Clubs Are Taking The Piss Thread

These clubs have lost the run of themselves, some are making it harder for fans to buy tickets, plus we've already seen dreadful stewarding/organisation by at least one club.

What can/should be done to make things better for fans? Why do clubs hate away fans? Are you put off going to games for whatever off-the-pitch reason?

We're the biggest bunch of pathetic simps on the planet. 

I don't go to home games because of the managerial appointment and how it was handled. However, I was half planning to get to a couple of away games this season (I've not seen most of the usual away day crew in person since 2020!) but I'm not overly keen on forking out upwards of £25 to sit in a rubbish stadium with archaic facilities for two hours.

Edit: I'm not sure what prices were last season, or even during the 2019/20 season, but not going to games for a couple of seasons has really made me prioritise spending on other things over the football. Part of that is the value for money aspect.

Edited by yoda

I’ve stopped going to away games completely. Once you add up the ticket price, travel costs, and so on, just don’t want to do it any more. I buy my season ticket, and go to all the home games, bar the ones against Celtic and the Rangers 2012. I have absolutely no desire to spend any time in the company of those cnuts.

22 minutes ago, yoda said:

Edit: I'm not sure what prices were last season, or even during the 2019/20 season, but not going to games for a couple of seasons has really made me prioritise spending on other things over the football. Part of that is the value for money aspect.

I was more into travelling for away games in the past when I had less commitments but it was always pricy.

It might just be my memory but I'm sure clubs were £20+ or so 10 years ago so it being £25 is not that surprising given the way things are increasing at the moment. 

47 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

These clubs have lost the run of themselves, some are making it harder for fans to buy tickets, plus we've already seen dreadful stewarding/organisation by at least one club.

What can/should be done to make things better for fans? Why do clubs hate away fans? Are you put off going to games for whatever off-the-pitch reason?

With the way inflation is right now, £32.00 might seem as cheap as chips by the end of the season, as it's likely to be the same price as a plate of them.

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I’ve stopped going to away games completely. Once you add up the ticket price, travel costs, and so on, just don’t want to do it any more. 

Like you I’ve been priced out of away games. I can watch away games on my TV. 

Ideally we should have a “Twenty’s plenty” campaign by Supporters Direct Scotland for away Diddy fans in all leagues. 

Those over inflated wages for bang average, middle of the road SPFL Premiership jobbers aren't going to pay themselves!  The Championship isn't much better.  I reckon players (outwith the OF) in our top 2 leagues have never been richer.

17 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

With the way inflation is right now, £32.00 might seem as cheap as chips by the end of the season, as it's likely to be the same price as a plate of them.

The price is a big part of me not going to any away games these days. Another part is that I used to go home and away every week on the supporters bus back in my youthful days, 1976-1988, never missed a game. Times change. Your life changes. You prioritise other things. Whereas back then, thought nothing of going to Aberdeen away midweek, or indeed, down to Nottingham for a midweek away Anglo Scottish Cup tie against Notts County. 

Maybe if I was eighteen again, would still go to away games - if I could afford it. Certainly wouldn’t be wearing black garb and sporting a balaclava though. The actual fcuk sake of that.

Edited by pozbaird

The costs involved are ridiculous however indicative of a much wider problem in Scottish football which is related to engaging new audiences and broadening the appeal of the game. 
This is something the SPFL/the clubs have been horrible at for years. 

So much of the dialogue and actions surrounding the premier league is tribal which by its very nature speaks to those in the tribe but isn't appealing to new audiences and providing a platform for growth in viewership of fan bases. Other leagues have managed to scale beyond their borders but this is something Scottish football doesn't do in nearly the same way - it's very insular. 

Whether that's the often primitive dialogue surrounding the Glasgow derby and the OTT promotion of that,  to the 'us and them' media dialogue which permeates pretty much all football media in Scotland; it's all extremely excluding and in line with over inflated ticket prices that exclude new audiences and fans. 

The recent TV change was a part of that. Last season, there was the opportunity to grow audiences by having fans into stadia and allowing the more casual viewer to watch on TV. This is a model that exists in Germany and other countries for all games and generally widens the appeal of the league, increases fan numbers and in turn has wider commercial incentives through larger merch. sales etc. Scotland reverted to an exclusionary viewership model on the other hand. Your average Kilmarnock fan that either doesn't have the means to journey to Dingwall on a Wednesday night in mid-winter or vice-versa or supporters that don't have the money to go to away matches (or home for example) are now excluded rather than being offered a means to access their teams and again look at how we can expand the league.

It's a similar policy the SFA adopted with the Scotland team. 

In short, the prices are nonsense but are completely attune to the hubris engulfing Scottish football. 

Clubs probably think they can charge over the top for these games because they don't rely on away supports and people who go to away games are more likely to pay higher prices.

It's laughable though.  

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

Why are we constantly bottom of every table right now!!

Either way, these tables never take into account the actual lowest ticket price you can get in with. 

1 minute ago, Widge said:

Either way, these tables never take into account the actual lowest ticket price you can get in with. 

I think that's usually true for home fans but less so for away, where there's usually just a single price with a couple of exceptions.

Seeing these sorts of prices makes me glad I don't support a top tier team. I bloody love Scottish football but would struggle to justify spending £30 to watch a game very often. At the same time, I don't think many League 2 teams offer good value for money.

It's a difficult one.

There's obviously inflation to take in to account, but the clubs are trying to compete with shitey clubs down the road when it comes to wages etc. There's not enough done to improve the game from a sponsors view, so we accept a crappy television deal in comparison to what we see down the road.

Folk will always highlight Bundesliga ticket prices etc but that's a poor comparison.