Albion Rovers vs Dumbarton

A late winner against a team who have had 10 men for 70 mins is not really the way I would've wanted that to go but it's 3 points. That'll do sons, that'll do

Depends how the opposition sets up after it they can continue to be balanced which in turn makes the more open or they can revert to park the bus and settle for the draw

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The negativity chug ruined at the moment of climax due to a Ryan Wallace fluke. Sare yin.

Its not negativity mate its reality.I am delighted we won but lets be honest .we get a penalty they get a red card and it seems we fluked the winner.Everyone then goes sucking each others cocks cos we get 2 wins out of 2.Remember howwrong things went last season after 8 games .Last season you , I and others waxed lyrical about how things were going and that seriously came back to jizz us all in the face.Once bitten twice shy and all that....

1 minute ago, lorenzo71 said:

Its not negativity mate its reality.I am delighted we won but lets be honest .we get a penalty they get a red card and it seems we fluked the winner.Everyone then goes sucking each others cocks cos we get 2 wins out of 2.Remember howwrong things went last season after 8 games .Last season you , I and others waxed lyrical about how things were going and that seriously came back to jizz us all in the face.Once bitten twice shy and all that....

Just enjoy the win for f**k sake.

12 minutes ago, kenrobell said:

Depends how the opposition sets up after it they can continue to be balanced which in turn makes the more open or they can revert to park the bus and settle for the draw

Very true, I wasn't there today so I'll let the folk more in the know pick that apart. Just happy with the result 

Yeah, that was far from pretty and I expected us to control the game much more vs 10 men. But for all Albion looked decent throughout, Long had very little to do.

I won't pretend we haven't stolen that result to an extent, but we just need to take the result and move on to next week. We are capable of playing better I am sure, and hope we can produce some much better all round performances in the coming weeks. Gray was good throughout and Love pops up everywhere... although he doesn't always make the right decisions with his final ball and things.

As they say, sign of a good team to win when not playing your best etc... just hope we can continue to gel and improve.

Next...

A wins a win but Jesus we don’t half make it hard.

Initially didn’t think it was a red but others have said it was a stonewaller so I’ll take it.

Penalty again not 100% sure. After that we sat back and it seemed we didn’t know what to do apart from lumping long high balls up to our small forwards.

Gray looked good but I have to disagree on McNiff, I thought he played terrible, not a LB. 

Albions Rovers will feel hard done by IMO.

4 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Yeah, that was far from pretty and I expected us to control the game much more vs 10 men. But for all Albion looked decent throughout, Long had very little to do.

I won't pretend we haven't stolen that result to an extent, but we just need to take the result and move on to next week. We are capable of playing better I am sure, and hope we can produce some much better all round performances in the coming weeks. Gray was good throughout and Love pops up everywhere... although he doesn't always make the right decisions with his final ball and things.

As they say, sign of a good team to win when not playing your best etc... just hope we can continue to gel and improve.

Next...

Annan next week will be a real test...they look to be among the frontrunners as they were last season.Hopefully we will have Mclean back as he has had a good preseason.

4 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Annan next week will be a real test...they look to be among the frontrunners as they were last season.Hopefully we will have Mclean back as he has had a good preseason.

I agree. Annan will be a decent measure of how we are doing. I also think we missed McLean today. He was good last week and his direct play lead to our first goal last week.

Love was all over but contributed less out wide and Orsi wasn't offering much at all (as he done all last year). McLean being back would be a nice addition for sure.

That was a big win considering we didn’t really look like scoring a second goal in the second half.

I didn’t think we were that bad, we just didn’t really use the ball well enough. There was acres of space on either wing for the full backs to overlap all second half and we decided to stay narrow and keep the full backs deep. Probably a reaction to how quick Albion Rovers looked on the counter.

Anyway, we won ugly. I’m pleased with that and I though Finlay Gray and Gregor Buchanan were our best, with Ryan Blair having an impressive first 45.

19 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

A wins a win but Jesus we don’t half make it hard.

Initially didn’t think it was a red but others have said it was a stonewaller so I’ll take it.

Penalty again not 100% sure. After that we sat back and it seemed we didn’t know what to do apart from lumping long high balls up to our small forwards.

Gray looked good but I have to disagree on McNiff, I thought he played terrible, not a LB. 

Albions Rovers will feel hard done by IMO.

Terrible really?  I find that comment mental.  I dont think he put a foot wrong and won every ariel battle.  He is clearly under instruction not to venture far from position, and that suits him.

Pretty dire performance but will take the win. Won’t get away with that most weeks and we seemed to miss McLean badly. 

Felt a bit sorry for Albion Rovers. Sickening way to lose and they would have likely turned us over if that clown hadn’t got himself sent off. 

We were 2nd best for much of the game today. We can think a very good Brett Long save and then the crossbar for still being in the game. Sending off was obviously a major change in the match. Players didnt seem to complain too much but it'll be interesting to see a replay. Thought our penalty was soft. Thought that the Albion Rovers player who went down in our box shortly after should have been booked for diving. Our complete lack of intensity until about the 75th minute has to be a worry. Blair worked hard enough in the middle of the park. I thought Love was our best threat for much of the game and that Byrne did well trying to chase the woeful long balls we kept playing. On the other hand I thought Findlay Gray was very raw and we need to be careful how we develop him this season. I'm concerned that it won't take much for Farrell to get spooked and to stop playing him and for Gray's head to go down. Exactly what seems to have happened to Callum Wilson, and we've seen how badly he's regressed. Also thought that Rovers did well closing down McKee and we never really saw much creativity when he was on the park. You'd have struggled to tell which team was a man short unless you counted them because Albion Rovers kept playing a high tempo press even with a man short. Orsi was also disappointing.

I'm delighted with the win. It was probably harsh on the home side, who deserved something from the match and who could easily have taken all 3 points but for Brett Long and his crossbar. We've got a lot of work to do trying to find a combination of players that actually work as an attacking unit.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

It was hard to pick out which team had ten men at times and Rovers can feel hard done by not to take anything but I'm now enjoying a beer and toasting our best start for 7(seven) years. Long may it continue.

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

We were 2nd best for much of the game today. We can think a very good Brett Long save and then the crossbar for still being in the game. Sending off was obviously a major change in the match. Players didnt seem to complain too much but it'll be interesting to see a replay. Thought our penalty was soft. Thought that the Albion Rovers player who went down in our box shortly after should have been booked for diving. Our complete lack of intensity until about the 75th minute has to be a worry. Blair worked hard enough in the middle of the park. I thought Love was our best threat for much of the game and that Byrne did well trying to chase the woeful long balls we kept playing. On the other hand I thought Findlay Gray was very raw and we need to be careful how we develop him this season. I'm concerned that it won't take much for Farrell to get spooked and to stop playing him and for Gray's head to go down. Exactly what seems to have happened to Callum Wilson, and we've seen how badly he's regressed. Also thought that Rovers did well closing down McKee and we never really saw much creativity when he was on the park. You'd have struggled to tell which team was a man short unless you counted them because Albion Rovers kept playing a high tempo press even with a man short. Orsi was also disappointing.

I'm delighted with the win. It was probably harsh on the home side, who deserved something from the match and who could easily have taken all 3 points but for Brett Long and his crossbar. We've got a lot of work to do trying to find a combination of players that actually work as an attacking unit.

I agree with most of this.  Two wins is a great start, but that's now two matches where the opposition has been reduced to ten men without any significant alteration to the course of the play.  Midfield continues to be a problem area as we seem unable to create decent passages of possession and today we worryingly reverted to long balls far too often.  I'm hoping we see McLean back next week at the expense of Orsi as we really need someone to drive at the opposition and produce end product.

Real credit is due however to Albion Rovers who closed us down very well and generally played the more coherent football whilst reminding us that there will be no easy fixtures in this division.  On another day and possibly with a different referee they could well have won that today.