FA Cup 2022/23

Eednud

Eight weeks since last season’s Final the FA Cup for 2022/23 gets underway this weekend with 416 clubs and 208 ties in the Extra Preliminary Round. 9 games on Friday, 190 on Saturday finishing with 9 on Sunday. Jersey Bulls withdrew prior to the draw being replaced by Hilltop FC. Jersey Bulls trying to avoid a fixture backlog by focusing on promotion and the FA Vase. Only eleven level 10 clubs in the draw with one guaranteed a place in the Preliminary Round as Warminster Town meet Andover New Street. No mention yet of what game BBC will stream, if any.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62283854

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62283858

Fixtures and kick-off times here:

https://www.thefa.com/competitions/thefacup/fixtures

I've decided to pick a tie and team at random (using a custom dice rolling app) to cheer for in this round.  If the team in question loses I must cheer for the team that beat them in the next round (and so on and so-forth)

My 208 sided virtual die has rolled a 185 and then the roll for home vs away will see me cheer for the delightfully named Baffins Milton Rovers in their all-Hampshire struggle with Alton tomorrow night

MON THE BAFFINS!

A few level 10 clubs still in it. Already through are Andover New Street 2-0:away winners over level 10 Warminster Town, Newport (IOW) 3-1 win away to Fleet Town (9), Wincanton Town 6-2 away win at Tadley Calleva (9), Calleva was the name of a nearby Roman settlement and the best result Brixham winning 3-2 away to level 8 Tavistock. Replay for Radford after 1-1 away at Anstey Nomads (9). Shaftesbury (9) v Camberley Town (9) was abandoned due to a serious injury to a Camberley player and Athletic Newham (9) v Sheppey United (8) postponed as pitch unsafe. Biggest win 9-2 for Leighton Town (9) against Baldock Town (9), biggest away win 0-7 Hereford Pegasus (7) v Stourport Swifts (9). If my eyes worked correctly 39 ties ended in draws.

There's nothing like the early rounds of the FA Cup to confirm exactly what the BBC think of Scottish football as you keep scrolling down through about 7500 qualifying round fixtures to get to the Scottish Championship. Hereford Lads Club, Horsham YMCA, Punjab United and Bemerton Heath Harlequins > Partick, Dundee, Falkirk et al. 

44 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

There's nothing like the early rounds of the FA Cup to confirm exactly what the BBC think of Scottish football as you keep scrolling down through about 7500 qualifying round fixtures to get to the Scottish Championship. Hereford Lads Club, Horsham YMCA, Punjab United and Bemerton Heath Harlequins > Partick, Dundee, Falkirk et al. 

All that scrolling, you must be worn out.

I don't care which order the results come in, but I do love the FA cup and checking out all the wee places that get entering. Same with the other countries cups.

On 08/08/2022 at 21:20, Sergeant Wilson said:

All that scrolling, you must be worn out.

I don't care which order the results come in, but I do love the FA cup and checking out all the wee places that get entering. Same with the other countries cups.

Like Mousehole AFC drawing 1-1 away to Barnstaple Town. 

ETA: Replay Mousehole AFC eked out a 3-2 win aet.

Edited by Eednud

In last night’s replays the fan based Bury AFC won their first FA Cup tie defeating Hallam 1-0 at home. Newhaven beat Canterbury City 10-0, the highest score of the round. The postponed game and then abandoned game both ended in draws on Tuesday so replays early next week. 

It’s Preliminary Round weekend with 136 ties including one televised as @The Naitch has posted above. Five ties tonight, six on Sunday and the rest tomorrow. Four level 10 clubs involved, Camberley Town (9) v Wincanton Town (10), Westbury United (8) v Andover New Street (10), AFC Stoneham (9) v Newport (IOW) (10) and Shepton Mallet (9) v Brixham (10) all on Saturday. If my count is correct there are 38 all level 9:ties.

Don’t bother going to Reading City (9) on Saturday for some nosh as they’re away to Royal Wootton Bassett Town (9)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62476743

• 2 weeks later...

We’re up to the First Qualifying Round this weekend with 88 level 7 entering for a total of 224 clubs and 112 ties. The lowest ranked side is Wincanton Town from level 10 and they are at home to AFC Totton (8). Welsh side Merthyr Town (7) meet Truro City (7) at home. The BBC game at 12.30 on Saturday is Bury AFC (9) v North Shields (8). A few all level 9 ties Anstey Nomads v Whitchurch Alport, Atherstone Town v Kimberley Miners Welfare, Lichfield City v Stourport Swifts, Dunstable Town v Shefford Town & Campston, Phoenix Sports v Rusthall, Fisher v Spelthorne Sports, Blackfield & Langley v Shepton Mallet, Torpoint Athletic v Heston Athletic (wiki has both plus Shepton Mallet listed as level 10 but this is a typo as level 9 last round).

Four ties tonight, 2 Sunday and the rest tomorrow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62650884 (this has already been posted by @Jacksgranda in another forum.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62617058 (his team lost 0-2 in the last round)