Clubs Are Taking The Piss Thread

43 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

You would imagine Celtic will lower the ticketing price and help their (victim) fans seeing as they got £40m Champions League money.

I know you probably not being serious but doubt it considering they even tried to put a 5% levy just to divy up away tickets in recent years. 

Tbh given how much the majority of boards in the league see our fan base as a cash cow for away games I can’t see this changing unless clubs have individual agreements with other clubs regarding setting prices. I can’t see anyone wanting to engage with Celtic over this and if they do our board probably will f**k them off as it doesn’t benefit them really.

Edited by gannonball

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

I these feckless football fans just gave up their Netflix subscriptions and skinny lattes, then they could afford a house in the Cotswolds with enough spare change to go to an away match in the SPFL. 

Thing is the guy who made up that quote never ever goes to a game or pays for a TV subscription to watch his team.

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I’ve stopped going to away games completely. Once you add up the ticket price, travel costs, and so on, just don’t want to do it any more. 

Until relegation a couple of years ago I would easily go to more than half of our away games, but i'm now at the stage where I am now most likely to only attend the likes of St Mirren (a local game for me), Motherwell, Livingston and probably Hearts as my brother stays very close to Tynecastle, due to the prices charged by the clubs plus travel costs - You are talking of over £50 before buying any food or drinks.   I'll probably head along and watch Arthurlie if they are at home when Killie are playing away from home. 

For Ross County to charge £28 is unbelievable - how can they justify that? 

I also think Kilmarnock are totally wrong charging the 2 cheeks as well as walk up Killie fans £30 - if I didn't have a season ticket I wouldn't be anywhere near it. 

I'm on a works pension but too young to qualify for state pension/concession prices so I can't justify paying the full prices being charged by the majority of the clubs.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Clubs probably think they can charge over the top for these games because they don't rely on away supports and people who go to away games are more likely to pay higher prices.

It's laughable though.  

I would say Livingston and St Johnstone would disagree with you since they over most of their ground to Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen. 

Motherwell and Kilmarnock also makes plenty from the away support due to the size of the away stand. 

1 minute ago, tam the bud said:

I would say Livingston and St Johnstone would disagree with you since they over most of their ground to Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen. 

Motherwell and Kilmarnock also makes plenty from the away support due to the size of the away stand. 

We've had our club act as if they're doing us a favour and missing out on money by putting stops in place to avoid having Rangers fans in the home end :D 

9 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

Until relegation a couple of years ago I would easily go to more than half of our away games, but i'm now at the stage where I am now most likely to only attend the likes of St Mirren (a local game for me), Motherwell, Livingston and probably Hearts as my brother stays very close to Tynecastle, due to the prices charged by the clubs plus travel costs - You are talking of over £50 before buying any food or drinks.   I'll probably head along and watch Arthurlie if they are at home when Killie are playing away from home. 

For Ross County to charge £28 is unbelievable - how can they justify that? 

I also think Kilmarnock are totally wrong charging the 2 cheeks as well as walk up Killie fans £30 - if I didn't have a season ticket I wouldn't be anywhere near it. 

I'm on a works pension but too young to qualify for state pension/concession prices so I can't justify paying the full prices being charged by the majority of the clubs.

Old man MacGregor needs to start recouping his millions imo. 

Feel part of the issue is the defeatist “won’t happen” attitude we sometimes have in Scotland. With a decent amount of fan pressure, some media coverage, maybe some strategically timed boycotts, there is an opportunity to potentially get a good number of clubs to collectively agree to, if not £20, then say a £25 max away ticket price and some of the other less financially-implicated asks. Realistic and achievable progress. That would at least stop the creeping up of prices and the lowering of flexibility standards we’ve seen.

I used to wince at paying £25 at likes of Hibs/Hearts but accept it as it’s a great away day. £30 or over takes the piss though, and other clubs getting toward the higher of the price scale just removes any motivation to head up to Dingwall/Paisley etc.

4 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Feel part of the issue is the defeatist “won’t happen” attitude we sometimes have in Scotland. With a decent amount of fan pressure, some media coverage, maybe some strategically timed boycotts, there is an opportunity to potentially get a good number of clubs to collectively agree to, if not £20, then say a £25 max away ticket price and some of the other less financially-implicated asks. Realistic and achievable progress. That would at least stop the creeping up of prices and the lowering of flexibility standards we’ve seen.

I used to wince at paying £25 at likes of Hibs/Hearts but accept it as it’s a great away day. £30 or over takes the piss though, and other clubs getting toward the higher of the price scale just removes any motivation to head up to Dingwall/Paisley etc.

Any agreement on prices would be illegal, and potentially very costly.

Those of us who have pointed this out on other threads have been described as "dafties", but we didn't make the law. If you think we're making it up, ask Rangers (2012) or Man United, both of whom were hit by multi-million fines for price-fixing.

3 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

Those of us who have pointed this out on other threads have been described as "dafties", but we didn't make the law. If you think we're making it up, ask Rangers (2012) or Man United, both of whom were hit by multi-million fines for price-fixing.

Even if it's price "capping"? Could be right, but it happens in other industries.

Was there not a 20's plenty campaign a few years ago that died on it's arse? I'm sure it got a bit of traction until it turned out all the proposed boycott days were when Celtic were away from home or something like that.

11 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

You keep posting this but you never answer the question you always get asked

How come EPL away tickets are capped at £30

We play Aberdeen this weekend. Can you buy tickets on the day? No. Can you buy tickets on-line? No. Away fans must purchase a paper ticket from the St Mirren ticket office which has restrictive opening hours.

Clubs are making it almost impossible for folk to just turn up at 3pm for a game.

I went to most Away games last season besides the OF but will be going to a lot less this season due to ticket costs, fuel costs and the difficulties in getting tickets.

3 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

We play Aberdeen this weekend. Can you buy tickets on the day? No. Can you buy tickets on-line? No. Away fans must purchase a paper ticket from the St Mirren ticket office which has restrictive opening hours.

Clubs are making it almost impossible for folk to just turn up at 3pm for a game.

I went to most Away games last season besides the OF but will be going to a lot less this season due to ticket costs, fuel costs and the difficulties in getting tickets.

Good post. There will be many Saints fans making the effort to go up there, and fair play to them, but given everything you describe, firstly, I’ll check if the game happens to be a delayed ‘as live’ BBC Alba affair, and if not, make do with keeping up with the score on the radio, and watch the highlights on Sportscene. Another thing for me is that we play each other so often, that an Aberdeen v St Mirren game just blurs into a St Mirren v Ross County game, or St Johnstone v St Mirren. It’s the same rodeo time after time. Nothing special, just another game. It’s why any away game I’m likely to go to would be something like Ayr away in the cup, or similar. It at least feels and smells different from the same old, same old.

7 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I think a lot of clubs will see dwindling away support numbers, due to the reasons that you've highlighted above.

In the past I was willing to give up many hours of my weekends to travel to certain away days. I find that these days, I don't have the time to spare to do that.

Normally I would travel to Killie, Motherwell and Livingston. However, ticket cost and fuel cost will probably discourage from me from attending, so no team will benefit from my financial input.

However, if PPV was available I would probably watch the games. However, the powers that be have decided that this won't be an option. In the current financial circumstances, I feel that this is a very short sighted stance.

I know that some will watch on HesGoal or through IPTV, but I reckon clubs could still make some money out of PPV.

My observations on recent United away supports are we take 1500-2500 fans, barely any of whom are the family driving down buying pies, juice and programmes.

It's heavily dominated by guys who lose more than than 6-8 extra quid when they blow their nose.

I think the St Johnstone model of a mixed family stand is excellent where you get cheap entry for families and folk for whom the gate price is about 20% of their day out can be fleeced in other stands.

Doesn't sort everyone out but it's a start.

22 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

You keep posting this but you never answer the question you always get asked

How come EPL away tickets are capped at £30

Good question. No doubt lots of businesses break the law. But it’s no defence if you’re the one who’s caught.

“Twenty’s Plenty” for away fans is great in theory, but I’m not having the practice being so great.

Excuse the back of a fag packet figures, but take two extreme examples in the Premiership- Celtic allow, say 700 away fans into their ground at an average of around £25 if we consider concessions. Cut the adult price to £20 and call the average about £15? Celtic lose £7000 on the away support, a tiny percentage of their matchday income for a 58,000 crowd.

Livingston allow, say 7000 Old Firm fans into their ground. If we’re assuming the same prices, that’s £70,000 worth cut from what they would bring in from their bigger gates of say, 8500.

I’ve seen this campaign gaining traction in the English Championship, but there’s not such a spread in stature of the clubs there that it’s maybe doable and will have similar impact on most of the clubs.

The two clubs who would suffer least from this in the Premiership are likely to be Rangers and Celtic, who coincidentally are the two whose gate receipts suffer least from live TV coverage.

It’s maybe all well and good for me paying a wee bit less on the Championship to see Morton away, but it’s a no from me if smaller clubs for whom every penny’s a prisoner are the ones to suffer.

18 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Rangers price fixing case pertained to independent  companies illegally conspiring to fix a minimum price for identical products to a single market.

Kilmarnock and Dundee United tickets are not the same product and are not targeted at the same market.

Well, lots of posts in the lower league forums suggest that many neutrals do indeed choose between games.

I don’t imagine that Scottish football is high on the CMA’s target list, but it would be an easy win and the downside risk is enormous. Why would you take the risk? Particularly if you’re a director of a limited company with the associated responsibility.