The countdown to Livingston beating Dundee Ushited in the spl

Not long home. Utd had off day, of that there's no doubt. But immense credit is due to Livingston. Fitness levels are really impressive as is their teamwork and desire. Ross Graham had a day to forget but Nouble is something else - an absolute giant so was winning plenty balls in the air, but in fairness pretty decent with the ball at his feet.

United will need to get this out the system pretty quickly. After the high of Thursday we're well and truly back down to earth with a bump.

4 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Sibbald excellent again. Apart from that, not much to report

Funnily enough I was thinking Sibbald had a really quiet game by his standards.

Once he fully settles and provided he can remain injury free; I think you're in for a treat.

36 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Disappointing but too early to panic.  Hopefully they will lift themselves for Thursday.

For the good of their league campaign, it would help United to be knocked out on Thursday.

4 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I didn’t even make it through the second.

As far as Euro hangovers go, that was a 27 pinter. Rarely have I ever seen a team less interested in the job at hand.

Special mention must go to McMann who seemed unsure what sport he was playing. Smith on the other side was little better.

Cudjoe was our man of the match. In fact if you were to tot up the match ratings of the rest of the team, he should probably outscore them all put together.

Sadly he couldn’t win the game on his lonesome.

I'm not going to red dot you, as I never do, but if you never made it through the second half, the rest of the post hasn't credence.

23 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

For the good of their league campaign, it would help United to be knocked out on Thursday.

That may be correct, but there is a great deal of money to made for clubs at our level if qualification for the group stage is achieved.

1 minute ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I'm not going to red dot you, as I never do, but if you never made it through the second half, the rest of the post hasn't credence.

That may be correct, but there is a great deal of money to made for clubs at our level if qualification for the group stage is achieved.

Don’t we know that. 

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I’d sacrifice fourth place for qualification to the group stages.  So long as we finish in the top six.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Go ahead. It’ll make you feel better.

I fairly obviously made it through at least some of the second half if I’m commenting on Cudjoe’s performance - I’m not a seer.

6 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

If red dotting folk makes you feel good, you must have a miserable life. 

Another aspect from today: I think United perhaps missed Harkes. He closes down space very well, and Livingston had too much time in midfield.

I support United.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I’d sacrifice fourth place for qualification to the group stages.  So long as we finish in the top six.

Given your vast experience I’m sure you realise football doesn’t work like that. And if United do somehow make it into the group stages, it’s a relegation battle ahead.

9 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Given your vast experience I’m sure you realise football doesn’t work like that. And if United do somehow make it into the group stages, it’s a relegation battle ahead.

If, and it’s a big if, we go through on Thursday night then we have a reasonable chance of qualifying for the group stages.  I reckon we could do that and avoid being drawn into a relegation dogfight.

We would also be in a far better financial position to strengthen the squad at Christmas if it was required.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

If, and it’s a big if, we go through on Thursday night then we have a reasonable chance of qualifying for the group stages.  I reckon we could do that and avoid being drawn into a relegation dogfight.

We would also be in a far better financial position to strengthen the squad at Christmas if it was required.

Your points are valid, and I would agree that if you do go through on Thursday you do have a more than decent chance of the group stage. But to temper things slightly, we've been in that position more than once in the last nine years, and are still waiting. Good luck though. 

37 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Your points are valid, and I would agree that if you do go through on Thursday you do have a more than decent chance of the group stage. But to temper things slightly, we've been in that position more than once in the last nine years, and are still waiting. Good luck though. 

Yeah, I suppose our views are tempered by our own experiences.

I’m a bit far from home now to experience the games in person and have probably not missed being at a game as much as I did on Thursday night.  I’m desperate to get to the group stages so I have a chance of being at a game whether it’s an away leg or heading back for a home tie.

11 minutes ago, Fletchers Saucy Manbun said:

These two and Forrest have always shown up well against United, Holt is annoyingly good at running matches. Surprised noone has sniffed around these two as Hearts have with Forrest.

Pittman turned Aberdeen down a few years ago after we'd accepted a bid

1 minute ago, Fletchers Saucy Manbun said:

These two and Forrest have always shown up well against United, Holt is annoyingly good at running matches. Surprised noone has sniffed around these two as Hearts have with Forrest.

I think its to do with the differing desires of the three players. Forrest is younger and his career is still on its upwards trajectory. He had no particularly strong connection to Livi as we'd just taken him from Ayr how Hearts have now taken him from us. Pittman and Holt are older. Livingston is Pittman's entire professional career, he's local, he's a former teammate of Martindale and he's utterly adored by the fans so there's a strong level of attachment to the club with him. Then with Holt, he's already experienced the big time both with Rangers and in England. He likely came to Livi because he wanted to be an integral member of a team rather than the peripheral figure he'd mostly been at his bigger clubs. He's probably just still young enough, though, where he could yet move onto a bigger club again. I hope not!

2 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Pittman turned Aberdeen down a few years ago after we'd accepted a bid

2 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

I think its to do with the differing desires of the three players. Forrest is younger and his career is still on its upwards trajectory. He had no particularly strong connection to Livi as we'd just taken him from Ayr how Hearts have now taken him from us. Pittman and Holt are older. Livingston is Pittman's entire professional career, he's local, he's a former teammate of Martindale and he's utterly adored by the fans so there's a strong level of attachment to the club with him. Then with Holt, he's already experienced the big time both with Rangers and in England. He likely came to Livi because he wanted to be an integral member of a team rather than the peripheral figure he'd mostly been at his bigger clubs. He's probably just still young enough, though, where he could yet move onto a bigger club again. I hope not!

Aye Pittman just doesn't want to leave Livi, in an interview Martindale said he signs extended contracts without even reading them, Davie had to tell him to go get an agent, just wants to quietly go about playing football and loves playing at Livi.