Scottish football's losers in 10 years

21 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yeah but County are clearly in a false position because of MacGregor.  When he's not around they'll drop below us.

I was thinking that, but I was surprised to see that they had a larger average attendance when you were last in the same division. They're maybe spending outwith their means, but (to an ignoramus, at least) it looks like they still have a decent supporter base to fall back on.

8 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I was thinking that, but I was surprised to see that they had a larger average attendance when you were last in the same division. They're maybe spending outwith their means, but (to an ignoramus, at least) it looks like they still have a decent supporter base to fall back on.

They didn't.  They just said they did.

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

TheScarf is probably right in saying County are in a bit of a false position because of the chairman's investment, but while our rise through the leagues might have been slower than ICT's, there's no particular reason to think our natural position is any lower than theirs now. Despite the growth of the city over the last couple of decades and a Scottish Cup win, the good people of Inverness don't seem particularly bothered about their local team.

1 minute ago, Forfinn said:

TheScarf is probably right in saying County are in a bit of a false position because of the chairman's investment, but while our rise through the leagues might have been slower than ICT's, there's no particular reason to think our natural position is any lower than theirs now. Despite the growth of the city over the last couple of decades and a Scottish Cup win, the good people of Inverness don't seem particularly bothered about their local team.

How much would estimate the attendances are being fiddled by, just out of curiosity?

TBH, it was a bit of a surprise to see an average just shy of 4,000 in the Championship.

22 minutes ago, BFTD said:

How much would estimate the attendances are being fiddled by, just out of curiosity?

TBH, it was a bit of a surprise to see an average just shy of 4,000 in the Championship.

I think you meant to direct that at TheScarf rather than me, but I suspect County were reporting the number of tickets "sold" rather than the actual attendance. That's a fairly common practice rather than fiddling the figures, as such. (I agree it's a fairly pointless thing to do, and I don't know if ICT do the same thing or not)

Therefore, season ticket holders are included regardless of whether they were actually at the game or not. Due to historic reasons, there were still a number of legacy season tickets in circulation - people who'd got long-term tickets as part of previous investment in the club or as gifts, but maybe didn't always (ever?) use them. My understanding is they've been cut back since our most recent Championship winning season.

There were also people like me who paid a share of a season ticket despite knowing I wouldn't be able to realise its full value, but wanting to support the club's immediate return to the top flight.

Edited by Forfinn

3 hours ago, Forfinn said:

I think you meant to direct that at TheScarf rather than me, but I suspect County were reporting the number of tickets "sold" rather than the actual attendance. That's a fairly common practice rather than fiddling the figures, as such. (I agree it's a fairly pointless thing to do, and I don't know if ICT do the same thing or not)

Therefore, season ticket holders are included regardless of whether they were actually at the game or not. Due to historic reasons, there were still a number of legacy season tickets in circulation - people who'd got long-term tickets as part of previous investment in the club or as gifts, but maybe didn't always (ever?) use them. My understanding is they've been cut back since our most recent Championship winning season.

There were also people like me who paid a share of a season ticket despite knowing I wouldn't be able to realise its full value, but wanting to support the club's immediate return to the top flight.

I just figured you'd have more of an idea about how realistic the figures would seem, having attended the matches.

It still looks pretty impressive, and on paper it certainly looks like there's been a slow increase in ticket sales since entering the SFL. Sorry, I feel like shite today and I've just been enjoying myself by looking through statistics  :P