Clubs Are Taking The Piss Thread

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/stewart-gilmour-defends-league-reconstruction-veto-1579207

St Mirren voted against a 9-3 voting system too.

Edit - should add the 9-3 was for league reconstruction decisions.

It was a shit proposal that Milne was in favour of and he publicly tried to ridicule Gilmour.

And your point is Stewart?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/moves-to-change-spl-voting-structure-1393897

“SPL clubs have delayed moves to introduce a new top-flight voting structure after Aberdeen joined forces with Celtic in blocking the path to change.

A motion was put forward at yesterday’s SPL board meeting to ditch the current 11-1 majority needed for major decisions with some clubs keen to see a new 9-3 voting system introduced on all issues.”

One of the most Tin Pot decisions ever made by a non-OF club chairman. Shame on you Stewart. 

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

It’s not pie in the sky though. Other countries such as Germany manage to offer cheap tickets to football games. The standard of their game is elite and it wouldn’t appear there has been any trade off of standards for fan experience.

I’m not sure why you and other Saints fans laud the under 12s go free offer as some sort ground breaking deal. It’s good offer I’ll agree, but what happens when kids grow up and their parents can’t take them for free anymore? What happens when teenagers want to go to games with their mates instead and have to cough up the asking price? They ditch the going to the football in favour of other activities because, as if by magic, the appeal of sitting in a half empty McDiarmid Park - but this time having to pay for it - is lost on them. We’re trying to compete with the #barclays and the Old Firm on our screens almost every evening now - never mind every Saturday. It’s not enough to hope that we’ll build our fan base because bairns can go for free if their willing parents take them.

I would honestly trade the current quality of football for a lesser quality league if it meant all Scottish top flight/championship grounds were 3/4 full on match days. I believe full stadiums and good atmospheres would help to market our game better in the long run.

Why do you think that would be?

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

It’s not pie in the sky though. Other countries such as Germany manage to offer cheap tickets to football games. The standard of their game is elite and it wouldn’t appear there has been any trade off of standards for fan experience.

I’m not sure why you and other Saints fans laud the under 12s go free offer as some sort ground breaking deal. It’s good offer I’ll agree, but what happens when kids grow up and their parents can’t take them for free anymore? What happens when teenagers want to go to games with their mates instead and have to cough up the asking price? They ditch the going to the football in favour of other activities because, as if by magic, the appeal of sitting in a half empty McDiarmid Park - but this time having to pay for it - is lost on them. We’re trying to compete with the #barclays and the Old Firm on our screens almost every evening now - never mind every Saturday. It’s not enough to hope that we’ll build our fan base because bairns can go for free if their willing parents take them.

I would honestly trade the current quality of football for a lesser quality league if it meant all Scottish top flight/championship grounds were 3/4 full on match days. I believe full stadiums and good atmospheres would help to market our game better in the long run.

I don’t think Germany is a good comparison, because ticket sales are a small fraction of their income.  Bundeliga clubs make a lot more from tv, sponsorship, merchandising etc than most of our clubs can ever dream of.

I get your point about the under 12 deal but disagree. For a family to get to come along for £40 or whatever then that’s great, it gets kids into watching and supporting their local team. 

Is the issue that people can’t afford it, or that they perceive it to not be worth the cost?  Let’s be honest, if Saints were winning every week playing great football, and top of the league, most of us would find the money/ cut back somewhere else, and we’d be playing in front of far bigger crowds, even at the current price.

St Mirren have a history of voting in self interest too.
I didn't agree with Milne's decision, but I understand why. He's explained it was due to the previous nightmare with Setanta.
That's another discussion for another thread.
We have a new board in place who are all about fan engagement and 'enhancing the matchday experience'. 
Someone would have to explain the benefits of Aberdeen reducing the ticket price for away fans by £8.

The benefit is that Aberdeen fans, the people your club are supposed to represent, would have access to away games at cheaper prices.

Yes. Which our club will see no financial benefit from.

A football club should exist to serve its supporters first and foremost, loyalty and support works both ways. The club will no doubt be out with the begging bowl to the council and claiming to be a community asset when it wants public funding for the new stadium. If it wants to be a community asset it has to act like one.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

A football club should exist to serve its supporters first and foremost, loyalty and support works both ways. The club will no doubt be out with the begging bowl to the council and claiming to be a community asset when it wants public funding for the new stadium. If it wants to be a community asset it has to act like one.

Yes, that is how it should work Craig.

I think we all know it's a non-starter though.

22 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Most clubs mean accessing the community's money when the word community crops up. Whether that's via funding, sponsors or just directly from supporters.

There's very little altruism in football.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Most clubs mean accessing the community's money when the word community crops up. Whether that's via funding, sponsors or just directly from supporters.

There's very little altruism in football.

Times are changing. Many Clubs are now heavily involved in the community. I am not singling out my club as special but am referring to it as I know what they do. We have a charity foundation and a member of staff running it. Are having a team in the Kilt Walk next month to raise funds for local charities. The supporters sponsor season tickets to be used by various groups that cannot afford to attend games. We run fitness sessions for those needing/wanting to lose weight. We run a dementia support group. Have walking football sessions for those not so fit anymore. Have Street football coaching for local kids (1200 kids). The Club and supporters help with funding for a women's team and 4 girls teams at various levels. We have free pre-match entertainment for kids (bouncy castles, face painting etc). Last Home game we gave out free tickets to local Ukrainian families. We have regular Food Bank collections. Free Xmas meals in the stadium for those on their own. We are partly owned by the Kibble - one of Scotland's largest charities to help young people and young folk can get work experience at the Club (hospitality, maintenance etc). Our website has a Community section for latest community news.

As I previously commented many Clubs run similar initiatives. These things were unheard of 20 years ago.

On 11/08/2022 at 13:12, jamamafegan said:

It’s not pie in the sky though. Other countries such as Germany manage to offer cheap tickets to football games. The standard of their game is elite and it wouldn’t appear there has been any trade off of standards for fan experience.e better in the long run.

Ticket prices are dirt cheap, you also get free / vastly reduced train cost between towns allowing away fans to be both green and numerous - helping atmospheres and selling the game better for TV.

On 11/08/2022 at 15:34, Merkland Red said:

Why do you think that would be?

Yep, its very clear that in other leagues, the commercial deals struck by clubs and the leagues allow for football to be a sport which is priced within the reach of pretty much all fans.

Scottish crowds - per head of pop - are very high by european standards despite our high ticket prices.

If the clubs can get to a position similar to one or two of the Nordic countries, whereby the commercial deals allow tickets for £10 etc then I wonder if the attractiveness and crowds may go up even further?

Needs to be some decent commercial heads working together - and I dont think that the current setup which seems skewed in favour of two clubs, is the answer.

Well with Aberdeens owners history of voting I agree.
Self interest has always been the way with your club board.
Milne had the chance to alter the top league voting rights when Sevco were in the seaside leagues but chose greed over the right course of action. 
He should never be forgotten as the club chairman who held back the rest of the non-OF clubs.
Shameful behaviour from a greedy Cnut. 
I don’t believe that Aberdeen fans agreed with his position. 

Milne isn’t in charge anymore (thankfully). He was a sh*tebag of the highest order. Diamond Dave has his critics but we’re in much better hands now.

What I will say though, every chairman in the SPFL votes with self-interest. They wouldn’t be doing their job if they didn’t act in the best interests of their club, even if it’s to the detriment to what some may determine to be “the greater good”.