Airdrieonians vs Falkirk - 06/08/22

Let's start this one up early, why not.

I don't think we'll concede anywhere near as many as we did last year and I suspect McGlynn will go with the same defence that looked solid vs Montrose. I think McCann has something to offer, but not entirely sure how he fits in to the team.

I live in hope that we can get another striker in before this as we've offered worryingly little up front in all the games so far. I'd also drop Nesbitt for McGuffie based on yesterday.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

Can see this being quite a cagey affair. It certainly won't be the one way processions of the last season and a half. McGlynn sounds like he has tightened up Falkirk, while I still worry that we will again create loads but the final finish could be better. Signing Mochrie would be a big boost if that materialises. However, ending the game 5 points ahead of Falkirk already is a tasty thought, even at this early stage in the season.

Don't imagine there will be many goals, or it'll be 4-4, one of the two!

Definitely will be a tighter game than past encounters, Falkirk seem to be quite light upfront according to their thread but have figured out how to defend. We have carried on the same style of football as last season brilliantly which I think falkirk won’t be able to defend this early in the season as clearly they are actually rebuilding now.

The possibility of Callum Smith up against Ryan Williamson is already giving me nightmares. Hopefully he runs into a Coll Donaldson brick wall when he inevitably cuts inside onto his right foot.

If we don't sign anyone this week I don't see us scoring.

Can see this being a lot closer than our previous encounters. Looking at Falkirk's defensive record, you've only conceded 1 goal in the league Cup games and an impressive win against Hibs.

Think you've got a good manager in McGlynn and he'll definitely make you hard to beat, especially in the early days. Some of your posters on your forum writing off your season after one 0-0 draw against Montrose is wild IMO.

I'd definitely be feeling a lot more confident if we got a couple of bodies in this week, if we score early and put in a similar performance to the St Mirren game, I think we will be comfortable winners, however, the longer the game goes on, and if our dreadful finishing hasn't improved, Falkirk may sneak it 1-0 from a set piece.

Have Airdrie ever beat a team with McGlynn in charge? Our record against Raith Rovers was dreadful. Saturday is such a great chance to already go 5 points above potential promotion rivals already. Our slow start last season cost us, good that McCabe has highlighted the importance of a good start to the season.

17 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Can see this being a lot closer than our previous encounters. Looking at Falkirk's defensive record, you've only conceded 1 goal in the league Cup games and an impressive win against Hibs.

Think you've got a good manager in McGlynn and he'll definitely make you hard to beat, especially in the early days. Some of your posters on your forum writing off your season after one 0-0 draw against Montrose is wild IMO.

I'd definitely be feeling a lot more confident if we got a couple of bodies in this week, if we score early and put in a similar performance to the St Mirren game, I think we will be comfortable winners, however, the longer the game goes on, and if our dreadful finishing hasn't improved, Falkirk may sneak it 1-0 from a set piece.

Have Airdrie ever beat a team with McGlynn in charge? Our record against Raith Rovers was dreadful. Saturday is such a great chance to already go 5 points above potential promotion rivals already. Our slow start last season cost us, good that McCabe has highlighted the importance of a good start to the season.

We beat Raith a couple of times during his first spell there, I remember Chris Fahey gifting us a couple of goals in a play-off semi up at Kirkcaldy before we went on to lose yet another final. Our record against his second Raith team was one draw and five defeats, four of which were 1-0. McGlynn does give me the fear, he absolutely has it in him to shitfest a 1-0 win with us missing loads of chances. I think we'll have more of the ball and if our forward players click then we should score, but whether they're able to break down a stubborn Falkirk defence enough and also not do anything daft at the other end is a different question. 

Winning and going five points ahead of Falkirk early on would be nice but as we saw last season, it doesn't count for much at this stage. I think Falkirk went six points ahead of us after the 2-1 game last season where Cones was jumping about as if they'd won the league and fans were saying they were playing like Barcelona, so I won't get too carried away either way. I'm looking forward to the game though, should be a good marker for both teams. 

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

We beat Raith a couple of times during his first spell there, I remember Chris Fahey gifting us a couple of goals in a play-off semi up at Kirkcaldy before we went on to lose yet another final. Our record against his second Raith team was one draw and five defeats, four of which were 1-0. McGlynn does give me the fear, he absolutely has it in him to shitfest a 1-0 win with us missing loads of chances. I think we'll have more of the ball and if our forward players click then we should score, but whether they're able to break down a stubborn Falkirk defence enough and also not do anything daft at the other end is a different question. 

Winning and going five points ahead of Falkirk early on would be nice but as we saw last season, it doesn't count for much at this stage. I think Falkirk went six points ahead of us after the 2-1 game last season where Cones was jumping about as if they'd won the league and fans were saying they were playing like Barcelona, so I won't get too carried away either way. I'm looking forward to the game though, should be a good marker for both teams. 

Paul Sheerin doing the ronny roar and pumping his chest after a 2-1 win in August really came back to haunt him.

42 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

This is exactly as I see it,   Falkirk to sit in, with McGinn and Hetherington playing justt in front of a deep lying defense ,   if Airdrie get in front early, we could win this comfortably,  if Falkirk hold their nerve and get driven on by a 3 thousand strong away support they could do it,   an early season classic...  A slight caveat. Never underestimate McG lynn Ball......

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

We’ve beaten a John McGlynn side a few times. Beat Raith twice in the 09/10 season. Beat them in the playoffs in the 07/08 season and also in the league that season, when McGlynn was in charge. 

Edited by GoalForAirdrie

1 minute ago, Senor Bairn said:

Aye it really haunted us, we ended up... in the exact same league as you lot this season again x 

Don't think i said it haunted Falkirk, i said it haunted Paul Sheerin as he was sacked 3 months later after a 3-0 pumping to us x

Don't think i said it haunted Falkirk, i said it haunted Paul Sheerin as he was sacked 3 months later after a 3-0 pumping to us x
He was sacked because he had no fucking idea what to do, having repeatedly said as much in interviews. Don't give yourselves too much credit. Every manager in the league done their bit in exposing how little that man knew.

Think this game will come too early for our current squad. Very unlikely to score and Airdrie have enough quality up front to nab a goal or 2.

That could obviously change with a couple of signings, but they’re far more likely to come at the end of august than this week