Raith Rovers vs Dundee FC - 6/8/2022

Up until the first goal I was about ready to join those who think we’ll get relegated.  We were awful for the first 15/20 minutes, not sure if it was Murray wanting to protect the two young CHs but our midfield was dropping far too deep and we had a massive gap between them and Gullan.  Every time we cleared the ball it would just come straight back and our habit of hitting high balls to Connolly and Ngwenya was bizarre given it was obvious immediately that neither were going to be able to win the ball.

Thankfully we started to come into it a lot more after the goal and how we haven’t managed to take at least one chance is beyond me.  Nolan looks ok at the back.   O’Riordan though looks good and definitely isn’t lacking confidence.  You’d expect that as the two of them play together more they’ll start to look a bit more solid, but we could really do with a bit of experience in there cause at the moment our defence is all over the place as none of them seem to know what each other is doing.  At one corner O’Riordan was standing marking nobody and was having to ask who he was meant to be marking.  Dick is no different to last season, Millen was poor and slowed things down far too much.  Midfield and upfront, we played some nice stuff at times and created a lot of chances but it’s all a bit pointless if there’s nobody in the team who can actually put the ball in the net.

Edited by SanStarko

I reckon it was the Kenny Crawford magic working once again.

I do also reckon Raith will be more than fine this season, there's still a month to go in the transfer window and the team will gel together behind the manager and likely a new striker, and you'll be comfortably mid-table and maybe jabbing upwards at a play-off berth.

We still need a lot of work done, as we once again seemed to change up tactics quite a bit mid-match. These are the type of miserable wins we need to be picking up on the regular if we're to build any sort of consistent winning this season.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I was away to ask you where you were during the 2005 / 2006 Alan Kernaghan season, but it might upset you.

It's fine. We were in the seaside league getting pumped 5-1 by Gretna with a defence marshalled by Chris McLeod and Willie Lyle.

I've no issues  discussing it. In fact my trauma therapist said it might help.

54 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

We need people to make proper decisions to set strikers up with decent opportunities. It was long ball after long ball for Gullan who to be fair won a few but no one around him to profit most of the time. Ross was dung for the majority of the game, offered little meaningful support. Both full backs are bombscares, Millen is slow and indecisive and Dick is just not at the races, physically and mentally at this level. Brown works hard but is so slow and has a pish first touch. 

Gullan should have buried that chance when the ball came across goal,  and was absolutely useless at any attempt to hold the ball up.

That isn't his fault,  as he isn't a centre forward.  But it's absolutely the glaring problem right now.

There's plenty decent balls in the box, but virtually zero in the way of aggression towards the ball.  Plenty players peeling off and waiting for the ball to bounce rather than attack it.

Other than that, we were fine.  But fine doesn't win games.

Edited by CALDERON

25 minutes ago, thommohawk said:

Wasn't at today's match but seen the Aberdeen and Cove games. If you're alluding to dominating either of those games your argument won't last very long because you never. Looked need and tidy with no cutting edge and susceptible at the back.

We absolutely dominated possesion the first half against Cove tbh.  Not so against Aberdeen, but had a decent spell of 20 mins or so but again, no cutting edge.

2 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Gullan should have buried that chance when the ball came across goal,  and was absolutely useless at any attempt to hold the ball up.

That sums him up. He doesn't have the reactions necessary to be a striker.

35 minutes ago, thommohawk said:

Wasn't at today's match but seen the Aberdeen and Cove games. If you're alluding to dominating either of those games your argument won't last very long because you never. Looked need and tidy with no cutting edge and susceptible at the back.

I wasn't counting Aberdeen, but I was including Cove in the "arguably", alongside our game against Dumbarton. 

I'm not saying we deserved to win the game against Cove, far from it, but first half in particular the Rovers dominated the ball. And my greater point is exactly that the Rovers have no cutting edge and are susceptible at the back. 

4 minutes ago, tiggerbounce said:

Away. Thought he had a good game. Only players I wouldn’t give pass marks to are Stanton Dick and Millen

Tbh he didn't say he had a bad game.  He said he isn't a striker.  Which he isn't.  

Thought we didn't play that bad bar the first 10-15 minutes when we simply didn't start. Jamie at fault for the goal and no idea why he was trying to rush a goal kick to Connolly to win in the air.

Once we settled down we played better and as soon as Easton game on we looked much better. The first time this season it looked like we had a structured team with Stanton looking much better not having to anchor the midfield.

Clearly we need a striker so no point going on about that. Got to trust either Connell gets in ahead of Gullan and can do it or we have someone else lined up.

As disappointing as it was to lose today I'm actually more optimistic than I have been after the last few weeks. We have 2 actual real and proper centre backs now who will only get better together with more training and matches. We created chances and Connolly looks like he's stepped up another level. Been our best player two weeks in a row now. Next week is a big match as we're at home against a team we need to be beating if we want to have any success this season.

Yes it’s a disappointing result. Getting sick of being negative on here so taking some positives from this. Two centre backs looked comfortable, a few miscommunications which I’m sure will iron themselves out the more they all play together.

The goal? I’m sure there was about 4 of them huddled round the player that scored?

Dick and Millen I simply cannot get on board with. Millen too many times caught out of position and dick just no better. Ngwenya I was confused to see go off instead of dick? Surely with how brutal dick had been you pull ngwenya back instead.

Stanton looked really far off it. Not going into it too much but I really was not impressed. Connolly as per put everything into the game and is they type of players all others should be looking at and following. Ross looked good as well and put a shift in. Easton changed the game, had the freedom to play a bit further forward and seemed to be taking the piss out of the Dundee players with his turns etc.

Gullan isn’t a number 9. There is no doubt however he had a good game, seemed to win everything in the air, generally good play. He doesn’t work as a single striker, we need someone to be able to play off him and score the goals required.

Wont comment on other subs as there wasn’t too much time for them to play however I do like that he has sacrificed defenders with them minutes to go to attack.

At the end of the day, 2 games in. Yes it doesn’t look promising but with an experienced striker and some more time to gel, I’m certain there’s a team in it. Would like to see some more of Murray’s outwork every team idea though.

18 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

As disappointing as it was to lose today I'm actually more optimistic than I have been after the last few weeks. 

I'm much the same. Saw enough today against a team who will be there or there abouts that we should be fine. We're one point worse off than we were at this point last season so not the end of the world. 

Thought we started well today and then made life very difficult for ourselves. Still not convinced by our defence and the brainfuck moments they have, the difference between last week and this one is Partick took advantage of our mistakes and Raith were close to doing the same. It was a very even game in the end. Legzdins needs back asap, it’s just a shame we can’t loan Sharp out as he will be a good keeper with time. I always like a visit to Kirkcaldy and the good atmosphere in the away end!

Hopefully Keyes is getting tucked into a few bottles of wine tonight and Bowyer gets him to part with some cash to sign the players we desperately need.

1 hour ago, Raith_Raver said:

Gullan is no striker. You can bet that every time there's a ball across the box for a tap in he'll arrive late.

Dick, and now Millen are like rabbits in the headlights whenever they go forward, they've no intuition whatsover, play stops while they think about options.

Ross had a bad game.

Still, O'Riordan inspires confidence. Nolan not bad but caught out a couple of times.

Nolan was awful. Not that I think that's a permanent state of affairs, but he looks every inch a player who hasn't played in 2 years.

1 hour ago, tiggerbounce said:

Away. Thought he had a good game. Only players I wouldn’t give pass marks to are Stanton Dick and Millen

Gullan was hopeless today. Being stuck with him for another two years is disastrous.

I'm also not relishing another two years of Stanton and Ross, and that's before we even get on to Murray and his signings.