we win our EL qualifier, but I always take these things with a pinch of salt.

22 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

So, you're just saying people were wrong then? Including yourself.

It's quite funny to see a supporter of a side that finished tenth in an absolutely shite league insist that his team's squad was actually good.

The Billy Big Bawsness of some Aberdeen fans takes a real hit when they're miles worse than Hearts. Very enjoyable.

You just established that he admitted he was wrong about our squad then immediately claimed he’s insisting the squad was actually good. 

Hearts have a weird insecurity about Aberdeen, even when they’re better than us. 

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You just established that he admitted he was wrong about our squad then immediately claimed he’s insisting the squad was actually good. 

Hearts have a weird insecurity about Aberdeen, even when they’re better than us. 

Aberdeen FC is the sporting embodiment of a petted lip.