Morton vs Cove

No problem with using Quitongo to stretch the game, but that should make space in midfield for us to run their slower players. That’s not what’s happening, though: we’re being dominated by a guy with one knee and a guy who’s slower than a week in the jail. Blues and Lyon totally anonymous.

We’re also losing the battle out wide, where Muirhead and Kabia aren’t doing enough to support Pignatiello and Strapp (Kabia’s body language is rotten btw).

Need to sort both those things or we’re getting beat 1-0.

McGrattan must be worth a trundle for Blues or Lyon at some point and I’d be tempted to give one of the young boys a run out wide.

We’re a hard watch, but we have a manager who totally understands his job and our situation.

Everybody knows we need a striker, but we need a different option in midfield almost as much.

Fair play to Quitongo for the finish and his overall effort; he’s a nuisance who’ll get players sent off (left-back should clearly have gone today).

Mon the fuckin Ton.

A disappointing loss. Thought we were the better side first half and didn't take the very limited chances we had. Vigurs should have done better with his header that hits the post.  

Second half we were awful, created nothing and looked loss in position. Thought Strapp was lucky to avoid a red although saying that Luis probably wouldn't have even hit the target. Morton definitely edged the second 45.

Shay heads in backwards right into the path of Jai who took the volley well. Evan should have received a second yellow late on.

Poor spectacle of a game but one we should have been able to grind out a draw from.

Onto next week.

Not great performance wise but a welcome 3 points. 

Midfield totally anonymous, with Blues and Lyon completely ineffective. Lyon who has started the season poorly, subbed. But in reality any of the midfield could have come off. The boy King at least showed a bit of grit when he came on.

Our only real threat up front was   Quitongo and he scored a belter. Robbie still not match fit after missing pre-season and Kabia only showed in flashes. 

Defence looked solid enough though and we didn't give too much away.

We desperately need another striker and hopefully another midfield player.

See what this week brings in signings....

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

A disappointing loss. Thought we were the better side first half and didn't take the very limited chances we had. Vigurs should have done better with his header that hits the post.  

Second half we were awful, created nothing and looked loss in position. Thought Strapp was lucky to avoid a red although saying that Luis probably wouldn't have even hit the target. Morton definitely edged the second 45.

Shay heads in backwards right into the path of Jai who took the volley well. Evan should have received a second yellow late on.

Poor spectacle of a game but one we should have been able to grind out a draw from.

Onto next week.

I was expecting strapp to walk for that foul in the second half. Thought Cove bossed the first half and I was happy that we went in level. Second half was much better and Jai took his goal very well. 4 points from 6 is a good return.

Well it is what it is and as expected reading season story so far as per football forums.

Team display was as most had indicated but those 3 points are our prisoners tonight!

Lyon and Blues were poor expect more from them. Kabia looked good in the warm up routines but fell away early on.

Jai just seems the same old Jai had hoped to witness some development in his game .

As always a nuisance but little to offer as outcomes, then out of the blue a goal of the season contender.

Thought Strapp got lucky but there was adjacent cover and all that Cove moaning to the ref would always rebound on them. Anyway evened it up by letting Towler stay on.

Looks like a long hard winter ahead with 8th a decent outcome. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Blue said:

I was expecting strapp to walk for that foul in the second half. Thought Cove bossed the first half and I was happy that we went in level. Second half was much better and Jai took his goal very well. 4 points from 6 is a good return.

Might have changed the game if Strapp walked but it looked like a 0-0 written all over it to be fair and I think that would have been a relatively fair result.

For Cove it's a hard defeat to take given Shay's perfectly placed header for Jai to latch onto. He took it well though and that was the difference. Goals win games! Every 3 points is hugely welcome, however you get them.

We were miles off it today, showed no creativity or drive. Mitch isolated up top doesn't work. This Cove side as it stands it far worse than that of last season.

Towler although decent is a downgrade on Harry Milne. Gerry isn't even good enough to lace Rory's boots and I'm almost certain Luis Longstaff is just a bench filler.

Thought both teams looked fairly comfortable at the back. 

18 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Might have changed the game if Strapp walked but it looked like a 0-0 written all over it to be fair and I think that would have been a relatively fair result.

For Cove it's a hard defeat to take given Shay's perfectly placed header for Jai to latch onto. He took it well though and that was the difference. Goals win games! Every 3 points is hugely welcome, however you get them.

We were miles off it today, showed no creativity or drive. Mitch isolated up top doesn't work. This Cove side as it stands it far worse than that of last season.

Towler although decent is a downgrade on Harry Milne. Gerry isn't even good enough to lace Rory's boots and I'm almost certain Luis Longstaff is just a bench filler.

Thought both teams looked fairly comfortable at the back. 

I said to my mate son as we left that id have taken 0-0. I thought cive looked very tidy but offered little going forward which surprised me given the  players they have. 

32 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

I said to my mate son as we left that id have taken 0-0. I thought cive looked very tidy but offered little going forward which surprised me given the  players they have. 

Stats, which sometimes mean nothing showed an evenly balanced game. Only 1 stat that ever counts and that's the scoreline.

We were ok on the ball outside the final third but terrible with it today where it matter. We never play 1 up top or didn't before McIntyre punted Rory McAllister.

I didn't really know what to expect from Morton having not played you before. Expected a physical test and lots of high press but that wasn't the case. You have a threat in behind with Jai and the long throw via Strapp is always a good weapon to have. Expected more from Muirhead.

It's clear both sides are still trying to assemble their squads. We need about 3 starting XI players added with good Championship quality or via loans from Premiership clubs. Ton look like another striker is needed along with a bit more creativity and gile in the middle of the park.

First time at Cappielow.

Screenshot_20220806-200920.jpg

Edited by CoveRangers1922

11 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Stats, which sometimes mean nothing showed an evenly balanced game. Only 1 stat that ever counts and that's the scoreline.

We were ok on the ball outside the final third but terrible with it today where it matter. We never play 1 up top or didn't before McIntyre punted Rory McAllister.

I didn't really know what to expect from Morton having not played you before. Expected a physical test and lots of high press but that wasn't the case. You have a threat in behind with Jai and the long throw via Strapp is always a good weapon to have. Expected more from Muirhead.

It's clear both sides are still to assembling their squads. We need about 3 starting XI players added with good Championship quality or via loans from Premiership clubs. Ton look like another striker is needed along with a bit more creativity and gile in the middle of the park.

First time at Cappielow.

It was an evenly tested game with both teams having chances a fairly enjoyable game imo and a draw would’ve been a fair result on the balance of things but Ofcourse can’t complain taking 3+ especially with a brilliant goal from Jai can see cove doing well this season so all the best ! 

41 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

It's clear both sides are still trying to assemble their squads. We need about 3 starting XI players added with good Championship quality or via loans from Premiership clubs. Ton look like another striker is needed along with a bit more creativity and gile in the middle of the park.

First time at Cappielow.

Spot on with your analysis of us. 

I was happy to see half time at 0-0.

9 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

First time at Cappielow.

Then you have Logan saying Cove bossed the game and should have won. The guy is a fanny.

3 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

Then you have Logan saying Cove bossed the game and should have won. The guy is a fanny.

I just watched that interview. 2 or 3 up at half-time is madness. We could have scored one and perhaps controlled, certainly not bossed, the last 20 minutes of the first half. Jai had a good chance after about 15 minutes that he narrowly put over the bar.

2nd half we were woeful offensively, slack in midfield at times and in final third and therefore failed to carve open opportunities for ourselves.

It was an even match in my eye, we weren't ruthless enough and Morton took advantage.

Edited by CoveRangers1922