Penicuik Athletic 2022-2023

There are obviously certain people on here these days just out fishing to get bites, I get that but in all fairness his comments does come off the back of what should be a title challenging side leaving the cup with a 2-1 defeat against Coldstream !!!

I get there have been injuries for Stevie this season but it’s his job to build a squad with enough depth to handle these situations, I'm sure there will be a big named striker inbound shortly judging by his after match comments, which may help turn his season around. but for me, penicuik have fallen short on too many occasions already this season.

50 minutes ago, Blue White Dynamite said:

The bubble has defo “burst”. Your posts r so boring take read the noo - far better aff ignoring them and his amateur pals 🥱

you cannae hide the truth - of course the cookie r oan a downward slide - read fanfromforfars post above which of course - is also the truth - enjoy ur night BWD!

23 minutes ago, fanfromafar said:

There are obviously certain people on here these days just out fishing to get bites, I get that but in all fairness his comments does come off the back of what should be a title challenging side leaving the cup with a 2-1 defeat against Coldstream !!!

I get there have been injuries for Stevie this season but it’s his job to build a squad with enough depth to handle these situations, I'm sure there will be a big named striker inbound shortly judging by his after match comments, which may help turn his season around. but for me, penicuik have fallen short on too many occasions already this season.

spot on m8🤝👍

18 hours ago, fanfromafar said:

Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink?

Of course I’d love us to sign a striker to replace Aiden Walsh who can solve our current issues but they don’t grow on trees, or come cheap.  We already acquired a striker signed earlier this year who’s managed about 20 mins so far due to, you guessed it, injury so no idea if he’ll be the solution.
Not optimistic at all about playing Musselburgh this week. Another week of having to shuffle the pack and putting together what we can hope will be a more productive result but recent games against them have been tough and theyve been on a good run. 

Anyway, enough about us, what’s been going on at Jeanfield, their run is almost as bad as ours…

1 hour ago, norwichbobby said:

Of course I’d love us to sign a striker to replace Aiden Walsh who can solve our current issues but they don’t grow on trees, or come cheap.  We already acquired a striker signed earlier this year who’s managed about 20 mins so far due to, you guessed it, injury so no idea if he’ll be the solution.
Not optimistic at all about playing Musselburgh this week. Another week of having to shuffle the pack and putting together what we can hope will be a more productive result but recent games against them have been tough and theyve been on a good run. 

Anyway, enough about us, what’s been going on at Jeanfield, their run is almost as bad as ours…

Very fair point, Aiden Walsh will & has left a very big void in that squad to fill, therefore there must be a bit of budget available from that sale at Stevie's disposal to go out and do a bit of business to replace him? No?
This is going to sound like im all out attack against the cuiky now but in all honesty, after recent twitter browsing, I have to say i found it very odd to see that for a club (penicuik) to preach on about how much their squad is depleted by injuries that they are sending out experienced players on loan to fellow premier league clubs (o'donnell to tynie) what was the reasoning behind that one? surely if tynie are taking him in on-loan then that is to play, if he's fit enough to play for Tynie in the premier league then surely he's fit enough for Penicuik.   

I agree with the Jeanfield comment, they too are very much under performing from what i expected from them this season. Always a hard place to go to but they are struggling a bit on the road this year.

It's a small, tough crowd at Penicuik.  Steve always seems to be a couple of loses away from pressure.  From looking at the highlights, the team seem to have lost their way a little.  Perhaps the squad has too many inexperienced players at this level?

I don't think finances should be brought up as an excuse though - Penicuik seemed happy (wealthy) enough to pay a 5 figure sum to get some analytical group on board so things must be fine on that side of things?

Loadsamoney

It's a small, tough crowd at Penicuik.  Steve always seems to be a couple of loses away from pressure.  From looking at the highlights, the team seem to have lost their way a little.  Perhaps the squad has too many inexperienced players at this level?
I don't think finances should be brought up as an excuse though - Penicuik seemed happy (wealthy) enough to pay a 5 figure sum to get some analytical group on board so things must be fine on that side of things?
Loadsamoney

Don’t believe everything you read in the papers. The club didn’t mention the cost, the writer of the article did.

• 2 months later...

What’s everyone’s thoughts after Saturday then? Penicuik supporters thoughts? I was at Olivebank and I will tell you right now that there was only ever one team winning that match. Now I have supported Penicuik through the good times and the bad & I have held back on ever creating an account on here for long enough but I think it’s time for me to vent, our club is now going in the wrong direction, we should have our sights on the lowland league but we are so far off that. The players look drained, unmotivated and without any togetherness. I think recruitment has been terrible and A big thing was made on the investment of the data equipment this season, some impact that’s had. each week I watch back the highlights and Stevie’s after match interviews, you can see now that this are is taking its toll on him. I never want to see any manager loose his job but we need a big reaction and u-turn quickly.

Frank.

Edited by Franky Bhoy

Mcleish is not the man for the job. Very bad recruitment and can only signs players from heriot watt and tynecastle. Interviews are embarrassing and he couldn’t motivate me to eat a toffee pudding. He blames players rather then himself and if it’s not his players it’s the officials. Club should fine him for evening news article. No shock ref gave a soft pen Saturday after that. We’ve gone backwards since he took over. Challenging for league to mid table.

For all I'm happy with the result as a Musselburgh man I'd be careful what you wish for here.  Who would be any better for you than Stevie is at the moment.  Stevie's a decent manager and many at the Burgh would have been happy to have him back here at recent points in our past.

Musselburgh's going through a great spell (with a hugely well liked and sharp manager)just now as have Penicuik in the recent past, you were only only stopped short by Tranent flinging money at their 'project' in the same time-frame last season.  Took us a wee bit to arrive at the place we're at with Liam now after a few managerial juggling acts since we lost Geordie who had been an absoulte star for us. Set high standards and you've made a noose for your own neck but I'd trust Stevie  to turn this around (don't think it needs that much to do that, Penicuik are nowhere near a rank side after all).

Who is about and available that would replace him?  Who would offer better to Penicuik right now?  Got a fair bit of time for Penicuik, love a game up there and a lot of decent people up there, there is a wee edge to some of their supporters though that certainly puts that (smallish) group into the 'you'd never mistake them for a ray of sunshine' set.

More time to pull together than creating difficulties you don't need to.  No more than my thoughts, know that some Cuikie fans will reckon it's none of my concern but offering a bit of a neutral perspective.

1 hour ago, RobM said:

For all I'm happy with the result as a Musselburgh man I'd be careful what you wish for here.  Who would be any better for you than Stevie is at the moment.  Stevie's a decent manager and many at the Burgh would have been happy to have him back here at recent points in our past.

Musselburgh's going through a great spell (with a hugely well liked and sharp manager)just now as have Penicuik in the recent past, you were only only stopped short by Tranent flinging money at their 'project' in the same time-frame last season.  Took us a wee bit to arrive at the place we're at with Liam now after a few managerial juggling acts since we lost Geordie who had been an absoulte star for us. Set high standards and you've made a noose for your own neck but I'd trust Stevie  to turn this around (don't think it needs that much to do that, Penicuik are nowhere near a rank side after all).

Who is about and available that would replace him?  Who would offer better to Penicuik right now?  Got a fair bit of time for Penicuik, love a game up there and a lot of decent people up there, there is a wee edge to some of their supporters though that certainly puts that (smallish) group into the 'you'd never mistake them for a ray of sunshine' set.

More time to pull together than creating difficulties you don't need to.  No more than my thoughts, know that some Cuikie fans will reckon it's none of my concern but offering a bit of a neutral perspective.

You said Stevie is a decent manager,  I would say Stevie “WAS” a decent manager, in my opinion he is too old for the current game and his recruitment this season has shown how out of touch with it all he really is. We need a young enthusiast manager at the helm, like when Johnny Harvey first came in (although keep him as far away from Penicuik as possible now, he’s burnt that bridge)

This year, apart from Summy, we are missing 5 of our top scorers from last year and the replacements just haven’t done the job.  Injuries have been woeful and I can’t recall when we last picked the same team twice. I thought the winter layoff would allow players to recover but we only had 4 subs on Saturday and one of them wasn’t fit to play.  We haven’t won away since early season and we’re now 2 games into a 6 game run of away games.  Crowds are also down, although I note that a couple of other clubs are seeing the same thing.  It’s easy to say it’s down to results but they were down at the start of the season when we were nearly top of the league.

As said already, I’m not sure who you’d bring in as a new manager, or if that’s the solution . The club went for the ‘safe’ option with Stevie, so would Grant Sandison want another go? He’d certainly give youth a chance. 
This weekend is a big chance to turn it around at HOB as they seem to be struggling too.  Lose that one and the confidence will spiral further down hill with only one inevitable consequence…..