Clyde vs Peterhead

I wouldn't blame the ref as such for us not winning but Newlands does seem to have a stinker every time he gets a gig. As above far too many yellows issued for nothing challenges. 

Danny got his substitutes spot on last week but today I thought they were poor. Kennedy was a wee bit shaky defensively but got to the byline and put an excellent ball in 2 or 3 times including for the first goal so I would've kept him on. Early signs are we've made more good signings than bad but Rodden just doesn't look up to this level at all. Also feel we lost something after the triple change with about 20 mins left. Cunningham was clearly running on empty so understood that change a bit more. His 2 goals were both verging on world class finishes but he seems allergic to hat-tricks after that sitter and penalty miss. 

Apart from one moment of madness when he rushed off his line, Parry was excellent both with his shot stopping and coming for crosses. Who would still prefer JBH in goal!?

It's undoubtedly very frustrating not to win that but I suppose Peterhead deserve some credit for getting back into the game so quickly. Feel that we would've went on to lose that in the last year or 2. 

I also thought Allan's first half challenge was a straight red card. It was a completely pointless, stupid tackle. There's always the chance a player can get another yellow for a mistimed tackle, or a bit of dodgy refereeing. It actually also ended up giving Peterhead a set piece which led to the first goal (though clearly a wee bit later, so you wouldn't blame him directly).

It's been obvious since the Hibs game that Lyon/Rodden are nowhere near good enough, indeed, in Lyon's case it was obvious two years ago. I've lost count of how many times he's given the ball away taking a poor touch and he can't defend a diagonal. Rodden is straight from the Billy Mortimer school. How difficult is it to go out and sign a bang average full-back? Almost impossible on the evidence of the last 10-15 years. It probably is the position that you are least concerned about but on a similar note, good players there can make a massive difference.

Still, I like the fact that there's 34 games to go and I think we can compete in any given game, playing some decent football. Today was a poor performance in some ways, but still with plenty to be entertained by. Absolutely night and day from last season when we were awful to watch even when winning; games where we'd often score from our only attack. 

46 minutes ago, CM. said:

I wouldn't blame the ref as such for us not winning but Newlands does seem to have a stinker every time he gets a gig. As above far too many yellows issued for nothing challenges. 

Danny got his substitutes spot on last week but today I thought they were poor. Kennedy was a wee bit shaky defensively but got to the byline and put an excellent ball in 2 or 3 times including for the first goal so I would've kept him on. Early signs are we've made more good signings than bad but Rodden just doesn't look up to this level at all. Also feel we lost something after the triple change with about 20 mins left. Cunningham was clearly running on empty so understood that change a bit more. His 2 goals were both verging on world class finishes but he seems allergic to hat-tricks after that sitter and penalty miss. 

Apart from one moment of madness when he rushed off his line, Parry was excellent both with his shot stopping and coming for crosses. Who would still prefer JBH in goal!?

It's undoubtedly very frustrating not to win that but I suppose Peterhead deserve some credit for getting back into the game so quickly. Feel that we would've went on to lose that in the last year or 2. 

100% correct, although I think? Kennedy was holding his hamstring after he hit bye line late in first half. Hence the substitution l.. Rodden is an absolute bomb-scare.  
As  you say the fullbacks are nowhere near good enough and at this level it makes a huge difference even if they are mealie competent.

A decent midfield addition would allow Cudihy to move to FB as I still don’t think he is creative enough in MF but is a decent FB at this level. Two issues possibly solved at once it it could happen.. doubt it will though. 

I honestly don’t get why Cuddihy is so popular amongst our support. He is completely unremarkable in every department and 9 times out of 10 takes too long to decide who he’s passing to and then the phase of play is dead.

I wanted to give Rodden more of a chance but he was poor today.

Peterheada first goal today came from P. Grant slicing at clearance straight up into the air then they bring it down, play it in the box to their number 9 who in fairness takes a great touch and finishes emphatically.

night and day from the pish last season, though. We’d have lost that last season after going down to 10 men.

what a difference having Cunningham and Allan up front this season compared to Rob Jones last season by the way. Poor Finn Harps, though…

After escaping with just a yellow (agree it could easily have been a straight red) I was hoping Danny would take the hint and hook Allan just to be on the safe side. He didn't of course and the inevitable happened. Not convinced the clash with their goalie was a yellow card offence but as has been said, there's always a chance you'll pick up another yellow so why take the risk? 

We could and should have won that and I honestly thought we would grab a winner even when down to ten men. Peterhead didn't look particularly threatening with their extra man and at times looked to be trying to slow the game down and run the clock down. Riddy. The most important thing is we didn't lose a late minute goal as that really would have been the ultimate kick in the baws and overall I think we played reasonably well. Quietly optimistic about the season now and I think we can all agree we need not fear any team in this league. 

Looking forward to another lively performance against Kelty next week. Have we played them before? Got a vague recollection of a friendly but not sure if I'm making that up...?

Lastly want to give a wee bit of love to our new (temporary) home. NDP is a similar stadium to Broadwood in some ways but I think it's definitely an improvement overall. It was worth moving for the £3 pre-match pints alone! 😅

Edited by RutherGlen

The bar before the match was excellent. Plenty of seating, cheap pints/soft drinks, plenty of TVs, food served, able to buy programmes, scarves, shirts on site, groups working with the kids, a nice buzz about the place. Superb.

That, combined with the nicer style of football, makes it a much more pleasant match day experience than Broadwood already. Even today where we threw away a two goal lead, went down to 10, and missed a penalty, I came away thinking I’d enjoyed a good day out at the football. That’s what it’s about, really.

Two great finishes from Cunningham there. I’ll begrudgingly excuse his misses given the quality of his goals.

Kennedy should continue at left back for me. Not a world beater, but something to work with. He was fine defensively and put in two great crosses. One assisted the first goal, the other laid a sitter on a plate for Cunningham. I can only assume he was injured as there was a very noticeable drop off in quality when he was replaced by Rodden. Hopefully, both he and Duthie are back next week given Allan’s absence.

After last week’s result…yes I ventured back to have a look. Yes the result was disappointing with this feckin Peterhead curse, but I thoroughly enjoyed a lot of our play…totally different from last couple of seasons. Players who want to get the ball and do something with it…all wanting to work hard and venture forward…only 531 yesterday which was a bit disappointing tbh but hopefully that will improve.

8 minutes ago, Bob731 said:

After last week’s result…yes I ventured back to have a look. Yes the result was disappointing with this feckin Peterhead curse, but I thoroughly enjoyed a lot of our play…totally different from last couple of seasons. Players who want to get the ball and do something with it…all wanting to work hard and venture forward…only 531 yesterday which was a bit disappointing tbh but hopefully that will improve.

Good to see you back, Bob.

531 isn’t the best crowd but I checked our opening home fixture from last season against Dumbarton and the crowd was 566. Dumbarton brought along a larger support than Peterhead did yesterday so it looks as though our attendance largely remains the same compared to Broadwood. I’d actually take that as quite an encouraging sign and hopefully we can build on it. A continued positive product on the park will contribute to that too, of course!

Got to say I thought the crowd looked bigger but it does always seem it when you're looking along the stand you're in rather than at it from a different stand. It's still the summer holidays too of course so might've been several fans abroad or whatever. Let's see how it holds up in the next few weeks but I wouldn't expect a sudden rapid increase just because we're playing in a different stadium and agree with Scott that getting similar numbers to Broadwood at this stage is probably a more encouraging sign than a bad thing. 

22 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

Good to see you back, Bob.

531 isn’t the best crowd but I checked our opening home fixture from last season against Dumbarton and the crowd was 566. Dumbarton brought along a larger support than Peterhead did yesterday so it looks as though our attendance largely remains the same compared to Broadwood. I’d actually take that as quite an encouraging sign and hopefully we can build on it. A continued positive product on the park will contribute to that too, of course!

Feeling like a glory hunter..lol..but performances over the last couple of seasons were woeful at times but I just sensed a totally different attitude too….

11 hours ago, Scott-Replay said:

The bar before the match was excellent. Plenty of seating, cheap pints/soft drinks, plenty of TVs, food served, able to buy programmes, scarves, shirts on site, groups working with the kids, a nice buzz about the place. Superb.

That, combined with the nicer style of football, makes it a much more pleasant match day experience than Broadwood already. Even today where we threw away a two goal lead, went down to 10, and missed a penalty, I came away thinking I’d enjoyed a good day out at the football. That’s what it’s about, really.

£3 a pint  👍

In terms of numbers, I am lead to believe that our adult season ticket sales almost the same as last season which is very encouraging. 

Never had a season book last year as I miss too many games to make it worth it, but decided to get one this year as it is more important now than ever for fans to back their club. 

2 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Quick question on the fanzone, do they accept debit cards?

My 2 boys wanted a pie at the stall yesterday and it was cash only, which they didn’t have.. (obviously old man had to bail them out as usual).

Aye I used my card in the fanzone.

2 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Quick question on the fanzone, do they accept debit cards?

My 2 boys wanted a pie at the stall yesterday and it was cash only, which they didn’t have.. (obviously old man had to bail them out as usual).

You were lucky the pie hut at our end had about 5 macaroni  pies left soon after half time so had to go hungry, not sure if Clyde or the owners are running that side of things but could be looked at. My first visit to Hamilton  and was impressed, had the car but the lounge was good & as mentioned prices were good again dont  know if this is run for the owners profit or Clydes.  Parking & getting there was ok as well.

I'm gonna stick up for Lyon here.

That was easily his poorest performance of the 4 I've seen this season, and he's been good or very good in the others.

The disappointments for me have been Rodden, and Cuddihy hasn't yet reached his standard of previous seasons.

Very impressed with what I've seen from the team so far.