Edinburgh City vs Dunfermline Athletic

18 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Never mind the tickets: 

If the field surface is plastic how does the javelin work?

Hopefully we find out on Saturday, that would justify the entrance fee. Football and javelin all at once

3 hours ago, AllyMonc said:

I've been negative enough about the viability of the current stadium and the absurdity of the name change on our own thread so just to say that (unlike Ainslie Park) there are plenty of good pub options nearby for Saturday, a select few below:

The Mash Tun - on Easter Rd, shows the early game if that's your thing and does food as well (15ish minutes to Meadowbank)

The Artisan - on London Rd, shows the early game and the horses. No food but decent pints (10ish minutes to Meadowbank)

Safari Lounge - on London Rd, no sport on TV but nice place, does pretty decent food (10ish minutes to Meadowbank)

The Hoppy - on Marionville Rd, shows the early game, basically just a good football pub (2 minutes to Meadowbank)

Limelite - Jocks Lodge, football and cheap (for Edinburgh) pints. (8ish minutes to Meadowbank)

There are others obviously but I think any of the above would meet most of your needs. Hoppy for me I think.

Or you could piss the board off and go to the Edinburgh City Football Club Limited at Lochend Road :lol:

ETA Westie's goalie shirt is framed on the wall in there as an added attraction

Edited by tamthebam

I'd hope to see a more natural wide player in the squad before Saturday, allowing us to move to a 4-4-2 formation. The first half against Alloa was grim and it was partly down to the lack of width. Edwards and Comrie are great supporting full backs but if we're relying on them it slows things down as we wait for the overlap. 

If we can’t get a winger in(which We’ve needed since day 1)  then I’d be tempted to go with 3-5-2 again,  that worked a lot better, especially when wighton was the one set to pick up the loose balls and try to create.

Edited by parsforlife

6 minutes ago, Stoo61 said:

On the Main Stand side just towards the Cowden end? 

Aye, that's right. Was around 1997/98ish I believe.

Edit: It's mentioned here: https://dafc.co.uk/fixture.php?t=Hibernian+match+report&SID=First+Team&D=1997-11-15&ID=1929

November 1997. Some goalscorers that day!

Edited by DA Baracus

14 hours ago, parsforlife said:

If we can’t get a winger in(which We’ve needed since day 1)  then I’d be tempted to go with 3-5-2 again,  that worked a lot better, especially when wighton was the one set to pick up the loose balls and try to create.

Not really a fan of it, but we haven't got the players just now for a 4-3-3. It's far too disjointed and feels like we are just fudging players in. Of course I'd like to see another centre half for that, but I'm sure Hamilton will be fine there with Breen and Benedictus (although he is out for this game mind you) This is of course in the scenario where we add absolutely no-one between now and the end of the window, which you'd certainly hope isn't the case! We'd also be relying on Chalmers and Allan in that situation. Think you can get away with Allan, but Chalmers is a complete waster. That game last week completely passed him by. Wasn't willing to help the team out or put a foot in. Complete waste of space. 

My worry with 3-5-2 is we’ve seen it a number of times over the years and it’s always been a problem.
Last season, granted under awful management, it left the wings in our defensive third completely exposed, culminating in that 4-0 deficit after 45 mins against Rangers before PG finally packed it in.

4-3-3 much preferred, sure we don’t quite have the players now but we need bodies in the door anyway.

I wouldn’t mind players filling in at unusual positions if they weren’t our only options. Sticking O’Hara out wide for the last 20 minutes against a tired defence is much better than having him there from the off and without reasonable replacement.

5 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Found some (shite quality) footage of it! 1.53 in to the video below:

That's the one. I was 9 to be fair, always though that was the 7-2 Edinburgh City game...same thing really 

Edited by Stoo61

3 hours ago, Andriy_Parmolenko said:

My worry with 3-5-2 is we’ve seen it a number of times over the years and it’s always been a problem.
Last season, granted under awful management, it left the wings in our defensive third completely exposed, culminating in that 4-0 deficit after 45 mins against Rangers before PG finally packed it in.

4-3-3 much preferred, sure we don’t quite have the players now but we need bodies in the door anyway.

I wouldn’t mind players filling in at unusual positions if they weren’t our only options. Sticking O’Hara out wide for the last 20 minutes against a tired defence is much better than having him there from the off and without reasonable replacement.

I don’t think we can just ditch formations forever just because how they worked when grant set them up, I think it’s fair to say he was pretty hopeless.

5 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Found some (shite quality) footage of it! 1.53 in to the video below:

5 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Westie's goalie kit there is the best in the history of goalie kits.

Couple of things:

• He probably should have been sent off for that first challenge.   

• Andy Smith was a much better player than he was given credit for.

• The whole strip (both the outfield and the goalie kit) were superb. I know some folk think thick stripes are a bit too St Mirren-ey but that was a class top, with the cotton collar and stripes on the arms. Some of our avec kits were pretty decent - the denim away kit was nice too IMO.

I don’t think we can just ditch formations forever just because how they worked when grant set them up, I think it’s fair to say he was pretty hopeless.

True, that was just an example but we also saw it a couple times at the start of a couple seasons under AJ and those attempts were also a bit of a disaster.

Again, it’s a new management team so maybe they could be more successful, I’m just not convinced it’s the best setup for us. Effectively trading shoehorning our forwards into a front 3, for shoehorning our defenders into a back 3.