Albion Rovers vs Dumbarton

That's one of those games that we'll only know the true value of in a few weeks.

It was either a gritty victory when not playing our best against an Albion Rovers side who merited a point and therefore the sign of champions. Or it was a laboured performance against the bookies' favourites for relegation who spent most of the game with 10 men.

I put the Wee Rovers eighth in my prediction thing in the paper though and, on what I saw of them today, I wouldn't have any concerns over them finishing bottom. They really did everything you'd want when your side are down to 10 men. They defended well, their keeper was solid and drama free and they looked a threat on the break. I was far more impressed with them than I was with Stirling Albion last week. My only concern would be their lack of anyone vaguely resembling a centre-forward. Get someone who can chip in with 12 goals or so this season in that team and I think they could be a real pain in the arse for a lot of sides. Better still, teach Charlie Reilly some composure in the final third and he might be that man. He looks quality in every way. Until he gets a chance to shoot. And then it's like watching a guy attempt to kick a ball as hard as he can with no regard for where he is on the park.

Nice composure for the goal mind you, if he could show that more often then there won't be too many defenders who can handle him.

As for us. Well it's a win. Brett Long only really had one serious save to make - and made it with aplomb -  and we showed good character to nab a winner late on. That aside we were clearly getting frustrated in the second-half, we struggled to put together good passages of more than four or five passes at once and we didn't work Jack Leighfield anywhere near enough.

That's not to say there weren't positives. Finlay Gray's energy made a difference and he stood up incredibly well to some pretty physical treatment. Ally Love was busy and industrious - but maybe just lacking a bit of sharpness. Gregor Buchanan and Stuart Carswell both played well and, for 60 minutes or so, I thought Ryan Blair was really tidy. He moved the ball about quickly and efficiently and was always dropping deep looking for it. Then he started trying to play far too many killer passes and lost possession far too often. But for that hour I was impressed again. I like the way he does the simple stuff.

Div Wilson made a difference when he came on, and Ryan Wallace was a bit of handful. His goal was absolutely a cross - but ironically came from Lynas crossing wings only to take a quick short throw.

All that being said though I think we'll play a whole lot better in games this season and not win them. Whilst Rovers will play worse and win.

I won't complain about six points from six, four scored and only one conceded though. Especially when I'm fairly certain we wouldn't have won that game last season. This league is going to be incredibly tight, and the fact only ourselves and Bonnyrigg have still to drop points can only highlight that.

Annan next week is going to give us a real indication of where we're at. Anyone finishing ahead of them this season will probably win the league I reckon.

Will highlights be available anywhere from the game? Be interesting to see the red card again and the goals too. I spoke to a neutral at the match who thought it was a yellow but also mentioned that he felt the Ref didn't rush into the decision and looked to consult the linesman before making his decision.

I thought the penalty was correct at the time. Looked a very clumsy challenge from the wee Rovers' player.

Hasn't been mentioned but the goal we lost was very poor. It came from one of the highly hyped long throws for us too... looked all to easy to me.

28 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Will highlights be available anywhere from the game? Be interesting to see the red card again and the goals too. I spoke to a neutral at the match who thought it was a yellow but also mentioned that he felt the Ref didn't rush into the decision and looked to consult the linesman before making his decision.

I thought the penalty was correct at the time. Looked a very clumsy challenge from the wee Rovers' player.

Hasn't been mentioned but the goal we lost was very poor. It came from one of the highly hyped long throws for us too... looked all to easy to me.

Didn't the Rovers goal come following a corner on our left after Orsi was closed down ?

Another week, another hard luck story, and we're now 0/6 and rock bottom. Playing well is great, and we did with both 11 and 10 men, and dodgy referees will come and go,, but we are in danger here.

There will come a time when injuries and poor form will hit, where we definitely will deserve nothing from games, and likely get just that. Therefore if you're not 'making hay when the sun shines' trouble will likely lie ahead.

Here's hoping there's an SPFL club sitting with a young striker who will benefit from coming out to us and filling his boots. Certainly, we have nobody like that on the books currently and playing our tallest midfielder as a no 9 smacks of desperation.

Oh and I think Dumbarton will do very well this season. They have a. cracking squad and are winning before they've all 'clicked'; similar to Stenny last week, who I think will be your main title rivals.

Bothered

Baillieston

33 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

Another week, another hard luck story, and we're now 0/6 and rock bottom. Playing well is great, and we did with both 11 and 10 men, and dodgy referees will come and go,, but we are in danger here.

There will come a time when injuries and poor form will hit, where we definitely will deserve nothing from games, and likely get just that. Therefore if you're not 'making hay when the sun shines' trouble will likely lie ahead.

Here's hoping there's an SPFL club sitting with a young striker who will benefit from coming out to us and filling his boots. Certainly, we have nobody like that on the books currently and playing our tallest midfielder as a no 9 smacks of desperation.

Oh and I think Dumbarton will do very well this season. They have a. cracking squad and are winning before they've all 'clicked'; similar to Stenny last week, who I think will be your main title rivals.

Bothered

Baillieston

It was a red card and a penalty. Both spot on. 

refs are only dodgy when ye get beat. 

30 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

Bothered

Baillieston

That's a fairly honest view and pretty much exactly what I said to my brother as we left yesterday. Lots had/have written off Albion before a ball was kicked and on the face of it - I would say there will be worse teams in our league this season. But, ultimately you have played well in 2 games and have nothing to show for it. We have been that side many times over the last few years. Playing well and looking only 1 good addition away from being a really decent team. But far too often we looked good and lost games. Right now, and last season too FWIW, I don't care so much about the football as long as the results are there.

The 2 generally go hand I hand, but at the moment we are doing things right. As you say, we haven't really gelled and look like we could do with the depth of 1 or 2 more additions. But I like the look of our squad and the balance we have throughout it. I just hope you are right and we do well.

All the best for this season and I hope you guys can pick up some points soon.

6 minutes ago, DobbiesAgent said:

It was a red card and a penalty. Both spot on. 

refs are only dodgy when ye get beat. 

That was more of a general comment than anything else, as the officials are poor at this level.

I didn't see the red card properly but I do think the penalty was soft. That said, if I think differently when (if?) I see both again, I'll happily post just that. 

From a Rovers point of view I thought we were the better team overall but alas that counts for nothing in the end. Looked as if we would take a point until a goalkeeping mishap for the Sins winner. I thought the red card was harsh but the penalty award correct.  Arguably Rovers could have been 3-0 up at that point but both sets of fans can clearly see the firepower we are lacking.

Good to see Gordon Lennon’s Dad (and the Beast) at the game.

43 minutes ago, Vodka Vic said:

From a Rovers point of view I thought we were the better team overall but alas that counts for nothing in the end. Looked as if we would take a point until a goalkeeping mishap for the Sins winner. I thought the red card was harsh but the penalty award correct.  Arguably Rovers could have been 3-0 up at that point but both sets of fans can clearly see the firepower we are lacking.

Good to see Gordon Lennon’s Dad (and the Beast) at the game.

Rumours are that John is going to sign on... I would assume if he does it's a player coach role. But he might also be winding folk up which wouldn't surprise me at all.

1 hour ago, squeezebox-son said:

Rumours are that John is going to sign on... I would assume if he does it's a player coach role. But he might also be winding folk up which wouldn't surprise me at all.

He looks really fit and has lost a right few stone. Not sure I see him as a coach, but he definitely looks likely to be signing for you as a player

56 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

He looks really fit and has lost a right few stone. Not sure I see him as a coach, but he definitely looks likely to be signing for you as a player

Yeah, to be fair he does look in decent shape (arguable better shape than he ever was with us first time around!). But it's hard to see him having a huge impact - as much as I'd love to be wrong!

I was speaking to him and he has been training with you for 4 weeks

He takes a special type of manager to take charge of him and a special type of squad, which is why he done so well for us, particularly under Paul Martin

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Not sure if Albion Rovers post a highlights package anywhere (I can’t find anything on Youtube) but the goals are in the SPFL roundup…

That Hamilton goal v Partick is even worse than Ramsbottom's last season

Edited by aftershocker
Error