Albion Rovers vs Dumbarton

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

Based on Faz's post match comments about welcome headaches and players holding onto jerseys, I think we might see an unchanged starting team, with increased numbers on the bench.

The old loyalty against putting the best team on the park schtick.  I'd have gone with the former if we hadn't practically disappeared as an attacking force from the fifth minute onwards last Saturday.

Farrell's job is to get us out of this division, so whilst there can be a case for benching Wallace on his return from COVID I think Gray should start a game we should be looking to win.

4 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

Recently bought our first house... I'd recommend looking in Clydebank because the same houses were going for thousands less. When we looked into it, Dumbarton was one of the top up and coming areas in the country apparently! 😲🎉

The only downside to that is having to live in Clydebank.

19 minutes ago, microdave said:

The only downside to that is having to live in Clydebank.

Aye but it's a few miles saved on petrol when ye need to go to Glesga. Depending how often that is, with the price of petrol, you can use those savings to buy a house in Dumbarton. 

See the source image

Going to be interesting v a team who I think will finish the season by lifting the trophy,

Rovers have a tough start to the campaign, but have shown that if the starting 11 is fit we can compete,

Dumbarton will line up with 5 ex-rovers players in the squad, including Byrne up front, whose 2 goals last week equaled his total amount of goals last season at Rovers (1 in the league Cup then 1 in the league on the openning day of the season)

I was a bit gutted for him, he played in a game v cowdenbeath on the 11th September, then didn't play until the 15th of January, got injured again at the start of March and missed the last 10 games of the season.

I also noticed he has been subbed either on or off in all his games for Dumbarton this season, meaning not only hadn't he scored since last August but he still hasn't played a full 90 Minutes either

6 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

Going to be interesting v a team who I think will finish the season by lifting the trophy,

Rovers have a tough start to the campaign, but have shown that if the starting 11 is fit we can compete,

Dumbarton will line up with 5 ex-rovers players in the squad, including Byrne up front, whose 2 goals last week equaled his total amount of goals last season at Rovers (1 in the league Cup then 1 in the league on the openning day of the season)

I was a bit gutted for him, he played in a game v cowdenbeath on the 11th September, then didn't play until the 15th of January, got injured again at the start of March and missed the last 10 games of the season.

I also noticed he has been subbed either on or off in all his games for Dumbarton this season, meaning not only hadn't he scored since last August but he still hasn't played a full 90 Minutes either

Aye, Faz said a couple of weeks ago that he was still getting up to speed - and that it would be another few weeks until he was ready to play 90 minutes.

His goals at the weekend were a nice surprise. Up until then I thought he looked like a grafter, someone who could work defenders a wee bit - but not a goalscorer. But both on Saturday were good striker's goals. A tap in after the keeper spilled a shot and a really good first time finish. There have been a few wee flashes of him and (another ex-Rover) Ryan Wallace being on a similar wavelength too.

Hopefully he can stay injury free and be the striker (note, striker. Not a number 10. Not a winger. Not a second striker. And actual, old-fashioned centre-forward...) we've been needing for quite a while.

Aye, Faz said a couple of weeks ago that he was still getting up to speed - and that it would be another few weeks until he was ready to play 90 minutes.
His goals at the weekend were a nice surprise. Up until then I thought he looked like a grafter, someone who could work defenders a wee bit - but not a goalscorer. But both on Saturday were good striker's goals. A tap in after the keeper spilled a shot and a really good first time finish. There have been a few wee flashes of him and (another ex-Rover) Ryan Wallace being on a similar wavelength too.
Hopefully he can stay injury free and be the striker (note, striker. Not a number 10. Not a winger. Not a second striker. And actual, old-fashioned centre-forward...) we've been needing for quite a while.
Both are good players but both injury prone,

One of our apprentices was on Albion Rovers books. Alfie Robinson. Is he still there and does he get a game?
He moved to cowdenbeath during the summer,

At times he was great, strolled round the park like he owned it and had scouts watching him from bigger clubs

But his lethargic style that made him look good also made him prone to mistakes that usually led to goals

He was on the bench only really got a start when others were injured

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Just watched the really decent match preview on YouTube, and I see the Wee Rovers are trying to even up the former players curse by having Carlos Lyon training with them 👀

Screenshot_20220805-120914.thumb.png.fb85cc5267e8a3afaf86f739f02cda8a.png

Why has he changed his name? Am I being too cynical to think it's for a sinister purpose?

1 hour ago, microdave said:

Why has he changed his name? Am I being too cynical to think it's for a sinister purpose?

I may be wrong but I think it was following the charges of some kind of sexual assault, so yeah you may be correct. But I also feel like the sexual assault thing was before he played for us too. Someone will confirm anyway I'm sure.

Maybe he thought he'd have a better chance of finding a club if he didn't have 64 previous clubs to his name.

Think we'll have Wallace in for Love and Gray in for Blair tomorrow. Don't have anything to really base that on other than its what I'd do and equally wouldn't be that surprised if we had the same starting 11 as last week just based on the managers comments. 

Ideally I'd want to see McGeever getting some minutes as well but can't see him starting after 10 months out.

I reckon it might be Wallace in for Orsi and Love shunted out wide. Maybe see Gray come in to the midfield but it is difficult to say if he would replace McKee or Blair.

On another note, where's the best pre match pint to be found these days? Bus cancelled so will be through on the train and arriving between 13:30 and 14:00.

11 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

I reckon it might be Wallace in for Orsi and Love shunted out wide. Maybe see Gray come in to the midfield but it is difficult to say if he would replace McKee or Blair.

On another note, where's the best pre match pint to be found these days? Bus cancelled so will be through on the train and arriving between 13:30 and 14:00.

Big Owen's Bar.

I used to absolutely love an away day to Coatbridge back in the Davie McNaught glory days. A pre match scoop or five at Owens after a hawf tonic on the train was always part of the ritual and I’m fairly gutted I’ll be missing it tomorrow - honeymoons are decent but they aren’t quite an away day to Cliftonhill.

Tough match for the Wee Rovers. I assume Dumbo are up there with Stenny (possibly Stirling too) in the highest playing budget stakes. A good chance of former players coming back to haunt. Rovers need to get their shooting boots on for the morra.